Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › National League at risk
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 396 Guests

National League at risk

This thread currently has 155,764 views. Print
90 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
DB
January 19, 2021, 6:38pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.48
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,000
Gold Stars: 386
Quoted from arryarryarry

Erm.............what the frig are you on about, what the effing hell as being an "elder" club got to do with it, we went down because we were crap, nothing else, no Covid, no foreign chairman not paying players, why the fooking hell should other clubs have had sympathy for us?

So why should we have sympathy with the national league. I believe you said :-

"I think it is pretty sad that some are hoping that another League has to shut down and that professional footballers aren't allowed to play the sport they love just to save our skins."

1 question - Is your allegiance to Grimsby Town or not?

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 899
arryarryarry
January 19, 2021, 6:54pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,040
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from DB

So why should we have sympathy with the national league. I believe you said :-

"I think it is pretty sad that some are hoping that another League has to shut down and that professional footballers aren't allowed to play the sport they love just to save our skins."

1 question - Is your allegiance to Grimsby Town or not?

Does the 'D' stand for male private?

I think it is sad that people are hoping that another League has to cancel its season so that we stay up.

As regards my allegiance to Grimsby Town. I have been a supporter for over 55 years, I have never missed a home game because I didn't want to be there.

If we are relegated it will be because we have signed a load of crap players and haven't got enough points. If the NL is cancelled or the EFL is cancelled and we stay up that is fair enough but to wish that is pretty petty.
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 899
bawarmy
January 19, 2021, 7:08pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.25
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +2,005
Gold Stars: 32
We are bottom of the league as I type so I would take the National league voiding. Saying that  there’s nothing to say we will finish bottom two if we continue. So let them finish and let the Grimsby grit shine.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 899
Mariner_09
January 19, 2021, 7:17pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,192
Gold Stars: 55
We need to remember that everyone else immediately above us is also garbage. It will take 2-3 better players and we'll survive.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 899
DB
January 19, 2021, 7:26pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.48
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,000
Gold Stars: 386
Quoted from arryarryarry

Does the 'D' stand for male private?

I think it is sad that people are hoping that another League has to cancel its season so that we stay up.

As regards my allegiance to Grimsby Town. I have been a supporter for over 55 years, I have never missed a home game because I didn't want to be there.

If we are relegated it will be because we have signed a load of crap players and haven't got enough points. If the NL is cancelled or the EFL is cancelled and we stay up that is fair enough but to wish that is pretty petty.

Your personal comments are very demeaning and I can add to your 55 years. The reason Town is in this mess is solely down to 2 people F & H the reason of which have been listed many times on this site.

While I admire your reasoning for football to be judge of a league I don't recall a fist full of managers shouting Covid, Covid we can't  play football because of covid. F & H destroyed any hope of Town playing football as we know it before a ball was kicked; and points on the board.

And their is no point in us trying to score points against each other. You are fully entitled to your view on this subject, which I respect; likewise you should respect the my view and others who want Town to stay up, regardless of how.

UTM

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 899
forza ivano
January 20, 2021, 5:52pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,159
Gold Stars: 265
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 899
GollyGTFC
January 20, 2021, 6:00pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,977
Gold Stars: 356
Quoted from forza ivano

So the options are...

1) Saddle your club with debt.
2) Saddle the league with debt and then clubs get nothing from the league anytime soon.
3) Suspend the season (which is code work for abandon because if they stop through lack of funds there's no way it would restart anytime soon).

Whichever way they go it's probably a good time for a forward thinking league club to try and buy some of the best young talent in the National League (you know how Peterborough have been doing for years).
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 56 - 899
lew chaterleys lover
January 20, 2021, 6:34pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,716
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from Mariner_09
We need to remember that everyone else immediately above us is also garbage. It will take 2-3 better players and we'll survive.

Other garbage teams will do that as well though, won't they?

We aren't the only ones desperate to get out of trouble. We cannot mount an attack let alone score enough goals to win a game.

I am not optimistic at all; I had hoped that we would have got more players in by now to give us a chance, with whoever is pulling the financial strings well aware we might actually need to shell out a bit of cash to get our number one targets.

I have only seen one team worse than us in terms of overall performance - Scunny - and we are asking a lot to improve sufficiently to be safe.
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 899
Lincoln Mariner 56
January 20, 2021, 6:45pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,688
Gold Stars: 73
Would concur that to get the right quality players in we may need to pay transfer fees for a number of them and as we know the Conference has some excellent players who will at the present time have concerns over their futures as will their respective clubs.

Let’s be honest if we consider the income we will lose by going out the league we must be willing to spend a significant sum to try and ensure this doesn’t happen.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 899
Fillipe Noche
January 20, 2021, 6:54pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.62
Rep Score: +3 / -21
Approval: -5,112
Gold Stars: 103
In the event that the National League chooses option 2, it has far reaching consequences.

Option 2 involves the National League taking on the loan and the liability for that loan. Subsequently then distributing this loan to member clubs by way of grants that do not need to be repaid.

But the National League intends to repay this by holding back future central funding that the NL member clubs would have got. So essentially clubs would be voting to take money now, that they would have got later. Just to enable them to finish the season.

What will they do in the future when a big part of their central funding is held back? Back to square one.

What if central funding changes in the future?

Will the FA even be happy with the NL for holding back central funding to repay government loans, that ordinarily should be passed on to clubs,

Here is the biggie though. If they choose option 2 with the significantly reduced future central funding payments, this has an affect on clubs that are promoted or relegated to the National League. Imagine if that’s us, relegated and having to cope with reduced central funding because of the votes of member clubs in the NL prior to our arrival.

In the event that they choose option 2, there will be moves from the EFL to deny promotion/relegation from EFL/NL. Why would any EFL club want to welcome any NL clubs when their fellow EFL clubs risk dropping into a league with reduced funding.

Interesting 48 hours ahead
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 899
90 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › National League at risk

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.