Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › National League at risk
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 373 Guests

National League at risk

This thread currently has 155,771 views. Print
90 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
TownSNAFU5
January 21, 2021, 8:05pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,876
Gold Stars: 42
Reports by a York fan that 12 NL teams have asked for the season to be suspended/abandoned.

The case just continues to get stronger.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 90 - 899
DB
January 21, 2021, 8:06pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.48
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,000
Gold Stars: 386
Quoted from forza ivano
i had been wondering what Hurst in particular, and other Div 2 managers in general, might do, if the National league was suspended tomorrow.
Would you be able to ,say, furlough the best paid players and then play the youngsters until the season's end? Doing that you'd save a shedload of money and give the youngsters the opportunity and experience to try and win a first team place for 21-22.
Alternatively would you just soldier on with the present bunch, so saving yourself having to make 'firefighting' signings and give you a chance to work on bringing in long term targets in the summer?
or would you go 'for broke' by splashing a bit of cash and trying to bring some players in now who would then be able to hit the ground running in August?

Interesting scenario Forza I think Hursty would consult with the Three Amigos and see what their reaction would be and, given no relegation, how much cash would be available now. How much for the summer. My own preference would be cherry pick the best of the National players and top up in the summer to fill any gaps.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 91 - 899
ginnywings
January 21, 2021, 8:21pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,109
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from Rodley Mariner
I don't see how you can furlough a professional footballer under contract. Furlough is an alternative to redundancy but we can't make them redundant as they have a fixed term contract. I think you'd be inviting considerable scrutiny if you furloughed all your senior pros and played the kids.

Think you're right. They voluntarily took a 25% pay cut last time. Plus we have received the Prem grant, so we should be ok.

Besides, if the EFL continues, we have no recourse to furlough anyone.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 92 - 899
GollyGTFC
January 21, 2021, 8:30pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,977
Gold Stars: 356
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
Reports by a York fan that 12 NL teams have asked for the season to be suspended/abandoned.

The case just continues to get stronger.

That's just 12 of the 22 National League North teams. They have written an open letter stating their position.

4 of the 21 National League South teams are refusing to fulfill any of their upcoming fixtures.

That's 16 out of 43 or 37% of Step 2 clubs who have already made public their opinion for suspending (abandoning) the season. Only 3 have come out in support of either of the other 2 options (all for league taking loan and giving out grants to clubs). 2 clubs have rejected all 3 options.

As I predicted, there is silence from the Step 1 clubs as they wait to see what happens at Step 2.

Looking increasingly like the season will be suspended (abandoned).
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 93 - 899
GollyGTFC
January 21, 2021, 8:36pm

Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings

Think you're right. They voluntarily took a 25% pay cut last time. Plus we have received the Prem grant, so we should be ok.

Besides, if the EFL continues, we have no recourse to furlough anyone.

Furlough isn't just for those who would otherwise be made redundant. A company can furlough anyone. An employee can also request to be furloughed. An example: a company might choose to furlough a pregnant employee as they deem her to be at significant risk.

Everyone seems to be missing the human aspect in all this. Some people (even professional footballers) might be quite happy to be furloughed given what is going on in the country.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 94 - 899
Mikey_345
January 21, 2021, 9:13pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +11 / -1
Approval: +5,354
Gold Stars: 100
Quoted from GollyGTFC

That's just 12 of the 22 National League North teams. They have written an open letter stating their position.

4 of the 21 National League South teams are refusing to fulfill any of their upcoming fixtures.

That's 16 out of 43 or 37% of Step 2 clubs who have already made public their opinion for suspending (abandoning) the season. Only 3 have come out in support of either of the other 2 options (all for league taking loan and giving out grants to clubs). 2 clubs have rejected all 3 options.

As I predicted, there is silence from the Step 1 clubs as they wait to see what happens at Step 2.

Looking increasingly like the season will be suspended (abandoned).

The 12 teams make clear they want a suspension to allow time to find a solution and avoid null and voiding the season.

Step 3-6 have the option to restart in August which I can see more and more being the way 1 & 2 May end up going.

All Town aren’t we

@GTFCLondon

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 95 - 899
louth_in_the_south
January 21, 2021, 9:15pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +25 / -12
Approval: +5,672
Gold Stars: 94
I doubt any L2 player would want to be furloughed as it would mean they can’t train with the squad as that would be classed as their employment which would have a knock on effect for their fitness  for next season, especially if they’re on a 1 year contract ?

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 96 - 899
GollyGTFC
January 21, 2021, 9:32pm

Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Mikey_345

The 12 teams make clear they want a suspension to allow time to find a solution and avoid null and voiding the season.

Step 3-6 have the option to restart in August which I can see more and more being the way 1 & 2 May end up going.

I think the idea is to suspend the league and then...

If crowds are allowed in August null and void this season and start again.

If crowds aren't allowed back until end of the year they could theoretically continue this season and complete it in May 2022.

Personally I think the 2nd option is pie in the sky.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 97 - 899
louth_in_the_south
January 21, 2021, 9:59pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +25 / -12
Approval: +5,672
Gold Stars: 94
Surely if a few teams in the NL follow suit and refuse to play then the whole league collapses and makes it nearly impossible for it to carry on as a competition?

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 98 - 899
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
January 21, 2021, 10:03pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,824
Gold Stars: 553
Quoted from GollyGTFC

I think the idea is to suspend the league and then...

If crowds are allowed in August null and void this season and start again.

If crowds aren't allowed back until end of the year they could theoretically continue this season and complete it in May 2022.

Personally I think the 2nd option is pie in the sky.

I’d be shocked if mass crowds can attend by Aug
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 99 - 899
90 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › National League at risk

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.