Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › National League at risk
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 205 Guests

National League at risk

This thread currently has 155,703 views. Print
90 Pages Prev ... 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 Next All Recommend Thread
DB
February 24, 2021, 2:23pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.50
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +3,971
Gold Stars: 386
I think to an extent the NL has a big problem caused by covid. Some teams have been able to play consecutive matches and get a run going. Others have won a game and then hit by covid, then their next opponents have covid. This results in stop start on the pitch and destroys any momentum and rhythm.

Some teams have benefited by postponements by having injured players return to the team, who would have been laid off foe a few matches. I cannot see any justifiable argument for deducting points from teams for next season because they have run out money.

The whole covid thing with the NL is an utter and total mess. It has been mismanaged and clubs that were solvent have been put in precarious positions by an inept board.  The only solution to me is to make it null and void. I do feel for the Torquay's etc. but you have to look at the full picture and not the 'elite' few.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 870 - 899
Swansea_Mariner
February 24, 2021, 6:08pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,430
Gold Stars: 63
You'd think those seven clubs would be doing some back channeling on whether to stop playing as the options to me seem to be:

• Spend circa half a million pounds for no reason;
  • Take some kind of points deduction/much smaller than half a million fine for next season.

If you've got a third of the division starting off on minus points I would have thought that would be much more favorable to chucking half a million down the drain
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 871 - 899
DB
February 24, 2021, 7:14pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Swansea_Mariner
You'd think those seven clubs would be doing some back channeling on whether to stop playing as the options to me seem to be:

• Spend circa half a million pounds for no reason;
  • Take some kind of points deduction/much smaller than half a million fine for next season.

If you've got a third of the division starting off on minus points I would have thought that would be much more favorable to chucking half a million down the drain

Can't really see why they should get any points deduction for doing what the league rules tell to do, stay solvent!

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 872 - 899
KingstonMariner
February 24, 2021, 8:50pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from DB

Can't really see why they should get any points deduction for doing what the league rules tell to do, stay solvent!

Rules are stay solvent AND fulfill your fixtures.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 873 - 899
DB
February 24, 2021, 9:06pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Rules are stay solvent AND fulfill your fixtures.

But you one to do the other

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 874 - 899
KingstonMariner
February 24, 2021, 11:31pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from DB

But you one to do the other

No. The rules are you have to do both. Not easy obviously. But the rules are not mutually exclusive.

The big question is will the NL enforce both. I doubt they will. Micawberism rules ok in football.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 875 - 899
WOZOFGRIMSBY
February 25, 2021, 2:23pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,798
Gold Stars: 178
Sounds a bit of a ridiculous situation. And why weren’t actions put in place at the start of the season, by both the NL and the EFL with regards to what would happen if you know, anything crazy like a second wave hit the country. This cannot be left at the doors of the clubs and the league’s executives not make the decision.

If it was at the best interest of the clubs involved, a decision should’ve been made when the second lockdown went into full affect

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 876 - 899
DB
February 25, 2021, 3:37pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Yeovil have are/have run out of money :-

https://nonleaguedaily.com/yeovil-will-not-be-able-to-complete-this-season-without-loan/

Looks like they will take a loan but it's not 100%. They could stop playing after 1st March.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 877 - 899
louth_in_the_south
February 25, 2021, 9:35pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +24 / -12
Approval: +5,651
Gold Stars: 94
Maybe all the clubs who voted to continue could give them a grant

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 878 - 899
aldi_01
February 26, 2021, 6:25am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Given that 22bn was spent on a system that didn’t work and multi multi million pound deals were given to mates of ministers, surely someone on the NL executive committee has a government minister friend that could just slip them enough cash to hand out to the clubs that need it...no strings attached?

In all seriousness it just seems a mess. You can’t criticise clubs for voting to play on but you can also sympathise with clubs in a mess, the whole thing has swiftly turned in to farce and doesn’t seem to in anyway able to improve...

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 879 - 899
90 Pages Prev ... 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › National League at risk

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.