Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Who got the best deal?
Users Browsing Forum
AdSense, Googlebot and 248 Guests

Who got the best deal?

This thread currently has 6,680 views. Print
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Lincoln Mariner 56
January 17, 2021, 7:40pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,512
Gold Stars: 64
I will be 65 next week. (Pm if you want to send a gift), & growing up just outside Rasen most kids of my era tended to “support” the team that won the first FA Cup Final they could remember. This was mainly due to the fact that this was more or less the only live game on tv in the early sixties, not even international matches were shown live, and hence had far more kudos than winning the league.

Anyway in 62 Spurs won and are to this day my Premiership team and I go with a couple of my kids two or three times a year. My affinity to Spurs led me to ask a mate if I could go with him and his dad to watch Town play Brighton in a night match, 1965, as I wanted to see Bobby Smith play. Anyway a night at the front of the Barrett Stand, floodlights, the smell of tobacco and a 3-0 town win meant from that night I was a town fan & have been going now for 56 years.

I could argue I still follow both teams but Kalala’s goal proved where my real loyalty lies and it’s town’s results that mean the most and me and the lad hardly miss a home match and normally have a season ticket, cried when we went out the league, cried when we came back and have a stock of new handkerchiefs ready for the end of this season but hoping they won’t be required.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 37
golfer
January 17, 2021, 7:53pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,376
Gold Stars: 112
I supported the WANDERERS for a long time  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 37
thefish
January 17, 2021, 7:58pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +14 / -1
Approval: +2,267
Gold Stars: 67
The big thing for me, whoever you support, is going to live football.

After several months of watching iFollow, I’ve realised that I wouldn’t really be a football fan if I couldn’t go to live games. It’s just dull; win, lose or draw, I find it hard to get over-emotional when watching it on the box! It’s a different story if you put me at a live game...

Simply put, I pity the arm chair supporters of this land... comfort or no comfort!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 37
KingstonMariner
January 17, 2021, 8:07pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from golfer
I supported the WANDERERS for a long time  

Royal Engineers all the way.

That is until the Casuals came along. Play up you chocolate and pinks*!

* nearly made a faux pas and said ‘blue’

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 37
KingstonMariner
January 17, 2021, 9:16pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Great question Withnail and great counter-questions Wigworld. I suppose if you choose a non-local club it comes down to authenticity of your reason. The non-Brummy who still supports Villa because they were champions 40 years ago but stuck with them through the thin years since, for example. Isn’t he just trying to lend some dignity to a childhood decision after the event?

My son has adopted Town/been adopted by Town despite being born in Kingston. I didn’t brainwash him honest. I’ve not really talked to him about why Town and not Chelsea (which 90% of local kids ‘support’), and not Wimbledon (I used to buy him his season tickets) who played in the town, and not Fulham, the next biggish club.

My daughters are ‘meh’ about the whole thing.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 37
DB
January 17, 2021, 9:42pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.54
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +3,878
Gold Stars: 383
I was born 1/2 mile and lived about 7 miles from 'The old showground', Scunny's old ground to you young ones. When I was about 4 my dad loaded me and a stool onto a bus, a bus which he went on every other Saturday. He told he was taking me to watch a good football team.

After about a hour ( longer some times due to country A roads and bad weather) we arrived in this car/bus park along with what I thought was 20+ other bus's. A kind man lifted me over a turnstile, he too young to pay and eventually I was deposited behind the Osmond stand goal on a stool.

It was a fantastic experience, 17,000+ crowd (poor gate under 17,000) and 2 coppers in opposite corners. Pushing 70 I'm still supporting them and dad's up there watching down, he never waivered.

To me a true supporter never changes his team while the prawn sandwich brigade come and go. Some may now realise why I post what I see and want. Not for a green tick or to upset for a red cross but for the best for Town.

As a type of saying goes :-

You can take a supporter away from Blundell Park
But you can't take Town away from a supporter.  

UTM

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 37
Sandford1981
January 17, 2021, 9:47pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +2,074
Gold Stars: 59
Everyone has a story of how they get into Football and why and it’s something I think is unique to each person in some way shape or form.
To me it’s like life in general and is about connection.
It’s care, passion and love. It’s anger and frustration. It’s about pride and embarrassment. Its punishment and reward, happiness and dislike, dedication and commitment. It’s entertainment, it’s remembering and forgetting and it’s the telling of stories, the humour and sadness.
It’s about values, tradition, family, community and ritual but above all else It’s in the belonging.
However you come across your own tie to a club, is less important to me, than having it.

“I know writers who use subtext and they’re all cowards.” –Garth Marenghi
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 37
Withnail
January 17, 2021, 9:59pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,425
Gold Stars: 33
Quoted from KingstonMariner
Great question Withnail and great counter-questions Wigworld. I suppose if you choose a non-local club it comes down to authenticity of your reason. The non-Brummy who still supports Villa because they were champions 40 years ago but stuck with them through the thin years since, for example. Isn’t he just trying to lend some dignity to a childhood decision after the event?

My son has adopted Town/been adopted by Town despite being born in Kingston. I didn’t brainwash him honest. I’ve not really talked to him about why Town and not Chelsea (which 90% of local kids ‘support’), and not Wimbledon (I used to buy him his season tickets) who played in the town, and not Fulham, the next biggish club.

My daughters are ‘meh’ about the whole thing.

Good points KM.

I think it's great that your lad follows Town, despite being born and brought up in Kingston.

I doff my hat, especially after you you got him season tickets for his local team and he avoided the temptation of Chelski.

I don't think I could bring myself to get my lad a season ticket for two of his local teams - Forest Green and Cheltenham. I'd consider getting him a season ticket at the other local club (Swindon) if he was desperate to go with his pals but only if I had a written guarantee that he'd always support the Mariners as his first team, regardless. 😎 Hopefully we'll be a more appealing prospect when he's old enough to take a real interest. UTM.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 37
richard95
January 17, 2021, 11:59pm

Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Approval: +1
Using the frank skinner approach I would be a Liverpool supporter as my closest league team. Lucky escape. To Grimsby in 1958 to see Grimsby town. Remember Alan Barnett in goal.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 37
gtfc_akpa_akpro
January 18, 2021, 12:01am

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +5 / -3
Approval: +104
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from Withnail
I do a regular online quiz with some lads who all like football.

They're good lads but all grew up in a town without a professional football team (where I now live) so support various Premier League teams - Liverpool, Villa and Spurs.

Anyway...whenever they bang on about "their" teams my eyes glaze over and I zone out.

While the Villa fan would get to a couple of games a season (pre Covid) and the Spurs fan has use of a corporate season ticket, I just don't see them as authentic football fans. It's not jealousy (I don't think) or inverted snobbery. I just don't see how someone living in a different part of the country can have a deep and meaningful connection to a football club if there's no family/local link. Without this surely a club can't be part of your DNA, can it?

The other major difference is that I dread to think how much I've invested in following Town over the years. If you include travel, food, tickets, beers (obviously not compulsory) overnights...etc...it dwarfs the cost of the occasional trip to Villa Park, The Tottenham Hotspur Stadium, or in the case of the Liverpool fan, annual Sky Sports subscription.

Do you agree, or am I being sanctimonious twit? I appreciate there is an element of hypocrscy as were Town ever to find themselves in the top flight (yeah right) I'm sure I'd be all over the Prem.

But in conclusion,  for me, supporting a non local Prem team who you have no local connection to is both souless and sterile.

As much as it pains me to see us second bottom in the football pyramid, I wouldn't swap it for being a plastic (insert big Prem team) fan.

I'm almost sure they pity me supporting Town but ironically I pity them more as they'll never know the euphoria of your local team giant killing a Premier League side in the cup or escaping the abyss of non league football.

It’s always a contentious debate however my feelings are, does it really matter?

I grew up 15 miles away from Grimsby, however within 15 miles of where I live now, I could support Chesterfield, Sheff Wed, Sheff Utd, Rotherham and Barnsley. When my children grow up, i would naturally want them to support Grimsby but by the cause of the debate they would have to support one of my local teams.

Ultimately, everyone has different reasons for the teams they support and whether you agree with that or not, it really shouldn’t matter. Get behind your team and stick with them through thick and thin.

i would really like to know biccys favourite biscuit.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 37
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Who got the best deal?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.