16 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 Next All Recommend Thread
grimsby pete
January 15, 2021, 8:30am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.83
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,753
Gold Stars: 221
Has to be the 5-0 defeat at Braintree forms the only time I felt embarrassed being a town fan.

Plus Fenty climbing up the floodlight pylon and NOT falling off.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 100 - 153
Gainsbro_Mariner
January 15, 2021, 8:51am

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +27 / -2
Approval: +1,450
Gold Stars: 14
In terms of away from incidents that have happened internally...

* Being relegated from the Football League

* Watching our club stand still in time where smaller and once less organised clubs have gone on to build stadiums, be progressive and are now, bigger and richer and in higher leagues.

* Watching Non-League sides with tiny fan bases such as Fleetwood, Accrington, Burton etc join the league, become solid sides, get promoted and sit in the League above whilst we struggle with a pot to urine in.

* Every time we lost a game at Non-League level.

* Watching Lincoln and previously Scunthorpe get is so right on the field whilst again we get everything consistently wrong.

* Teams like Boston United being able to plan and then build a stadium within 2 or 3 years, whilst 20 years later we are no closer.

* Year after year of uninspiring poor to average football.

Tony Gallimore nicked my Pint and my sausage roll
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 101 - 153
BlackandWhiteBarmy2
January 15, 2021, 9:22am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,022
Gold Stars: 59
Having your chairman state publicly that we would not be greatly affected by the ITV Digital fiasco because we'd made provisions, or not spent the money before we had it, only to have it wheeled out as an excuse for all our financial woes, including debts to tyrants, for the next 20 flipping years.

Ambulancegate

Newellgate

Radio Humbersidegate

Fentys fireside chats, you know, the ones were he blames the fans and ITV digital because he's embarrassed the club, again.

Burton

Tranmere

Alex May

Trust shares

Shut up

Aswad Thomas racist fan ban.

the list is almost endless

Someone needs to do a Billy Joel We didn't start the Fire GTFC edit.

And when you fall back into the mud it hurts a lot.
No! None of it was true, none of those things we thought we could see existed at all.
All that was really there was still more misery

Emile Zola
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 102 - 153
Gainsbro_Mariner
January 15, 2021, 9:51am

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +27 / -2
Approval: +1,450
Gold Stars: 14
It's fair to say as well that being an 80's kid and growing up watching Town from 92/93 ish and having been so spoilt in that era, it's embarrassing that the club went to excrement so quickly after going down in 2003.

When you think about some of the players we had, the way we held our own in the Championship and the way we operated as a club and the challenges we beat it's sad that this club has gone on to suffer from miss-management, no guidance, no ambition for so long.

Tony Gallimore nicked my Pint and my sausage roll
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 103 - 153
MuddyWaters
January 15, 2021, 9:52am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +31,882
Gold Stars: 230
Quoted from 137

I'm looking at the thread rather differently...this is good therapy for us all. We need to get over JF's regime somehow. (PTSD)

There's a book waiting to be written, perhaps entitled 'The Tinpot Tyrant's Tantrums' . Fun reading for fans of other clubs...

There’s enough on here for at least Volume 2.
Private Message
Reply: 104 - 153
NorfolkImp
January 15, 2021, 10:00am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +10 / -10
Approval: -493
Gold Stars: 11
Quoted from Bristol Mariner
I'm sure many clubs go through periods of turmoil, ups and downs etc but surely we must lead the way in embarrassing/cringeworthy moments.

Thought a list would be an idea just if anything else to think it can't get any worse - can it?

Like those awful channel 5 countdown programmes (ie top funniest football moments).

So to start the ball rolling here's a few that spring to mind, left a few out Could probably do a Fenty one all on it's own!

I'll do a poll in a week or so to find the number 1 most embarrassing GTFC moment.

1. Laws fracturing Bonetti's cheekbone with a plate of chicken
2. Fenty snapping a kids flag
3. Fenty accusing women of disguising tampons as fireworks
4. Newell's team of pissheads
5. Holloway playing darts during covid lockdown
6. Nick Dale not heeding police advise and we get £15k fine against Port Vale, far more than extra stewards would have cost
7. Board member Marley telling fans to shut up at an event designed to bring fans and club together

Slade & the players with his tactics board in the centre circle at half-time at Sinny Bank, whilst we all pi$$ed ourselves laughing, deserves a mention surely?  

Private Message
Reply: 105 - 153
Mandy Dunnit vs Hettie
January 15, 2021, 10:10am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +1,448
Gold Stars: 15
Quoted from NorfolkImp

Slade & the players with his tactics board in the centre circle at half-time at Sinny Bank, whilst we all pi$$ed ourselves laughing, deserves a mention surely?  

It has been, now does us a favour and pi$$ off back to ‘Sinny Bank’, this is our misery and we don’t need anyone else to wallow in it...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 106 - 153
lew chaterleys lover
January 15, 2021, 10:17am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,545
Gold Stars: 231
Quoted from ginnywings
The Mike Parker saga.

Jeez, we could go on all night.  

..and morning.

The thing is, these are all the ones in the public domain. The stories I used to hear when in business meetings would leave you either very angry or collapsing with laughter or both.
Private Message
Reply: 107 - 153
Dan
January 15, 2021, 10:32am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +36 / -17
Approval: +551
What about the orange.

Quoted from John Fenty, April 2013
I deconstructed the flag to the point where it was safe and couldn’t be considered a danger
Private Message
Reply: 108 - 153
RichMariner
January 15, 2021, 11:57am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,109
Gold Stars: 204
Couple of gentle ones:

Fenty calling Radio Humberside telling them to stop asking questions (and then calling our manager 'Rob Hurst').

Telling players to get a part-time job in the summer.

Official website publishing directions to Southport for a friendly at Gainsborough.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 109 - 153
16 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Most Embarrassing GTFC Moments

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.