Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Brexit deal agreed
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 20 Guests

Brexit deal agreed

This thread currently has 24,889 views. Print
55 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
lew chaterleys lover
January 15, 2021, 7:20pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,694
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from GollyGTFC

They'll be an independent nation and back in the EU within 10 years.

Latest opinion poll for this May's Scottish Parliamentary elections forecasts...

SNP 72 seats
CON 24
LAB 19
GRN 9
LDEM 5
Projected SNP majority of 15

Factor in that the Green party are pro-independence and you have a potential 81-48 split for pro-independence MSPs,

I can't wait to see Boris Johnson say there's no legitimate reason to hold another Scottish Independence Referendum if/when the SNP win a landslide.

Or indeed the Labour party whose official policy is to resist a new Independence referendum as stated by Sir Keir Starmer recently.

I don't suppose Labour party members will be too thrilled either at coming behind the Conservative party if those figures turn out to be true; its amazing how Labour have lost their Scottish heartlands.

Being a democrat myself I would certainly allow another referendum and let them become independent if the public so decide.
Private Message
Reply: 90 - 545
GollyGTFC
January 15, 2021, 8:47pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,977
Gold Stars: 356

Or indeed the Labour party whose official policy is to resist a new Independence referendum as stated by Sir Keir Starmer recently.

I don't suppose Labour party members will be too thrilled either at coming behind the Conservative party if those figures turn out to be true; its amazing how Labour have lost their Scottish heartlands.

Being a democrat myself I would certainly allow another referendum and let them become independent if the public so decide.

Yeah, I'm not fussed myself. It's a choice for the Scottish people. And even if I was inclined to try and tell them to vote "No" I don't think I could think of a decent reason for them to stay in the Union.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 91 - 545
James77
January 15, 2021, 8:56pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +2 / -1
Approval: +53
Quoted from GollyGTFC

They'll be an independent nation and back in the EU within 10 years.

I can't wait to see Boris Johnson say there's no legitimate reason to hold another Scottish Independence Referendum if/when the SNP win a landslide.

Scottish independence may happen (Johnson and co seem clueless about the union) and if it does, be prepared for fallout that surpasses Brexit

If an independent Scotland manages to reduce its deficit enough to be allowed to join the EU, wouldn't this end the UK internal market? Wouldn't it create a border between Gretna and Berwick that looks like the one that's just been created between the UK and the EU?  

Scotland's exports to the rest of the UK are worth £51bn annually. Its annual exports to the EU are worth £16bn.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 92 - 545
Maringer
January 15, 2021, 11:47pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,471
Gold Stars: 185
I'd say another Scots Indy Ref would be imminent, but the SNP leadership is about to either fall apart (after attempting to stitch up Salmond and failing miserably) or become wholly discredited by a Scottish establishment cover up. They'll still virtually sweep the board in the elections (Tories, Scottish Labour and LibDems have little to offer), but perhaps end up lacking the momentum they should have had. Can't see Sturgeon surviving what is coming up and I'd imagine most of the other senior SNPites are up to their necks in the whole thing as well.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 93 - 545
CairnsMariner
January 16, 2021, 8:10am

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +21
Genuine question: how's the fishing industry in Grimsby at the moment?

I keep reading about the problems facing the shell fish companies, the biggest sector in UK fishing, but nothing about the processors of imported fish or any news about developing the UK fleet.

My ex-fishman, pro Brexit dad tells me things are booming. But, really?

There's a crooked street in Grimsby Town
It's a well worn path I've travelled down
Now there's ruin in my name, I wish i'd never got off the train
And I wish I'd listened to the words you said....
...Don't go down to Freeman Street
Don't go down to Freeman Street
You'll be lost and never found
You can never turn around
Don't go down to Freeman Street

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 94 - 545
GollyGTFC
January 16, 2021, 9:00am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,977
Gold Stars: 356
Quoted from CairnsMariner

I keep reading about the problems facing the shell fish companies, the biggest sector in UK fishing, but nothing about the processors of imported fish or any news about developing the UK fleet.

From everything I've seen and heard it appears the industry is virtually on it's knees already. Red tape (paperwork etc.) and the cost of it mean that the small profit margins that already existed in the industry have been wiped out and some have already stopped going out to sea as they lose less money by just not bothering.

It probably hasn't helped that the Fishing Minister admitted that she didn't have the time to read the Brexit Trade Deal as she was too busy doing Nativity related activities. And then there's Rees-Mogg cracking jokes about the fish being happier because they are now British. All while the industry dies on it's bottom.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 95 - 545
codcheeky
January 16, 2021, 9:06am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +1,251
Gold Stars: 31
Quoted from CairnsMariner

“It’s a lot easier to be fooled than to admit to being fooled”
I think that’s accredited to Mark Twain but it’s certainly very true, no one likes to admit they were wrong, the deal on fishing is terrible, pretending otherwise which ever way you voted is not facing reality
Private Message
Reply: 96 - 545
Stadium
January 16, 2021, 9:11am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +1,926
Gold Stars: 19

“There's nothing wrong with the car except that it's on fire.”- Murray Walker
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 97 - 545
grimsby pete
January 17, 2021, 3:08pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,796
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from Stadium

Who told her that ?

Nearly all the fish that comes through Grimsby is in a lorry not a trawler.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 98 - 545
Stadium
January 18, 2021, 6:24pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +1,926
Gold Stars: 19
Just "teething problems" for the Scottish seafood providers:

https://www.heraldscotland.com.....it-teething-problem/

Mr Johnson suggested that companies which have lost "genuine buyers" "through no fault of their own" would be able to apply for compensation, with the UK Government setting aside a £23m fund for such claims.

He also described the issues, which have seen boats tied up and seafood go rotten before reaching its destination, as "teething problems" and suggested they were due to "people not filling in the right forms".

Mr Johnson said: "There are problems at the moment caused by teething problems, people not filling in the right forms or misunderstandings.

"When it's not people's fault, of course we're going to compensate and help out and funds have been put in place to do that."

“There's nothing wrong with the car except that it's on fire.”- Murray Walker
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 99 - 545
55 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Brexit deal agreed

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.