Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › National League at risk
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 217 Guests

National League at risk

This thread currently has 155,702 views. Print
90 Pages Prev ... 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 Next All Recommend Thread
DB
February 19, 2021, 12:30pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.50
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +3,971
Gold Stars: 386
Quoted from RichMariner
I imagine those clubs who have been forced to continue will be doing their sums and making some big decisions over the next day or two.

The NL are basically telling them to complete the season and if they don't have the finances to do it then apply for a loan, to be repaid over the next decade, thus weakening their budgets for each of the next 10 seasons as they attempt to pay it off.

Call me old fashioned but this just doesn't seem a very nice thing to do. Surely the NL has a duty to look after its member clubs, not drive them into debt?

They might complete this season but they might also drive a few clubs into insolvency along the way. That can't be right.

Maybe these clubs will refuse the loan and play kids — it's looking like the only viable option. This is meant to be an 'elite' division.

It's an absolute joke of a division. Yes, you're damn right I wouldn't care this much if we weren't on the precipice. But we are, so I care. If that makes me a bad person then so be it. But I'm not hoping for a club to go to the wall just so it grants us a reprieve; I'm hoping the opposite.

Null and voiding the NL season will protect clubs and stop them spending/borrowing money they don't have. It hasn't happened, but I wonder how those who 'lost' the vote are going to play things now.

Your right what you say. I believe that 7 clubs voted not to continue so it will be interesting what they will they will do. If they do a Dover then the league will be untenable. If they field weakened teams then it can be argued that they are not complying with the spirit of the competition and are competing in name only. If they have no money and will not take the loans the options for them are decreasing all the time.

As many have posted it's a mess.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 830 - 899
GrimRob
February 19, 2021, 12:59pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,397
Gold Stars: 113
It should be renamed to the Notional League

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 831 - 899
BobbyCummingsTackle
February 19, 2021, 2:07pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,192
Gold Stars: 291
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
What about “integrity” though”?

We are talking about football, integrity is in very short supply.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 832 - 899
RonMariner
February 19, 2021, 3:55pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.41
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,539
Gold Stars: 224
Might help the players focus. While cancellation of the NL looked possible, even probable,  it may have been tempting to think we would be ok regardless of what we did on the pitch anyway.

Now we know the cavalry is almost certainly not coming to our rescue it is all down to us.      
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 833 - 899
Mikey_345
February 19, 2021, 3:56pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +11 / -1
Approval: +5,308
Gold Stars: 100
Kings Lynn releasing a statement today that they can fulfil their next two games but cannot commit to carrying on past 27th Feb at this stage.

All Town aren’t we

@GTFCLondon

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 834 - 899
RonMariner
February 19, 2021, 4:05pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.41
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,539
Gold Stars: 224
Quoted from Mikey_345
Kings Lynn releasing a statement today that they can fulfil their next two games but cannot commit to carrying on past 27th Feb at this stage.

If KL and Dover chuck the towel in results from something like 40 games will have to be voided.

If another couple of clubs follow suit then it really does start to look chaotic.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 835 - 899
DB
February 19, 2021, 4:12pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.50
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +3,971
Gold Stars: 386
Quoted from RonMariner

If KL and Dover chuck the towel in results from something like 40 games will have to be voided.

If another couple of clubs follow suit then it really does start to look chaotic.

It's already chaotic , the NL board just won't admit it. Heads in sand hope the situation will go away.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 836 - 899
louth_in_the_south
February 19, 2021, 4:43pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +24 / -12
Approval: +5,651
Gold Stars: 94
It’ll start to drastically change the table if results are wiped out left right and centre.

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 837 - 899
aldi_01
February 19, 2021, 4:56pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Quoted from Mikey_345

Interesting that the teams finding it difficult are teams that once upon time threw cash at things, Kings Lynn and Dover were two that instantly come to mind.

I know they’re all struggling but those two have made it clear they’re essentially unable to finish the season when not so long ago both were paying wages above what plenty of league 2 clubs were.

Will this make the league a farce? I guess so, I’m sure the excrement weather hasn’t helped, let alone Covid. I notice tomorrow the only games off are Macclesfield (obvs) and Dover/Kings Lynn.

I know there are teams well behind and some have played bang on the money, it just seems a mess and in truth whatever the outcome it was never going to please all of the people.

It’s also extremely sad and a pretty big example of how excrement we are and what has happened to us...again, to be wishing that a league be cancelled in order to stay up...

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 838 - 899
GrimRob
February 19, 2021, 5:25pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,397
Gold Stars: 113
The best way out is to Merge League 2 and Step 1 into League 2 North and South with National League North and South feeding into them. Step 2 would become Step 1 so everyone in non-league would rise a Step. Almost everyone would have reduced costs and attendances when they get back should be up.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 839 - 899
90 Pages Prev ... 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › National League at risk

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.