Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Brexit deal agreed
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 11 Guests

Brexit deal agreed

This thread currently has 24,224 views. Print
55 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
chrissy
January 7, 2021, 5:01pm

I LOVE GRIMSBY TOWN
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +563
Quoted from ska face

If that doesn’t sum up the Brexit mentality I’m not sure what does. A pensioner who’s enjoyed all the benefits of EU membership for the last 40 years telling someone they’re lucky to have a job (for how much longer is anyone’s guess) after voting to make that job less productive and the company less competitive.

We are truly blessed to have such caring generations come before us.

Tell me how caring are you to the elderly and why should Pete care so much about you. He has children and grandchildren who will benefit from being out of the EU  there will be a few other countries following what a success we made of it and will follow suit.

I LOVE GRIMSBY TOWN

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 545
Chrisblor
January 7, 2021, 7:35pm

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +51 / -20
Approval: +8,678
Gold Stars: 231
Laughable this, loads of old illegitimates telling people who are literally offering up tangible first hand evidence of the inefficiencies and costs resulting from leaving the EU (and don't get me started on all the actual benefits we've lost related to freedom of movement ffs) that they don't know what they're on about, while carping on about some nonsensical future scenario where all these issues will be magically mitigated and somehow we'll all be better off. Lads, please do explain how this great independent future is going to emerge from the current excrement show, i'm all ears for an explanation beyond you all attempting to vibe it into existence.

gary jones
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 545
Maringer
January 8, 2021, 12:02am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,140
Gold Stars: 180
Just a £3.50 "customs clearance charge" from DPD for despatches to the EU, so a bit less than DHL. It will still cost us a few grand more each year, however. And this on top of a hefty hike in Royal Mail prices on 1st January.

Pete, not sure if you noticed, but I made my post around 12.30am. Believe it or not, I wasn't in the office in the early hours of the morning, although I have been on occasion in the past. More so in the future is likely. Still, what do you care, eh? I barely look at the Fishy these days. Nothing much to say about the football at the moment and I couldn't be bothered with the whole Fenty/Consortium melodrama so there's little point.

I don't recall saying we wouldn't get a deal, just not the one promised us by the Brexiteers. It seems to have escaped your attention that the deal we did sign isn't a very good one and doesn't contain most of what was promised. The fishing industry was sold down the river as expected, of course, but the financial services sector (a much, much bigger contributor to our economy) also lost much of its access to the EU market. The companies themselves have moved a lot of their business to European countries, of course, so they'll be alright, but the tax generated from their profits won't be going to HMRC. At least the manufacturing sector (such as it is) seems to have a reasonable side of the deal. Will we invest in manufacturing because of this? History would indicate probably not. The fact that the government is pushing on to create freeports as quickly as possible indicates almost certainly not. They want us to become a tax haven for the wealthy in Europe. That's where the big bucks is for the people who funded the Leave campaigns, well, the ones who haven't buggered off to Monaco already.

Here's one of the first things which looks like it will deviate from EU regulations. Gene editing for crops and livestock (another way of saying GM):

https://www.theguardian.com/sc.....permitted-in-england

Now, I'm not against this per se if properly regulated and absolutely nailed down as far as safety and sustainability goes, but with the current bunch of jokers in charge, do you really think this will be properly regulated? Also note that our largest market, the EU, won't be taking any of these GM products as things stand so anything produced will have to be for internal consumption - again, not necessarily a bad thing, but it limits the market for the goods.

I will be interested to see if somebody rises to Chrisblor's challenge above to list all the ways in which we will now prosper now we're out of the EU, our nearest market which also happens to be the world's largest, wealthiest and most successful trading bloc?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 545
Maringer
January 8, 2021, 2:03pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,140
Gold Stars: 180
It's getting better. DPD, one of Europe's largest courier services, have 'paused' some of their services for packages going to the EU until next Wednesday at the earliest. Apparently 20% of customers are providing the incorrect or incomplete customs information and documentation so their packages are being returned and there are also large delays at the ports.

Good job it is a relatively quiet time of the year, or we'd have piles of packages waiting to be sent. More Brexit fun.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 545
DB
January 8, 2021, 4:15pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.54
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +3,879
Gold Stars: 383
4 +years since the vote and one of Europe's largest courier is not prepared for Brexit. Doesn't say much for there planning. If GPS went down would they cope? I hope someone in the HQ makes plans for eventualities that might happen.

Is there any hope for the hopeless?

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 545
chrissy
January 8, 2021, 6:52pm

I LOVE GRIMSBY TOWN
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +563
Quoted from Chrisblor
Laughable this, loads of old illegitimates telling people who are literally offering up tangible first hand evidence of the inefficiencies and costs resulting from leaving the EU (and don't get me started on all the actual benefits we've lost related to freedom of movement ffs) that they don't know what they're on about, while carping on about some nonsensical future scenario where all these issues will be magically mitigated and somehow we'll all be better off. Lads, please do explain how this great independent future is going to emerge from the current excrement show, i'm all ears for an explanation beyond you all attempting to vibe it into existence.

You really are a very unpleasant young man I bet your elderly parents are very proud of you.

Have a little respect just because other people don't agree with your view.
That's all it is your view you are not right or wrong we will not know if leaving was a good thing or not for at least 2/3 years at least.

I LOVE GRIMSBY TOWN

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 545
ska face
January 8, 2021, 9:06pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,341
Gold Stars: 824
Why should anyone respect your view? He’s just told you, as others have, why the situation is bad (and unlikely to get better) and you keep ignoring him. There isn’t an automatic right to have everyone respect you, I was always taught that respect was earned.
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 545
codcheeky
January 8, 2021, 9:38pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +1,251
Gold Stars: 31
Quoted from DB
4 +years since the vote and one of Europe's largest courier is not prepared for Brexit. Doesn't say much for there planning. If GPS went down would they cope? I hope someone in the HQ makes plans for eventualities that might happen.

Is there any hope for the hopeless?

It may have been 4 years but no one knew what the deal was until after Christmas or whether there would even be a deal, it will take time for all firms to adjust. The deal we have is rubbish, I say that as someone who voted to leave.  Would rather have not bothered than have this mess
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 545
Chrisblor
January 8, 2021, 9:48pm

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +51 / -20
Approval: +8,678
Gold Stars: 231
Quoted from chrissy

You really are a very unpleasant young man I bet your elderly parents are very proud of you.

Have a little respect just because other people don't agree with your view.
That's all it is your view you are not right or wrong we will not know if leaving was a good thing or not for at least 2/3 years at least.

Nah i'm absolutely sick to death of older, generally financially comfortable Brexit voters, who've benefitted significantly from EU membership throughout their adult lives, waving away tangible examples of why Brexit isn't good actually, and being completely unable to explain what these future benefits are supposed to be and how they'll be realised. The harsh economic reality of global free trade means the bigger side always wins in trade negotiations. We've crippled our economy, and many of our rights (i'd have been nice to have the option to move to Europe if I wanted to - you've copulated that for us now), for what? A low odds punt on things being 'better' in some unspecified way a couple of years down the line based on a load of lies spun by some rich duplicitous posh illegitimates who've shorted the excrement out of the British economy and spent the last 4 years moving all their money and business operations outside of the UK. Why should I be pleasant to people who are still trying to tell me this is a good thing?

gary jones
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 545
Stadium
January 8, 2021, 9:59pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +1,913
Gold Stars: 19
Quoted from chrissy

Tell me how caring are you to the elderly and why should Pete care so much about you. He has children and grandchildren who will benefit from being out of the EU  there will be a few other countries following what a success we made of it and will follow suit.

Haha very good,this did make me laugh.
I presume this is a wind up or are you delusional?

Even JRM estimates:

According to one of the most prominent Brexiters, Conservative MP Jacob Rees-Mogg, we should see the benefits of Brexit in about half a century. “We won’t know the full economic consequences for a very long time,” he said. “The overwhelming opportunity for Brexit is over the next 50 years.”

And an example today:

"Boris Johnson was said to have swerved the topic of Brexit impact in a call with more than 200 business leaders earlier this week.

“It was a meaningless call, it was all mottoes – we are going to build back business better, build back business greener – and a few patsy questions about how much better it would be, nothing about the realities of Brexit and Covid hitting us all hard,” said one business leader."

“There's nothing wrong with the car except that it's on fire.”- Murray Walker
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 545
55 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Brexit deal agreed

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.