13 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next All Recommend Thread
RichMariner
January 15, 2021, 2:41pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,131
Gold Stars: 209
I feel for Hurst in this situation - it's a worse squad than the one he and Scott inherited in 2011.

Everyone knows Grimsby need a striker this transfer window, but they're always hot property. Anyone who has scored, say 5-10 goals this season, and is fit, will automatically be on the radar of every club that's looking for a striker, and that player will more than likely choose another club over us because of where we are.

Sadly, the only type of striker we're likely to get is someone who is either unexposed to the rigours of league football, or who is relatively experienced but been frozen out somewhere, and won't have a great scoring record as a result.

We all reference Podge and Connell's scoring records before they joined us, and how (albeit a centre back) Futch was plucked from Halifax reserves.

Whoever we sign, they're not going to have a fancy YouTube showreel and their scoring record is going to be scrutinised by the fans. But one name that sticks in my mind was Lee Thorpe — we had him on loan at the end of Groves' tenure, when Rodger took caretaker charge. He didn't score for us in 5 or 6 games but was excellent at keeping the ball in the final third and linking up with players around him (especially Jevons).

In all reality, someone like him would do. Mind you, we're also missing a Jevons. A fit Hanson, Scannell and Wright would make a world of difference, but there's not a lot Hurst can do about them but keep his fingers crossed and pray they don't relapse.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 60 - 120
Gainsbro_Mariner
January 15, 2021, 2:48pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +27 / -2
Approval: +1,450
Gold Stars: 14
Quoted from RichMariner
I feel for Hurst in this situation - it's a worse squad than the one he and Scott inherited in 2011.

Everyone knows Grimsby need a striker this transfer window, but they're always hot property. Anyone who has scored, say 5-10 goals this season, and is fit, will automatically be on the radar of every club that's looking for a striker, and that player will more than likely choose another club over us because of where we are.

Sadly, the only type of striker we're likely to get is someone who is either unexposed to the rigours of league football, or who is relatively experienced but been frozen out somewhere, and won't have a great scoring record as a result.

We all reference Podge and Connell's scoring records before they joined us, and how (albeit a centre back) Futch was plucked from Halifax reserves.

Whoever we sign, they're not going to have a fancy YouTube showreel and their scoring record is going to be scrutinised by the fans. But one name that sticks in my mind was Lee Thorpe — we had him on loan at the end of Groves' tenure, when Rodger took caretaker charge. He didn't score for us in 5 or 6 games but was excellent at keeping the ball in the final third and linking up with players around him (especially Jevons).

In all reality, someone like him would do. Mind you, we're also missing a Jevons. A fit Hanson, Scannell and Wright would make a world of difference, but there's not a lot Hurst can do about them but keep his fingers crossed and pray they don't relapse.

Agree on all terms Rich, this side is a lot worse than one that was relegated last time its probably fair to say as well, Rich. That side was full of drunks as well.

Hurst has a colossal task on his hands, I admire him for not doing what a lot of managers would do and just get anyone who is available. I would rather we fight with what we have than sign 4 or 5 sub standard players to contracts that would no doubt in the most part be 1 year to 18 month deals and then be lumbered with wanting them off the wage bill next year.

It's really a catch-22, we are in need of players fast and thick, but they have to be of a certain quality or the complete process will potentially be in vein.

Tony Gallimore nicked my Pint and my sausage roll
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 120
WOZOFGRIMSBY
January 15, 2021, 2:48pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,815
Gold Stars: 178
Rich, or the likes of Nigel Jemson who formed a great partnership with mendonca when we we got him on loan from forest

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 120
Mallyner
January 15, 2021, 2:58pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +2,515
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from RichMariner

One game I will never forget was when we beat Barnsley 6-1. I don't think Lee Thorpe scored, but there was him, Isaiah Rankin and Phil Jevons running directly into the Barnsley box with sheer determination. Defenders don't like that and are of course nervous of giving a penalty away.

If we can't get the right people in, I feel if they had the ball at their feet, we have players capable of that, Scannell, Wright, Morais and others who have perhaps not had a chance yet, but have been prolific goal scorers at lower levels.

We just need to be more direct on the floor and show a more confidence and determination.  

Supporting Town for 65 years.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 120
buckstown
January 15, 2021, 3:02pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +16 / -6
Approval: +5,177
Gold Stars: 79
Fee fie foe fum
I smell Bentley
But I’m not good at poetry
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 120
Hagrid
January 15, 2021, 3:29pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,374
Gold Stars: 532
Not looking likely is it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 120
Northbank Mariner
January 15, 2021, 3:31pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,446
Gold Stars: 171
Quoted from Hagrid
Not looking likely is it.

I doubt it ever was H, think this Wembley fella was just on the wind up ...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 120
Posh Harry
January 15, 2021, 4:15pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -3
Approval: +4,351
Gold Stars: 35
Quoted from Northbank Mariner

I doubt it ever was H, think this Wembley fella was just on the wind up ...

I’m not sure a Youngster from Hull who has played a hand full of games for Halifax is a wind up.

Seeing Robbie Fowler at a local petrol station mind......
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 120
oochiad
January 15, 2021, 4:18pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.62
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +3,703
Gold Stars: 27
It would have been great to play tomorrow with somebody new leading the line hoping he can do the business! I really hope Green isn’t up top tomorrow, please Hurst give Ira a go......
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 120
grimsby pete
January 15, 2021, 4:19pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,796
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from wembley19984

I will delete my account if it doesn't happen

Any news you don't have to delete your account.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 120
13 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Billy Chadwick

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.