Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Grismby Town Forum - The Fishy GTFC Fishy Boards Archive › National League at risk
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 357 Guests

National League at risk

This thread currently has 155,008 views. Print
90 Pages Prev ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... Next All Recommend Thread
GollyGTFC
January 23, 2021, 10:38am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,926
Gold Stars: 347
Quoted from marinerdazza
I fully expect a u turn. The latest statement is obviously designed to push this.

3 million people have fallen through the cracks of the government's various job retention schemes and grants for self employed people. It's nearly a year in to this mess and they haven't u-turned to help those people. What makes you think they are going to backtrack and help 66 National League clubs?

How this government works is they using polling companies to check how policies are effecting their polling numbers in key constituencies. If it's damaging them they will then do a u-turn. The National League fiasco won't effect their numbers. Therefore I would be amazed if they did a u-turn.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 130 - 899
davmariner
January 23, 2021, 10:42am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +37 / -10
Approval: +4,860
Gold Stars: 75
Quoted from GrimRob
It will cost the government more to furlough the staff including players than it would to continue. I wouldn't bank on a u-turn not happening

But then would it be good politics of them to give taxpayer money to keep a football season going and arguably risking spreading the virus even further as they don’t have testing.

It’s hardly a high profile Marcus Rashford style campaign that has forced u-turns in previous months.

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 131 - 899
MeanwoodMariner
January 23, 2021, 10:50am

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.39
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,673
Gold Stars: 8
Quoted from GollyGTFC

The EFL will not accept any sort of truncated National League this season. Not a chance. All 3 EFL divisions will complete in full. And the NL will be required to do the same or there will be no promotion or relegation.

Also, remember EFL rules require a club losing it's membership (i.e. being relegated from League 2) has a league to play in. If crowds aren't back by August then the NL will not start and the relegated clubs won't have a league to play in.

Therefore the EFL will demand a full completion on the NL this season & a 100% cast iron guarantee that next season's NL will start on time & be completed in full. Very unlikely the former will happen or proof of the latter could be offered.

I completely agree that there needs to be a league to relegate the teams to. However, I'm not convinced that the FL will reject promotion from the NL based on a truncated season. Barrow and Harrogate are here after all. If the NL conclude their season in any sort of form, eg. just playing everyone else once, then they could put forward two teams to be promoted. The FL may reject them but there's at least a conversation to be had and I wouldn't bet much against them being admitted to the league.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 132 - 899
marinerdazza
January 23, 2021, 10:54am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.87
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +4,593
Gold Stars: 80
Quoted from GollyGTFC

3 million people have fallen through the cracks of the government's various job retention schemes and grants for self employed people. It's nearly a year in to this mess and they haven't u-turned to help those people. What makes you think they are going to backtrack and help 66 National League clubs?

How this government works is they using polling companies to check how policies are effecting their polling numbers in key constituencies. If it's damaging them they will then do a u-turn. The National League fiasco won't effect their numbers. Therefore I would be amazed if they did a u-turn.

Don’t get me wrong, I hope you’re right. I’m just very pessimistic at the moment.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 133 - 899
DB
January 23, 2021, 10:56am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.54
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +3,872
Gold Stars: 383
I can only quote Hurst'y words about Town which refer to the national set up "It's a mess".

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 134 - 899
GollyGTFC
January 23, 2021, 11:00am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,926
Gold Stars: 347
Quoted from MeanwoodMariner

I completely agree that there needs to be a league to relegate the teams to. However, I'm not convinced that the FL will reject promotion from the NL based on a truncated season. Barrow and Harrogate are here after all. If the NL conclude their season in any sort of form, eg. just playing everyone else once, then they could put forward two teams to be promoted. The FL may reject them but there's at least a conversation to be had and I wouldn't bet much against them being admitted to the league.

Last season the National League completed as much of their season as the EFL did at L1 & L2 level. The EFL will 100% expect the same this season. And "the same" this season means completing the season in full.

Remember last season there was no promotion and relegation between National League North/South & the 4 "Premier Divisions" below. And that will be repeated this season. Why should the NL expect 2 promotion places when they haven't promoted any sides into their own league for 2 years?
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 135 - 899
MeanwoodMariner
January 23, 2021, 11:11am

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.39
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,673
Gold Stars: 8
Quoted from GollyGTFC

Last season the National League completed as much of their season as the EFL did at L1 & L2 level. The EFL will 100% expect the same this season. And "the same" this season means completing the season in full.

They accepted 2 teams from a league that didn't complete last season. I just don't get why you're so certain that they have to complete as much as the FL to get 2 promotion places again.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 136 - 899
ginnywings
January 23, 2021, 12:07pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 538
https://www.kentonline.co.uk/maidstone/sport/national-league-rule-out-loan-options-241244/

This article suggests National League teams won't be able to go much longer without grants, of which there doesn't seem to be any switch by the DCMS as yet.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 137 - 899
TownSNAFU5
January 23, 2021, 12:49pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,773
Gold Stars: 41
As long as the Prem keeps going to distract people and improve morale.  It is also very high profile.  The Gov don’t care about very low-level football.  There are much bigger fish to fry.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 138 - 899
Gaffer58
January 23, 2021, 1:17pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,035
Gold Stars: 31
Said this before,just cannot believe all those executives that run the different leagues did not have any agreed plans for what the different scenarios would be before the season started. That way everyone knows where they stand.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 139 - 899
90 Pages Prev ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Grismby Town Forum - The Fishy GTFC Fishy Boards Archive › National League at risk

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.