Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › John Fenty - The worst chairman in EFL history?
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 325 Guests

John Fenty - The worst chairman in EFL history?

This thread currently has 5,479 views. Print
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
arryarryarry
January 12, 2021, 6:59pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +9,945
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from Boris Johnson
Jesus.....here we go again.

here's a link to a rogue's gallery of others, we are not unique

https://www.theguardian.com/fo.....-clubs-leyton-orient

You could add to that list the rsole who led Macclesfield into extinction.
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 47
KingstonMariner
January 13, 2021, 2:55am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from diehardmariner

I don't think anyone has suggested you praised him.

But asking people to just let it be with Fenty is quite frankly like pissing into a gale with everything he's done.

Even this lunchtime we get the news that the club have absolutely shat on everyone once again by disregarding social distance rules and in turn have picked up a fine, even more expensive legal and investigation costs and then associated costs for the 3 clubs affected. From Matt Dean's report we're £18,000 down before we pick up the costs.    To put that into perspective, that's a big chunk of someone's salary in the GTFC office.  That's staff who were put on furlough and told they HAD to take a pay cut.

Nah, I'll moan about him as long as I want.  The guy is a flipping stain on this football club and it pisses me off that he's going to walk away smelling of roses.  The thread title was a give away as to what the content would be, just don't open it if you're bored of it surely?

Hear hear.

That's what makes my blood boil.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 47
KingstonMariner
January 13, 2021, 2:57am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
But in answer to the OP, no I don't think he's the worst ever.

Though if he didn't get caught out doing deals with May who knows where it would have ended up. Something like the Brighton scenario probably. So maybe Fenty got lucky getting found out before it was too late.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 47
aldi_01
January 13, 2021, 6:09am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.04
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
I’d be inclined to agree that whilst my hatred of Fenty runs deep, and it’s extended beyond GTFC now, I don’t believe he’s the worst owner in football league history.

That said, all those people who used ‘it could be worse, we could be bury’ defence of John and his incompetent puppets should hang their heads. In reality, had that secret deal with May, which let’s face it, would’ve been done in secret else the club would’ve been honest and open about, secrecy supporting the theory that it was always going to be a bad idea but they would’ve made some cash so who cares, would’ve been an unmitigated disaster and seen us probably go the way of Bury, Darlington etc...

Thankfully we haven’t but it proves that defence as futile. People swallowed the bullahit for years, people thought he was the saviour, some blindly still do but in truth, that minority that have wanted to see the back of him for nigh on 15 years has grown in size and the May deal did the one thing Fenty has always been scared of; brought the fans together and he didn’t have his get out of jail free card of sacking a manager. This time his manager was part of the problem on and off the field but like all good rats, he jumped ship...

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 47
diehardmariner
January 13, 2021, 9:07am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.97
Rep Score: +35 / -7
Approval: +17,064
Gold Stars: 518
The thing is, we'll probably (and thankfully) never know how bad it would have got under Fenty/May.

Fenty has been a disaster of a chairman, but as many have pointed out he quite clearly isn't as bad as the likes of Dale at Bury.  I've always, to a degree, defended Fenty on the point that he is a Town fan and wouldn't put the club in danger. Unfortunately his dealings with May in recent months/years have made me doubt that assessment.

In its most simplistic terms, I think I've gone beyond the fact that Fenty has sat on his proverbial and literal throne whilst the club has burnt below.  It's more now about his actions as a human being.  People forced to take pay cuts, people told to get second jobs, myths and lies spread about to tarnish reputations, public slanging matches of respected folk...and that's all before we get into the point of potentially getting into bed with a convicted fraudster, both from the perspective of this football club and the local authority.  

He might not be as bad as Dale, or Oyston, or any other absolute scumbag who's ruled over a football club before.  But that doesn't make his actions any less significant.  Apathy is always dangerous and I personally feel the more we use the line of 'oh, well he's not that bad', he'll always get away with it.

I'm hopeful and quietly confident that we'll usher in a new regime very shortly that will see a completely different approach to how we're run both on and off the field.  Perhaps that will help heal the pain that Fenty has endured on this club, but for now he longer he remains it's like pouring alcohol on those open wounds.
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 47
AndyDarloFC
January 13, 2021, 2:00pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +17 / 0
Approval: +1,695
Gold Stars: 33
John Fenty wasn't the best chairman for you and didn't always cover himself in glory during his tenure for Grimsby, but ultimately he still ensured bills were paid on the time alongside the players every month. He didn't throw you into administration when the going got too tough.

He is absolutely not a chance the worst chairman in EFL history.

We've been royally bent over and f*cked by 3 chairman in the last 15/20 years who absolutely destroyed us as a club, our reputation and legacy.

Then you've got to look at the others:
Bury have had the heart of their club ripped open by recent chairman and had to start again.
Blackpool had 20 odd years of absolute shoddy ownership from the Oystons.
Wimbledon were f*cked over by that twit at MK Mongs, I mean MK Dons.
What about that nutcase Charlton had in charge not so long ago and fans protested against him every week.
Hull had the Allam family who were absolutely ludicrous.
Coventry still have their issues with the SISU owners.

Hopefully with the new owners coming in for you, it'll be a brand new start for you and the only way will be upwards. Give them your support, show them you're willing to let them show you what they can do.

I'll be watching from a distance and hoping it goes well - I'll be back at Town games when I am down that way on a weekend as usual.

Keep the faith lads. #UTM

Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 35 - 47
Poojah
January 13, 2021, 2:10pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.23
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,153
Gold Stars: 1,489
Quoted from AndyDarloFC
John Fenty wasn't the best chairman for you and didn't always cover himself in glory during his tenure for Grimsby, but ultimately he still ensured bills were paid on the time alongside the players every month. He didn't throw you into administration when the going got too tough.

We've been royally bent over and f*cked by 3 chairman in the last 15/20 years who absolutely destroyed us as a club, our reputation and legacy.

Bury have had the heart of their club ripped open by recent chairman and had to start again.
What about that nutcase Charlton had in charge not so long ago and fans protested against him every week.

Hopefully with the new owners coming in for you, it'll be a brand new start for you and the only way will be upwards. Give them your support, show them you're willing to let them show you what they can do.

I'll be watching from a distance and hoping it goes well - I'll be back at Town games when I am down that way on a weekend as usual.

I’ll be honest, I’m not sure I’m fully aware of the true end-to-end narrative of Darlo’s demise. I know it began with Reynolds and the construction of the cracking (no pun intended) but totally inappropriate arena, and I understand the running costs that came with that were understandably problematic.

But then I seem to recall there were years after that when you were at the top end of league two and in the play-offs with a decent squad - David Stockdale, Pawel Abbott, Ndumbu Nsungu et al.

What was it that properly screwed you over, or was it more a case of death by a thousand cuts?

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 47
lew chaterleys lover
January 13, 2021, 3:23pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,545
Gold Stars: 231
Quoted from AndyDarloFC

That's not really true. The fans paid the clubs way with gate receipts, together with other forms of income and Fenty spent it as he saw fit, wisely he would say.

He hasn't invested money in the club for years, nor has been able to find any other investment that did not end in acrimony shortly after.

He was our insurance policy in case the fans money was not enough, which is fair enough. He might not technically be the worst owner ever, it just feels like it.
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 47
TAGG
January 13, 2021, 6:12pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -26
Approval: +2,981
Gold Stars: 121
Fenty is the footballing equivalent of Donald Trump  

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 47
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
January 13, 2021, 6:27pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.89
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,784
Gold Stars: 547
Quoted from TAGG
Fenty is the footballing equivalent of Donald Trump  

When Shutes, Stkwd and Pettit (can we call them “SSP”) get the keys post takeover, Fenty’s fanatical fans will probably storm the Pontoon
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 47
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › John Fenty - The worst chairman in EFL history?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.