Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Who got the best deal?
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 362 Guests

Who got the best deal?

This thread currently has 6,679 views. Print
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
MuddyWaters
January 18, 2021, 9:30pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +31,882
Gold Stars: 230
Just feel pretty blessed not to live in an area that has a plastic Premiership club. Proper football means players who earn a normal wage not those on £1million plus a year who aren’t very good.

It’s always an interesting conversation in Portugal when most Algarvians support Benfica or Sporting. Now there’s two local teams in Primeira Liga and no one knows who to support when the local teams are playing the Lisbon teams. I always want Portimonense to win yet most of the locals are supporting Benfica. They don’t like the word plastic either!
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 37
KingstonMariner
January 18, 2021, 11:19pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from MuddyWaters
Just feel pretty blessed not to live in an area that has a plastic Premiership club. Proper football means players who earn a normal wage not those on £1million plus a year who aren’t very good.

It’s always an interesting conversation in Portugal when most Algarvians support Benfica or Sporting. Now there’s two local teams in Primeira Liga and no one knows who to support when the local teams are playing the Lisbon teams. I always want Portimonense to win yet most of the locals are supporting Benfica. They don’t like the word plastic either!

Try ‘plástico’ 😆

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 37
A.l.f.
January 19, 2021, 7:15am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +687
Gold Stars: 7
I'm only 55 but been through thick and thin, home and away since i was about 8.  Before i followed Leeds as loved Eddie Gray's silky skills.  As you say its the live experience, i still am taken back to the Barrett stand when i smell tobacco and my youthful days.  This is why games behind closed doors are so sad, but understand and can't wait to be back, especially on away days.  Supporting your local club is an emotional connection that prem fans will never experience or understand.  I shed tears away at Everton when Wilkie scored, at Liverpoolwhen Jevons scored, blubbed when nathan scored to get us back in the FL but also shed a tear and laughed at our fans antics and chants on many an away day and am proud to be a Mariner.
The difference is i'm not a fan but a supporter as its about supporting our team at difficult times like now because these poor times will not last for ever and things have to look up soon.  I shudder to think how much i've spent following town, but do you know what, i wouldn't change a thing - GTFC is part of my DNA.  UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 37
Rick12
January 19, 2021, 7:40am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from MuddyWaters
Positives and downsides to play for for a local team such as Grimsby . Players are living the dream  but it comes with a lot of risk/hardship as well. Because of the money side being poor Ive spoken to players who have struggled after the game has finished/released or fall down the football pyramid whilst playing. Mortgage/children to support having to uproot family. Likewise some that are playing have to travel the breadth and width of the country for pay not much better than a normal salary. The irony of it is teachers and the like are better of as a job for life is there if they maintain the levels. Some footballers cant hack it and give it up early not wanting to travel long distances for a day or two at a time to just meet loved ones. Even those who are preparing for life after football whilst playing is tough . Studying whilst being  as a professional footballer is demanding. Tiredness/stress of playing can impact on studying .

You compare this to the likes of Real Madrid whose average basic salary last season was 11.5 million and that excludes sponsorship.  If these players dont squander that money their children will be set up for life and thats the crux of it all. Similarly its only in this country and possibly one or two more where teams third tier or below are full time. Even in Spain's 2nd tier system some clubs are part time from an article in the pro Real Madrid newspaper "Marca" a few years back.

If I had a boy who wanted to play professional football and had some ability I would advise him of the pitfalls. Many dont make it even in lower league football and the hardships are plenty. I would prefer it if he got a normal job and played football semi professional on the side if he was good enough.  But if the passion/sacrifice  is there then he should go for it.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 37
barralad
January 19, 2021, 8:30am
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.33
Rep Score: +86 / -20
Approval: +9,195
Gold Stars: 121
I've told this story before but it has relevance so here we go again.
Back in the 2000s we used to go for a meal at my sisters restaurant in Cleethorpes after home games. One night we got talking to another of the regular customers. It turned out he came up to home matches from his home on the South coast. We assumed that he was from Grimsby and had moved away. It turned out that he had no link to the town at all.
What happened was that as a schoolboy in North London just after the war his school were given a load of free tickets to the last Arsenal game of the season. All his mates supported Arsenal so trying to be a bit different he said he would support the team Arsenal were playing who just happened to be Grimsby Town. Town lost 8-0 (our last game in the top flight but he was hooked and that was how we found him sat in a Cleethorpes restaurant nearly sixty years later. He stopped coming when we went non-league but given that by time he must have been in his 70s perhaps it was the journey not the fortunes of the team.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 37
Croxton
January 19, 2021, 10:05am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.75
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +2,933
Gold Stars: 31
Quoted from barralad
I've told this story before but it has relevance so here we go again.
Back in the 2000s we used to go for a meal at my sisters restaurant in Cleethorpes after home games. One night we got talking to another of the regular customers. It turned out he came up to home matches from his home on the South coast. We assumed that he was from Grimsby and had moved away. It turned out that he had no link to the town at all.
What happened was that as a schoolboy in North London just after the war his school were given a load of free tickets to the last Arsenal game of the season. All his mates supported Arsenal so trying to be a bit different he said he would support the team Arsenal were playing who just happened to be Grimsby Town. Town lost 8-0 (our last game in the top flight but he was hooked and that was how we found him sat in a Cleethorpes restaurant nearly sixty years later. He stopped coming when we went non-league but given that by time he must have been in his 70s perhaps it was the journey not the fortunes of the team.

8-0!  Even worse than this by Barnestoneworth United. 'Eight bloody one, and four of them were from back passes!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9KXrRUZqtw
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 37
KingstonMariner
January 19, 2021, 9:49pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from A.l.f.
I'm only 55 but been through thick and thin, home and away since i was about 8.  Before i followed Leeds as loved Eddie Gray's silky skills.  As you say its the live experience, i still am taken back to the Barrett stand when i smell tobacco and my youthful days.  This is why games behind closed doors are so sad, but understand and can't wait to be back, especially on away days.  Supporting your local club is an emotional connection that prem fans will never experience or understand.  I shed tears away at Everton when Wilkie scored, at Liverpoolwhen Jevons scored, blubbed when nathan scored to get us back in the FL but also shed a tear and laughed at our fans antics and chants on many an away day and am proud to be a Mariner.
The difference is i'm not a fan but a supporter as its about supporting our team at difficult times like now because these poor times will not last for ever and things have to look up soon.  I shudder to think how much i've spent following town, but do you know what, i wouldn't change a thing - GTFC is part of my DNA.  UTM

Well said A.L.F.

Being an exile you live with missing a lot of that around home games.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 37
aldi_01
January 20, 2021, 6:08am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.04
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
I can’t fathom out how people get excited about a team that in truth they have no genuine link to other than watching on the TV.

That said, whilst there are thousands of Utd, Liverpool, Chelsea fans that could be described as ‘plastic’, those clubs do have fans that are genuine, local and it is their team. It’s not our fault or theirs that that team has been or is successful.

What is interesting is that those genuine supporters of those teams often have a very different view of their club than the plastic. Plastics often rose to the bait when you goad them, they spend hours justifying their support and then swallow all the bullshit, but all the bullshit and talk about a young lad in the u23s to present as being all knowing.

I know a long time ST at both Utd and Chelsea and they’re very much look town fans. The Utd fan especially. He wasn’t against mourinho, more the ownership. He doesn’t think the sun shines out of the clubs bottom and he’s as cynical as the next football fan. He lives for away games and naturally, he genuinely cherishes those moments of success like it’s the last.

I do know a Spurs fan though who came to our play off win and he said he’d never seen a set of fans so excited, happy and delirious when Arnold’s goal went in...he said it felt like everyone was loving it at equal levels.

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 37
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Who got the best deal?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.