Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › First signing
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 270 Guests

First signing

This thread currently has 76,624 views. Print
32 Pages Prev ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Mariner_09
January 5, 2021, 12:32pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,192
Gold Stars: 55
We know we missed out on Theo Robinson due to the Covid clause but I think we need to take a calculated risk with that now. The risk of falling out of the league massively outweighs any potential benefit to a Covid clause. Another shut down is possible but unlikely, with the current squad relegation is likely. We can't afford to haggle, just got to sign the best players possible, no holds barred.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 130 - 315
BobbyCummingsTackle
January 5, 2021, 12:40pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,194
Gold Stars: 291
Quoted from Mariner_09
We know we missed out on Theo Robinson due to the Covid clause but I think we need to take a calculated risk with that now. The risk of falling out of the league massively outweighs any potential benefit to a Covid clause. Another shut down is possible but unlikely, with the current squad relegation is likely. We can't afford to haggle, just got to sign the best players possible, no holds barred.

Just looking at your 'best XI' in your signature...

3 of those players would have maybe got a game in the best team I've seen (I saw them first in the mid 70s and was a season ticket holder during the Buckley years), the rest wouldn't have got near it and probably wouldn't have been signed by the club.

I'm not being a smartarse, it makes me sad that this is what we've become.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 131 - 315
Mikey_345
January 5, 2021, 12:46pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +11 / -1
Approval: +5,308
Gold Stars: 100
Quoted from Mighty_Mariner
Forgive me if this has been mentioned by Day or Hurst already but I don't recall seeing or reading about it... Are the club pressing on with Covid clauses in contracts still or have they realised this severly impacts on the type of players we can attract and ultimately sign?

Day has said in an interview with Radio Humberside a few weeks ago that we won’t be inserting a covid clause.

All Town aren’t we

@GTFCLondon

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 132 - 315
GtfcGarner
January 5, 2021, 1:21pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +31 / -13
Approval: +1,788
Gold Stars: 26
I'm not a fan of signing ex players as usually doesn't work out for us 2nd time round.. Jamie Devitt a example. Don't think Podge would be the answer up front for us as we need someone who will hold it up and bring others into play. I think that PH will bring in a LJL type of striker or in the mould. Think we need another LB, just for depth plus I think Preston is the worst I've seen since Lee Ridley. Another experienced CM with the legs and energywould do us the world of good in grabbing hold of games.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 133 - 315
MarshMariner
January 5, 2021, 1:48pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +471
Gold Stars: 2
Quoted from GtfcGarner
I'm not a fan of signing ex players as usually doesn't work out for us 2nd time round.. Jamie Devitt a example. Don't think Podge would be the answer up front for us as we need someone who will hold it up and bring others into play. I think that PH will bring in a LJL type of striker or in the mould. Think we need another LB, just for depth plus I think Preston is the worst I've seen since Lee Ridley. Another experienced CM with the legs and energywould do us the world of good in grabbing hold of games.

As a sole striker, Podge is not the answer, as part of a 442, I think he would be a good addition, I would go as far to say, if we signed him now, he would be top scorer at the end of season...no brainer
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 134 - 315
Bristol Mariner
January 5, 2021, 1:53pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +11 / -5
Approval: +2,877
Gold Stars: 79
Quoted from Boris Johnson
should have had players in by now, hopefully we have new players by the end of the week.

Surprised given our perilous state that he hasnt acted as yet.

you are the helmet who keeps giving..... yes he's done nothing as you say.......

GTFC Exile, Bristol Mariners
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 135 - 315
MuddyWaters
January 5, 2021, 2:03pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from dicko995
I see Newport have put a bid in for attacker Scott Twine of Swindon, that would push Paddy down the pecking list, i,d have him back in a heartbeat.

Twine has been at Newport on loan - he scored against us and has just been recalled.
Private Message
Reply: 136 - 315
Jarmo.Is.God
January 5, 2021, 2:17pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,051
Gold Stars: 86
Newport just signed Owen Windsor on loan.

Looked ok in his first couple of games then nothing, not sure how that works for Podge
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 137 - 315
IlkleyMariner
January 5, 2021, 2:32pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +2,984
Gold Stars: 69
I see Stevenage have signed three players. Looks like they paid a fee for two of them.
Worrying
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 138 - 315
Boris Johnson
January 5, 2021, 2:41pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +2 / -15
Approval: -2,797
Gold Stars: 4
Quoted from GtfcGarner

Needs 9 in my opinion. 3,3,3 in top middle and bottom...

Keep Macca, And Morais......the rest can be sacked off
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 139 - 315
32 Pages Prev ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › First signing

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.