Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Siriki Dembele
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 285 Guests

Siriki Dembele

This thread currently has 78,836 views. Print
32 Pages Prev ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ... Next All Recommend Thread
ginnywings
May 3, 2021, 2:15pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,101
Gold Stars: 548
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 150 - 314
mariner91
May 5, 2021, 9:11am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,606
Gold Stars: 260
A good friend of mine text me this morning saying Town get £100K from Posh for Dembele as they got promoted. Happy days.

Here is his evidence https://www.peterboroughtoday......ps12-million-3224655
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 151 - 314
SpudUDontLike
May 5, 2021, 9:34am

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +11 / -1
Approval: +309
Gold Stars: 8
Interesting that he highlighted BR's chairman as a classy guy. I wonder with whom he could have been comparing him?

We are destined to a fool's fate that deserves to be mocked.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 152 - 314
RonMariner
May 5, 2021, 9:42am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,655
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from mariner91
A good friend of mine text me this morning saying Town get £100K from Posh for Dembele as they got promoted. Happy days.

Good news, but how strange that Fillipe Knobhead neglected to reveal this to us, given how well informed her is.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 153 - 314
BobbyCummingsTackle
May 5, 2021, 9:53am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,244
Gold Stars: 295
It's a bit of an aside but I find articles like that so depressing...

The chairman of Peterborough saying he likes to share money out among the little clubs (I'm paraphrasing). There was a time, not long ago, when Peterborough were a little club and we were the ones that could talk about them in that way.

20 years of mismanagement has led to this.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 154 - 314
Poojah
May 5, 2021, 10:06am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.24
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,468
Gold Stars: 1,500
Quoted from mariner91

It will be interesting to see what happens with Dembele this summer - whether Posh's promotion means he's more likely to stay or rather it merely inflates his price tag, I don't know. Any sale could be hugely significant in our attempts to get out of non-league once more.

As it happens, Darragh MacAnthony was on Talksport the other day talking about the model they've adopted at Peterborough. You can poke fun at the likes of Barry Fry et al, but the reality is they've been consistently in the Championship or the top half of League One for the last decade and have consistently recruited, improved and moved on talented players. Last summer they sold Ivan Toney for a fee of up to £15m and replaced him with Jonson Clarke-Harris from Bristol Rovers for around a million - he's scored 33 league goals this season.

Their success in recruiting and developing players is no fluke. It was interesting hearing MacAnthony talking about the recruitment meetings they have with a team of people including the manager and various analysts, going over a variety of data to reinforce their decisions. It's hard to imagine Fenty looking at data beyond how little a player is prepared to accept in order to sign for the club.

Yes, all of these things cost money to implement, but more importantly they make money. And money + good decisions = success. We all know what tightfistedness + bad decisions gets you.

Edit: interview with MacAnthony is here (18 minutes and 45 seconds in): https://talksport.com/radio/listen-again/1620054000/1620055800/

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 155 - 314
RonMariner
May 5, 2021, 10:13am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,655
Gold Stars: 226
Yes, I was impressed by that interview. What a contrast with Fenty.

Perhaps we are about to get owners with such progressive attitudes at long last.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 156 - 314
jamesgtfc
May 5, 2021, 10:14am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,947
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from Poojah

It will be interesting to see what happens with Dembele this summer - whether Posh's promotion means he's more likely to stay or rather it merely inflates his price tag, I don't know. Any sale could be hugely significant in our attempts to get out of non-league once more.

As it happens, Darragh MacAnthony was on Talksport the other day talking about the model they've adopted at Peterborough. You can poke fun at the likes of Barry Fry et al, but the reality is they've been consistently in the Championship or the top half of League One for the last decade and have consistently recruited, improved and moved on talented players. Last summer they sold Ivan Toney for a fee of up to £15m and replaced him with Jonson Clarke-Harris from Bristol Rovers for around a million - he's scored 33 league goals this season.

Their success in recruiting and developing players is no fluke. It was interesting hearing MacAnthony talking about the recruitment meetings they have with a team of people including the manager and various analysts, going over a variety of data to reinforce their decisions. It's hard to imagine Fenty looking at data beyond how little a player is prepared to accept in order to sign for the club.

Yes, all of these things cost money to implement, but more importantly they make money. And money + good decisions = success. We all know what tightfistedness + bad decisions gets you.

Look how Scunthorpe managed to cement themselves as a Championship/League 1 club. Billy Sharp, a player they bought for £100k and sold for £2m. They did this repeatedly for years.

A similar policy ensured we swiftly returned to Division 1 in 1998 but we then resorted to journeymen again.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 157 - 314
pontoonlew
May 5, 2021, 10:19am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +8,987
Gold Stars: 171
Quoted from Poojah

Something we’ve failed to realise over the past 20 years is spending money on players can be an investment and with the right research, often is.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 158 - 314
Poojah
May 5, 2021, 10:23am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.24
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,468
Gold Stars: 1,500
Quoted from pontoonlew

Something we’ve failed to realise over the past 20 years is spending money on players can be an investment and with the right research, often is.

Realistically, we've done it successfully once in those 20 years - the case being Omar Bogle. Would that even have happened without the intervention of the fans, who knows?

Sadly we spunked our winnings on the likes of Adi Yussuf, Akwasi Asante and Mad Gav Gunning. It's a travesty really, and something that has to be addressed as part of our fresh start.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 159 - 314
32 Pages Prev ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Siriki Dembele

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.