4 Pages 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Poojah
January 18, 2021, 11:18am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.24
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,413
Gold Stars: 1,497
Shrewsbury manager in intensive care with Covid. It's surprised me that it's taken this long for someone in English football's inner circle to become seriously ill - not everyone involved in the game is a super-fit twenty-something.

The Premier League and EFL seem intent on persisting with this season, but you have to wonder if more cases of serious illness (or worse) might force them into a change in tact.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Poojah
January 18, 2021, 11:22am
Vodka Drinker
Update: apparently was in intensive care, now out of it but still in hospital recovering.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 38
monkeyboy
January 18, 2021, 11:24am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +4 / -8
Approval: -167
Gold Stars: 26
Update. Probably several people from football world in hospital for various reasons and illnesses.

Let’s crack on with the season and stop scaremongering and making people frightened ffs
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 38
ginnywings
January 18, 2021, 11:25am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,096
Gold Stars: 548
Season should be scrapped. It's rubbish without fans anyway.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 38
diehardmariner
January 18, 2021, 11:25am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,386
Gold Stars: 532
Incredibly worrying.

Hope Cotterill makes a full recovery.  

Trying to say this without sounding insensitive, but if he was a Premier League manager/player it would be front page news with every pundit going calling for the curtailing of the season.  I think at the lower levels is when it surely becomes even more difficult to maintain social distance just because of the size of facilities.  I mean, anyone who has been in the dressing rooms at Blundell Park will know that it's virtually impossible with only a handful of people in there.
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 38
diehardmariner
January 18, 2021, 11:26am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,386
Gold Stars: 532
Quoted from monkeyboy
Update. Probably several people from football world in hospital for various reasons and illnesses.

Let’s crack on with the season and stop scaremongering and making people frightened ffs

Let's lick the trolley handles in Asda whilst we're at it?
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 38
DB
January 18, 2021, 11:31am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.51
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +3,969
Gold Stars: 386
Quoted from ginnywings

Couldn't agree with you more. Small club (with a big heart) like Grimsby get penalised for covid yet prem stars can do what they like. Stop the season, null and void, get us all vaccinated and start afresh in August, crowds in and start a proper season.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 38
Northbank Mariner
January 18, 2021, 11:35am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.76
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,441
Gold Stars: 171
Quoted from monkeyboy

Wrong reply in my eyes...without getting political, this virus is a b@stard, I know several, youngish healthy individuals shove had it now. Not killed them but they have told me it kicks the cr@p out of you for weeks and the brain fog is horrendous.
Now, if you are prepared to expose young, healthy, fit footballer's, their families, elders to that risk then that's your opinion, mine is there comes a point when it's not practicable to carry on the season, that point has been reached, imo..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 38
LH
January 18, 2021, 11:58am

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,462
Gold Stars: 172
Mikel Arteta tested positive in March last year and football was cancelled. I assume the same thing will happen again now things have been slightly worse for one of his fellow members of the LMA.
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 38
Poojah
January 18, 2021, 11:58am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from monkeyboy

Scaremongering? I'm reporting that the manager of another club has become seriously ill thanks to a novel virus that's doing the rounds, and suggesting that similar instances might have ramifications for this season.

Where's the point in pretending that Covid isn't something to be frightened of? Whether you're old and medically vulnerable or young and economically vulnerable, it's scary stuff for all of us whether you like it or not. Sorry for not sugar coating it for you.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 38
DB
January 18, 2021, 12:27pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from DB

Couldn't agree with you more. Small club (with a big heart) like Grimsby get penalised for covid yet prem stars can do what they like. Stop the season, null and void, get us all vaccinated and start afresh in August, crowds in and start a proper season.

I don't know the coward who gave this post a red cross, but he/she couldn't be bothered to write why. A red cross means you have disagreed.

I have therefore to conclude that a forumite want Grimsby to be be fined, but not Prem stars for their actions. They want the season to carry on and more player, staff etc get covid. They don't want everybody to be vaccinated and don't want crowds to return for a normal season of football at BP.

Red cross person you are entitled to your views, as is everybody. But why be such a negative ar.. hole; a thought came to me your not a fan but a Scunny Fan.

I like the majority on this site may differ in our views but we all want the best for town And if we disagree we say why, or praise other comments which we agree with. You gutless spineless moron, you have nothing but contempt for true fans and can only hide your identity behind a red cross.

No doubt upon reading this you will add to your cowardness unless you want to come clean.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 38
WOZOFGRIMSBY
January 18, 2021, 12:43pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,798
Gold Stars: 178
Quoted from monkeyboy

Scaremongering??

My dad died because of COVID. It’s frightening because of the amount of people that have been affected both directly and indirectly by this awful virus.

Think about what your putting before pressing post!

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 38
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
January 18, 2021, 12:50pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from ginnywings

Definitely rubbish without points Ginny!

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 38
DB
January 18, 2021, 12:53pm
Barley Wine Drinker

Definitely rubbish without points Ginny!

And your alternative is?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 38
Poojah
January 18, 2021, 1:10pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY

Scaremongering??

My dad died because of COVID. It’s frightening because of the amount of people that have been affected both directly and indirectly by this awful virus.

Really sorry to hear that mate. All the best to you and your family.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 38
January 18, 2021, 1:15pm
Guest User
Scaremongering? Oh yes because the government would almost cripple the economy for the sake of it. Oh yes because the 70,000 excess deaths last year compared to the average from the previous 10 years was just a fluke. Oh yes because the nurses who are working 16 hour shifts in Scunny to cope with the demand coming in are lying and  I suppose they  just want the overtime. I’m not a Tory  but when the government talks about the dangers and severity of the virus which has claimed 3 lives to people I know then I believe them. Up the NHS and up the Vaccine.
Reply: 15 - 38
Bigdog
January 18, 2021, 1:26pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY

Scaremongering??

Deepest condolences..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 38
Withnail
January 18, 2021, 1:31pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,451
Gold Stars: 36
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY

Scaremongering??

So sorry to hear this Woz. Thoughts are with you.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 38
WOZOFGRIMSBY
January 18, 2021, 1:33pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,798
Gold Stars: 178
It was back in September but thanks for the kind messages

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 38
RichMariner
January 18, 2021, 1:39pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,138
Gold Stars: 209
1 in 50 people in the UK had covid, according to the news last week - 1 in 30 if you lived in London. That is truly staggering.

I regard myself as a relatively healthy (if not fit) 30-something, but I have no idea how my body would react if I contracted the virus. There have been plenty of people my age or younger who have struggled or, very sadly, died because of the complications the virus can trigger.

I don't understand how football is allowed to continue. The crackdown on celebrations is moot given how teams huddle together in dressing rooms and even at set pieces. There are loads of instances where the virus can be passed on in a game of football, and addressing one of them isn't going to solve all the others.

My condolences go out to anyone who has lost a loved one because of this virus. Literally millions of people have died because of covid worldwide, and the government/FA insist on it continuing for what?

I don't watch MOTD as much as I used to. I don't watch any of the live games because they're all much of a muchness. Just take it away, protect more people, and bring it back when the world is ready. I'm football mad but I could live without it until it's ready to return properly.

It seems every decision that is being made in football has an eye on the Euros. Stuff the Euros. I remember Super Saturday when Team GB won all those golds at the London Olympics, so I know how sport can rouse a nation and bring us together... but we can't be together, and sport can't bring us together, so what's the point? Rhetorical - I'm aware of the commercial implications.

I get that the government and FA think they're keeping the morale of the country up by giving us elite football, but it's really sad that we're even having to have this discussion when so many people have died.

Like DHM said, if Cotterill was a PL manager there would be a serious discussion about the future of elite football happening on every radio phone-in show and every news/sports channel. As it is, we have what we have, and it all feels a bit dangerous and unnecessary.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 19 - 38
davmariner
January 18, 2021, 1:46pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +37 / -10
Approval: +4,910
Gold Stars: 78
I had Covid last April. Floored me for about six weeks. Beggars belief that they even bothered to start the season to be honest.

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 38
ginnywings
January 18, 2021, 2:58pm

Recovering Alcoholic
I watched Manyoo v the Scousers yesterday, and that is about as elite as it gets; two of the biggest clubs in the world, and without the fans it was just cr@p. I get that they have to fulfil financial obligations and would have their TV money pulled if they didn't play, but sport at the moment without fans is just pathetic.

Clubs at our level haven't got the same commitments to the money men and I really can't see the point of plodding on with it without fans and free movement.

This has nothing to do with our position, because if we go down, then so be it, I fully agree with promotion and relegation, the game is pointless without it. I doubt the National League will finish anyway, so we would probably get a reprieve like Stevenage did last season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 38
GollyGTFC
January 18, 2021, 3:42pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,990
Gold Stars: 356
Quoted from LH
Mikel Arteta tested positive in March last year and football was cancelled. I assume the same thing will happen again now things have been slightly worse for one of his fellow members of the LMA.

No.

Because there are now protocols in place and stadia and training grounds have been adjusted so that they are safer.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 22 - 38
louth_in_the_south
January 18, 2021, 4:02pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +24 / -12
Approval: +5,643
Gold Stars: 94
Football is utterly sh.ite in its current form and is only going ahead because the PL would be crippled by foreign tv demanding repayments

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 38
FishOutOfWater
January 18, 2021, 4:34pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.15
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,564
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from DB

I don't know the coward who gave this post a red cross, but he/she couldn't be bothered to write why. A red cross means you have disagreed.

I have therefore to conclude that a forumite want Grimsby to be be fined, but not Prem stars for their actions. They want the season to carry on and more player, staff etc get covid. They don't want everybody to be vaccinated and don't want crowds to return for a normal season of football at BP.

Red cross person you are entitled to your views, as is everybody. But why be such a negative ar.. hole; a thought came to me your not a fan but a Scunny Fan.

I like the majority on this site may differ in our views but we all want the best for town And if we disagree we say why, or praise other comments which we agree with. You gutless spineless moron, you have nothing but contempt for true fans and can only hide your identity behind a red cross.

No doubt upon reading this you will add to your cowardness unless you want to come clean.

Not everyone who comes on here is a Town fan DB so you have to expect some level of disagreement and to be given an x every now and again.... the intruders are clearly not as savvy as we are!  
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 24 - 38
FishOutOfWater
January 18, 2021, 4:39pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.15
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,564
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from GollyGTFC

No.

Because there are now protocols in place and stadia and training grounds have been adjusted so that they are safer.

Socially distanced oches by any chance?
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 25 - 38
DB
January 18, 2021, 4:40pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from FishOutOfWater

Not everyone who comes on here DB is a Town fan so you have to expect some level of disagreement and to be given an x every now and again.... they're clearly not as savvy as we are!  

Thank you, I falsely assumed that all people on here were sensible.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 38
ginnywings
January 18, 2021, 4:47pm

Recovering Alcoholic
16 new covid cases in the Prem, it's just been reported.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 38
KingstonMariner
January 18, 2021, 5:36pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY

Scaremongering??

Sorry to hear that Woz. Never easy, but in these circumstances with restrictions on visiting patients and limits on funerals (could only have 10 at my mum's last April) it gives it an extra twist of the knife.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 38
LH
January 18, 2021, 7:34pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,462
Gold Stars: 172
Quoted from GollyGTFC

No.

That was a very sarcastic comment by me. Here’s another: Those protocols are clearly working.
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 38
RonMariner
January 18, 2021, 8:00pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.41
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,535
Gold Stars: 224
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Sorry to hear that Woz. Never easy, but in these circumstances with restrictions on visiting patients and limits on funerals (could only have 10 at my mum's last April) it gives it an extra twist of the knife.

I attended my first 'Zoom' funeral last week. It was very strange, like watching a TV funeral if not for the fact that I knew most of the people there.

Most funerals I have been to involve meeting and chatting with fellow bereaved about the person who has passed. Sharing memories. So it becomes more of a celebration of their life. With people not being present to share their respects and condolences it must make the whole thing more difficult for those attending.  

Strange days and difficult times we are living through.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 38
mariner83
January 18, 2021, 8:04pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +25 / -4
Approval: +2,001
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from LH

That was a very sarcastic comment by me. Here’s another: Those protocols are clearly working.

Sarcasm doesn't always work when there's no tone with it.
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 31 - 38
KingstonMariner
January 18, 2021, 11:14pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from RonMariner

I attended my first 'Zoom' funeral last week. It was very strange, like watching a TV funeral if not for the fact that I knew most of the people there.

Most funerals I have been to involve meeting and chatting with fellow bereaved about the person who has passed. Sharing memories. So it becomes more of a celebration of their life. With people not being present to share their respects and condolences it must make the whole thing more difficult for those attending.  

Strange days and difficult times we are living through.

Exactly. Also when your family is scattered far and wide, as I’m sure many Grimsby families are, it’s a way of everyone coming together again and celebrating their own shared history.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 38
smokey111
January 18, 2021, 11:39pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +3,355
Gold Stars: 46
Quoted from DB

Thank you, I falsely assumed that all people on here were sensible.

This isn't North Korea. People can disagree/red cross you. Get over it.

"The socialism I believe in is everybody working for the same goal and everybody having a share in the rewards. That’s how I see football, that’s how I see life.” Bill Shankly
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 38
Poojah
January 19, 2021, 12:00am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from smokey111

I disagree.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 38
aldi_01
January 19, 2021, 6:04am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
The funeral issue has been ignored to some extent but it’s been a massive deal. My mum works at a funeral directors, they haven’t been more or less busy than normal but if a person comes in who tested positive for Covid the protocols are strict and it effects everything else, embalming, the way the body is care for, the funeral and so on.

Funerals are more celebratory now, or so it feels and as Kingston said, they’re often a vessel to bring family from far and wide together...that has gone.

We’ve got a colleague at work who’s brother and wife are currently in a battle as her mum/dad, not entirely died of a myriad of health reasons, of which they were expecting but attended a hospital for a routine appointment, was tested, tested positive and has subsequently died so it impacts on everything. Her own consultant categorically states that Covid was not the cause. Now they have all those things to contend with.

All very complex and ultimately upsetting.

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 38
DB
January 19, 2021, 2:53pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from smokey111

Couldn't agree more this is not North Korea. That said if you have conversation with someone and you disagree you tell them why, and visa versa. If you e mail or write to someone and disagree you explain why.

So when you get a X somebody disagrees,. No problem we all have different views but like the dictatorship of North Korea, and Kim, these cowards don't give a reason.

I'm over it and don't give a dam, but from a rational point of view it is always nice to know WHY; as opposed to nothing, no opinion, just thought I'd press a key, it's a wind up, init good that's done one on im. And on and on

At the end of the day I post because I have supported the mariners, through thick and thin. These morons post a X for a laff.

Smokey thank you for your views and am very please you said them. Sometimes people agree and sometimes they don't and I wish more people would add their name to a post. That way you can respect them for their views like I do you.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 38
smokey111
January 19, 2021, 4:29pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +3,355
Gold Stars: 46
Quoted from DB

Couldn't agree more this is not North Korea. That said if you have conversation with someone and you disagree you tell them why, and visa versa. If you e mail or write to someone and disagree you explain why.

So when you get a X somebody disagrees,. No problem we all have different views but like the dictatorship of North Korea, and Kim, these cowards don't give a reason.

I'm over it and don't give a dam, but from a rational point of view it is always nice to know WHY; as opposed to nothing, no opinion, just thought I'd press a key, it's a wind up, init good that's done one on im. And on and on

At the end of the day I post because I have supported the mariners, through thick and thin. These morons post a X for a laff.

Smokey thank you for your views and am very please you said them. Sometimes people agree and sometimes they don't and I wish more people would add their name to a post. That way you can respect them for their views like I do you.

Honestly mate, let it wash over you. So much more going on in the world to expend our energy on. You are clearly a passionate person and take the time to explain your point of view and the rationale behind it. There are plenty of posters on here that I often disagree with and can't envisage having a pint with, but you shouldn't judge a book etc.

However, the Mail reading, immigrant bashing ones............nah, would rather rearrange my sock drawer.

"The socialism I believe in is everybody working for the same goal and everybody having a share in the rewards. That’s how I see football, that’s how I see life.” Bill Shankly
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 38
KingstonMariner
January 19, 2021, 7:43pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from DB

Some people cross poss simply because they don’t like you. I get that, even when I’m stating an unarguable fact. If I said 1 and 1 is 2 I’d get a Red Cross from some sad git. Maybe I’d wound them up some time in the past - I can be very argumentative and hold some unpopular views.

I think in your case people took against you because of the way you joined, making all sorts of, err hem, ‘challenging’ comments. Also the timing was against you because we’d recently had new posters who were clearly Fenty Trolls so you were tarred with the same brush.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 38
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Steve Cotterill

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.