January 12, 2021, 3:52pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.39
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,010
Gold Stars: 216
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God
Top:

Apparently, we have 183 players that played for us in the 6 years!  

Which is why it took six years to get out.

As my aunt used to say, 'buy cheap, buy twice'.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 36
LocalLadGTFC
January 12, 2021, 4:07pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +3,642
Gold Stars: 124
Quoted from fiveallive
I thought Carl Magnay was class for us able to play RB, LB, and cover CB when needed.

When we had Bradley Wood and Sam Hatton covering both sides it wasn't to Magnay joined us he was a class above that season what we had before.

1 Hearn
2 Amond
3 Bogle
4 Magnay
5 Disley

Townsend would be next on the list but him and Pond where only on loan.

Worst

1 Kempson
2 Spencer
3 Soares
4 Gobern
5 Ridley

Personally I thought Richard Tait was a level above Magnay.. unreal player.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 11 - 36
Jarmo.Is.God
January 12, 2021, 4:10pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,051
Gold Stars: 86
Quoted from LocalLadGTFC

Personally I thought Richard Tait was a level above Magnay.. unreal player.

easily!

Magnay was a workhorse, and interacted a lot with fans, so become a favourite quickly.
In terms of actual playing levels, Tait was again, a cut above non-league
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 36
LocalLadGTFC
January 12, 2021, 4:18pm
Fine Wine Drinker
As for impact they had when they joined, i'm surprised nobody has mentioned Scott Nielsen. First player that got me off my seat that played for Town for a long time and actually had me enjoying going to watch Town again. I'm going to put players that were a Grimsby player because everyone knows CT makes the list and he's proving how good he is in the Prem. Liam Hearn for me was a special player and I believe he'd of been the next Jamie Vardy, I got goosebumps on his return and was so gutted that injuries ruined his career as he was one of the nicest guys you could meet off the pitch aswell.

For me the best is  -

1 - Hearn
2 - Connell
3 - Nielsen
4 - Nolan
5 - Disley

The worst - oh god where do we begin -

1 - DAMIEN SPENCER
2 - Tyrone Thompson
3 - Lee Ridley
4 - Paddy Mclaughlin - Controversial but I had very high expectations for him as for Gateshead he was absolute class and here he was woeful most games.
5 - Christian Jolley - Same reason, tore us apart every time he played us and looked like he'd go on to better things and for us he was a bag of flipping wind.

Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 13 - 36
Mariner_09
January 12, 2021, 4:30pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.11
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,189
Gold Stars: 54
Quoted from LocalLadGTFC
As for impact they had when they joined, i'm surprised nobody has mentioned Scott Nielsen. First player that got me off my seat that played for Town for a long time and actually had me enjoying going to watch Town again. I'm going to put players that were a Grimsby player because everyone knows CT makes the list and he's proving how good he is in the Prem. Liam Hearn for me was a special player and I believe he'd of been the next Jamie Vardy, I got goosebumps on his return and was so gutted that injuries ruined his career as he was one of the nicest guys you could meet off the pitch aswell.

For me the best is  -

1 - Hearn
2 - Connell
3 - Nielsen
4 - Nolan
5 - Disley

The worst - oh god where do we begin -

1 - DAMIEN SPENCER
2 - Tyrone Thompson
3 - Lee Ridley
4 - Paddy Mclaughlin - Controversial but I had very high expectations for him as for Gateshead he was absolute class and here he was woeful most games.
5 - Christian Jolley - Same reason, tore us apart every time he played us and looked like he'd go on to better things and for us he was a bag of flipping wind.

The list of players who looked infinitely more dangerous while playing against us than when they played for us is endless.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 36
Nutsy
January 12, 2021, 4:47pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +4 / -1
Approval: +134
Gold Stars: 5
Scott Neilson, for me, was our Mahrez to Hearn's Vardy when he was a ON LOAN.

When he signed permanently he just didn't seem to perform quite so regularly.

Just my opinion though.

In the same vein as Ross Hannah etc
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 36
LocalLadGTFC
January 12, 2021, 5:00pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from Nutsy
Scott Neilson, for me, was our Mahrez to Hearn's Vardy when he was a ON LOAN.

When he signed permanently he just didn't seem to perform quite so regularly.

Just my opinion though.

In the same vein as Ross Hannah etc

Correct me if I'm wrong but did Neilson not sign after Hearn's injury? The Luton move really didn't help him and nor did his love for the off field lifestyle he lived. I've spoke to him a few times as we have mutual friends and he always said he loved his time here and wished he never went to Luton as he believed we could of gone up that year. Him and Aswad on that left hand side was one of the most frightening partnerships I think i've seen at Town, obviously before incidents occurred.  
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 16 - 36
Poojah
January 12, 2021, 5:20pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.23
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,153
Gold Stars: 1,490
Quoted from diehardmariner
Townsend is the best outfield player we've had in the last 15 years.

Amond, Bogle, Hearn, Disley, Pearson....all great players for us in the Conference.  But Townsend was absolutely streets above them and anyone else on the pitch in every game he played.  That's why he's gone onto have the career he has.

Townsend during his second spell here is pound for pound (in the context of the level we were at at the time) the best player I have seen in a Town shirt. I've laboured the point before, but we wouldn't have made the play-offs that season without Townsend - we only scraped in by two points.

You can make the same case for Amond and others of course, the primary difference being that Townsend only played nine league games, of which we won eight. That's how good he was. Let's not forget he was filling in for the more than capable Gregor Robertson as well.

There were so many key moments. That free-kick against Welling, the cross for Amond in the 1-0 against Kidderminster, the last minute penalty he won in the 1-0 against Dover. He was just absolute class, and it's no surprise he's found himself playing in the Premier League.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 36
HertsGTFC
January 12, 2021, 10:03pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.23
Rep Score: +29 / -8
Approval: +22,648
Gold Stars: 217
1. Townsend
2. Amond
3 Arnold
4  Dis
5  Nolan

Add to that Macca, Tait, Gregor, Josh, Toto, Clay’ Omar,

I think you can see what I’m getting at.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 36
KingstonMariner
January 13, 2021, 2:26am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Thank you Herts! I was wondering when Macca was going to get a look in. Definitely be in my top 5 the amount of points he saved us. I can't remember all the bad players - don't want to. Best would be something like:

(in no particular order)

Macca, Amond, Disley, Townsend, Pond

Lots of others with a shout, but the above covers all sections of the team.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 36
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Top 5 & Worst 5

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.