grimsby pete
January 13, 2021, 2:16pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,781
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from jimgtfc

Interesting you mention that, there definitely have been scouts watching Pollock, one in particular who represents a few clubs in the midlands, as for actual interest in signing him I’m not sure.

What interests me more is what you say about Holloway touting him around. I was told the same was being done with the young lad Boyd, and the only reason he played him was to increase the profile of the club and its youth academy and to drum up some interest in some of our youngsters. It just so happens he then scored a screamer. Apparently then a “source” from our club leaked to the media that the likes of Liverpool and Chelsea were interested.

yy

We have learnt not to believe anything Hollowhead said.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 73
LondonMariner43
January 13, 2021, 2:21pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +19 / -4
Approval: +3,935
Gold Stars: 64
Quoted from drew peacock
I know i don't post here often so you can choose to dismiss this post if you like, but as i keep seeing posts saying Pollock is being scouted and he's worth this, that and the other i thought i'd share a chat i had with a friend who is a scout for numerous teams at the top end of the football food chain and he absoultely assures me there has been no interest from any teams in Mattie Pollock. Holloway was apparently touting him around in the summer and he offered him to Leicester City for £250,000 but they weren't interested, saying he was too slow to make it at any level above League 1.

No idea if this is true, but wouldn't be at all surprising.  I doubt if he will ever go beyond league one.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 73
LondonMariner43
January 13, 2021, 2:24pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +19 / -4
Approval: +3,935
Gold Stars: 64
A George Santos type signing would be great.  A massive leader at the back (literally and metaphorically).  Ultimately he wasn't able to keep us up but he gave us hope.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 73
grimsby pete
January 13, 2021, 2:24pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,781
Gold Stars: 222
Bobby Moore was slow but alas Mattie is not a Bobby Moore.

Good League one player though.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 73
Stew0_0
January 13, 2021, 2:30pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +1,207
Gold Stars: 35
We need a Toto type at CB, A Disley leader in midfield, A Nolan creative sort, A bogle a quick handful unit up top and an Amond  - A clever fox in the box.

If we can get/keep Wright, Morais and Scannell fit, I think we will have the wide men to give us the service we need
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 73
arryarryarry
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from jimgtfc

Interesting you mention that, there definitely have been scouts watching Pollock, one in particular who represents a few clubs in the midlands, as for actual interest in signing him I’m not sure.

What interests me more is what you say about Holloway touting him around. I was told the same was being done with the young lad Boyd, and the only reason he played him was to increase the profile of the club and its youth academy and to drum up some interest in some of our youngsters. It just so happens he then scored a screamer. Apparently then a “source” from our club leaked to the media that the likes of Liverpool and Chelsea were interested.

Were they wearing khaki shorts, a neckerchief and going "dyb dyb dyb"?
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 73
MarshMariner
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +471
Gold Stars: 2
Quoted from LondonMariner43

No idea if this is true, but wouldn't be at all surprising.  I doubt if he will ever go beyond league one.

Not all about pace... a certain Paul Futcher had none what so ever, but kept Stan Collymore and various other strikers quite... Positional sense is key mind... He should hopefully develop that.. 8-)

Harry Maguire is hardly quick, but goes to show, pace is not the be all...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 73
barrattstandman
January 13, 2021, 3:01pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +4 / -2
Approval: +478
Gold Stars: 17
Another Danny Collins type when he first came would be ideal
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 73
Sandford1981
January 13, 2021, 3:02pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +2,085
Gold Stars: 59
Quoted from MarshMariner

Not all about pace... a certain Paul Futcher had none what so ever, but kept Stan Collymore and various other strikers quite... Positional sense is key mind... He should hopefully develop that.. 8-)

Harry Maguire is hardly quick, but goes to show, pace is not the be all...

Paul Futcher played the game with his head,  literally and metaphorically speaking, his reading of the game and anticipation was top drawer. Not to mention his composure and footballing ability.
Sorry, I find it hard to turn down waxing lyrically about futch whenever the opportunity arises. What a player. A centre back half as good would be a big improvement on what we have presently.

“I know writers who use subtext and they’re all cowards.” –Garth Marenghi
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 73
Mariner1980
January 13, 2021, 3:05pm

Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +3 / -1
Approval: +118
Quoted from LocalLadGTFC
Ben Richards Everton a possibility?

Gone to Barnet.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 73
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Defensive Signing

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.