Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Brexit deal agreed
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 19 Guests

Brexit deal agreed

This thread currently has 24,215 views. Print
55 Pages Prev ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Maringer
July 1, 2021, 5:09pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,140
Gold Stars: 180
Good to get some higher-tech jobs here, albeit on a relatively small scale. I only hope we haven't paid over the odds for them with the 'assistance' we are going to provide these firms.

Less good news is that it doesn't appear that there will be an agreement for passporting for the financial sector:

https://www.theguardian.com/bu.....b7be8f08a0630603fe21

Likely to cost many thousands of lucrative city jobs and business, unless some sort of agreement can be made.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 170 - 545
Yossarian
July 2, 2021, 11:07am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +1,098
Gold Stars: 18
I'm pleased that the Nissan stuff is there, but of course how much did the government have to pay for it to happen?  This is not a long term solution to keeping business inside the UK. Business have the government over a barrel.  "We'll stay but only if you suck up the costs".  

While that Nissan good news it is like putting a stickyplaster over a ruptured artery.  As Maringer says, we are haemorrhaging jobs, investment and long term future.

I work on this stuff day-after-day in  the financial services industry - I really dont think a lot of people understand the shocking long term damage  this will have on the UK.  As I've said previously, where i work we are offshoring billions in assets and those services move with them.  And of course the tax revenues.  I work with very serious people and no-one out of all our clients are talking about a future in the UK - it is a done deal and they are moving - be it to France, Germany, Ireland or elsewhere.  

Note sure what people will end up with as part of their Brexit dividend because right now I cant see anything other than a highly deregulated, low-wage economy in the future.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 171 - 545
Humbercod
July 2, 2021, 2:07pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.19
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: -3,492
Gold Stars: 82
This state aid will be a good investment in the people, The engineers will need to be up skilled for this type of new technology so will benefit the area in the long run. It’s been mentioned this aid would not of been allowed whilst under EU rules so another tick in the Brexit box if is the case.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 172 - 545
MarinerMal
July 2, 2021, 4:19pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +7 / -5
Approval: +784
Gold Stars: 17
We voted to leave the EU for the wrong reasons. Emotive, jingoistic reasons largely not based in reality.

Even now, most of the damage of Brexit is being hidden behind the pandemic.

We have made a poor decision as a nation. The older generation (who mostly voted leave) sold out the futures of the younger generation based on their understanding of the old world order and not fully understanding the new world order and how Britain's place in it is very much diminished. Although, as a leading voice in the EU we did still retain some influence. On our own, that influence will diminish further and we will become more and more irrelevant on the world stage.

People who voted to leave used to tell me the EU would break up without us in it. How ironic that it seems far more likely the UK will break up instead.

Maybe one day we will go back to the EU with 'cap in hand' and request to rejoin. Never will it be as a leading nation again though and this time we will be really be ruled from Brussels(Paris/Berlin).
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 173 - 545
DB
July 2, 2021, 5:29pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.55
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +3,880
Gold Stars: 383
Quoted from MarinerMal
We voted to leave the EU for the wrong reasons. Emotive, jingoistic reasons largely not based in reality.

Even now, most of the damage of Brexit is being hidden behind the pandemic.

We have made a poor decision as a nation. The older generation (who mostly voted leave) sold out the futures of the younger generation based on their understanding of the old world order and not fully understanding the new world order and how Britain's place in it is very much diminished. Although, as a leading voice in the EU we did still retain some influence. On our own, that influence will diminish further and we will become more and more irrelevant on the world stage.

People who voted to leave used to tell me the EU would break up without us in it. How ironic that it seems far more likely the UK will break up instead.

Maybe one day we will go back to the EU with 'cap in hand' and request to rejoin. Never will it be as a leading nation again though and this time we will be really be ruled from Brussels(Paris/Berlin).

In quoting about the older generation you seem to have missed one vital point. It was the older generation that voted for us to go into the Common Market, a trading market; FULL STOP.

What happened after that was NOT what we voted for. I was not given a vote to decide upon a European Parliament, European commissions, or anything that would change the sovereignty or rule of law in this country.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 174 - 545
Yossarian
July 2, 2021, 8:59pm
Snakebite drinker
If you look at the Brexit vote breakdown and also the new swing of certain places to the Tories (and visa versa in the so-called Blue Wall) you see a new break in society around those who are comfortable with sociial change (that has been happening since 1950) and those who are not.  People who live in Metropolitan areas  and those who do not.  ;those who have higher education and those who do not.

These are facts. Brexit and its ripple effects are not really about economics but the effect of 50, 60 70 years of socio-economic change and how different groups react to it.  Can you adjust or not?  Do you feel threatened or is it an opportunity?  Coming over here , learning our language and taking my job?  Or coming over here ,chasing opportunity and intergratig Or an opportunity to travel elsewhere, learn another language and expand your world?

Expat?  Immigrant.  What is the difference?  Oh, one is English the other is not.

Of course the right has worked out they can sip in the elixir of populism and it gives a sugar rush and a few votes but they need to keep sipping on it ... this is what we see today..   There are no solutions in that.... just more division and conflict and a few cheap votes and more grievance.  

Is there a way out of this right now?  Not with the current people in place .....  I fear we are in an era where it is easier to say "it is THEIR fault".  

THEY were the EU
Now that people cannot blame the EU  it will be someone else (woke culture, the left, metropolitan elite - whoever the hell they are?.  Isn;t Grimsby technically metropolitan?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 175 - 545
Yossarian
July 3, 2021, 12:03am
Snakebite drinker
I hate to keep coming back to this but international politics are highly complex.  Anyone who proposes simple solutions to complex problems is a conman.   We see it this week with Merkal in London.... a highly news worthy event (yes really)

BJ bullshttng his way through the session with Merkel today was shameful - a friend of mine is close to the events and was there this week through various events.....apparently it was a (to quote directly) "like adults versus babies".....    

Anyone who thinks the the UK is "winning" (whatever that means) is not living in reality.  We are taking a massive dump on our own carpet to annoy the neighnours.  

We are all being conned by people who really do not give a flying eff about Grimsby, about fish, about sovereignty (what does that mean?), about the future.  

anyone who thinks Jacob Rees Mogg has your interests at heart ...well.....  

I'm  a bit drunk so sorry - but this really is a big con  ,,,, unfortunately it will take people years to see it.  The EU isnt a panacea...  but better to try and make the neighbourhood better rather than smearing sh!t all over the front of your house and beating your kids just to make a point.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 176 - 545
DB
July 3, 2021, 5:30am
Barley Wine Drinker
Financial Times headline today:-

'London reclaims top trading status from Amsterdam'

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 177 - 545
Maringer
July 3, 2021, 11:53am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,140
Gold Stars: 180
I don't think that is as good news as you think. You need to read beyond the headlines. Here are a couple of quotes:

Quoted Text
An average €8.92 billion of shares a day were traded on various London venues in June, compared with €8.8 billion for various Dutch venues, according to data from Cboe Europe.

In December, London’s share trading volumes stood at €14.3 billion compared with €2.2 billion

So, we're back up to about two thirds of the previous level. Ain't Brexit brilliant? And this is with a passporting agreement in place which expires in a year...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 178 - 545
DB
July 3, 2021, 12:28pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Maringer
I don't think that is as good news as you think. You need to read beyond the headlines. Here are a couple of quotes:

So, we're back up to about two thirds of the previous level. Ain't Brexit brilliant? And this is with a passporting agreement in place which expires in a year...

I agree with you, the best thing that ever happened to the country.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 179 - 545
55 Pages Prev ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Brexit deal agreed

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.