13 Pages Prev ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next All Recommend Thread
MuddyWaters
December 6, 2020, 9:31pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235

As a plc they usually have to file within 6 months of year end (so 30 Nov). Due to the effects of Covid, the filing deadline has been extended automatically by 3 months.

Weaver Wroot are probably still trying to work out how many turtle necks and flat caps they can capitalise this year

Think the flat caps were furloughed 🤪
Private Message
Reply: 110 - 129
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
December 6, 2020, 10:10pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,805
Gold Stars: 552

As a plc they usually have to file within 6 months of year end (so 30 Nov). Due to the effects of Covid, the filing deadline has been extended automatically by 3 months.

Weaver Wroot are probably still trying to work out how many turtle necks and flat caps they can capitalise this year

With the filing extension it’ll benign months after the year end until the accounts are filed
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 111 - 129
December 7, 2020, 12:25am
Guest User
Quoted from Bigdog

The answer and responsibility lies within the club. Unfortunately getting him to accept that the past twenty years have been disastrous for GTFC, a good chunk of his personal fortune has morally become worthless and of his own making is a huge ask of someone's pride who has had inconsiderable success in a previous venture. The fans have loyally supported utter dross for two decades and put their hands in their pockets so many times. The onus doesn't lie with them to sort this mess out, the full responsibility lies elsewhere to make GTFC a more attractive proposition and progress more attainable..

Anyone that repeatable wears turtle necks in public, probably hasn’t the best ability to accept past mistakes
Reply: 112 - 129
diehardmariner
December 7, 2020, 10:21am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,412
Gold Stars: 532
Quoted from marinerjase
Things will never change whilst people actively support.  Every time the club need something the fans jump in raising money, even when it’s not necessarily needed. They know that.

Damned if you do - damned if you don’t.

But until people who are fed up with the board - not just JF - and act on it, instead of just hashtags and posts - and ‘protests’ of 100 people in a car park for half hour.

IF you/they want change - you have to force it. Peacefully. The only way of doing it is either not go, not subscribe to IFollow, not purchasing anything from club shop - give them nothing. There’ll inevitably be threats made by powers that be re future of club etc etc - but that’s the only way. UNTIL a common ground can be found with the investors who WANT to come in, without being held to stipulations that don’t apply to the current set up.

Whether the fans, and trust - need to step up together and work in unison in forcing a vote of no confidence on board is another matter/way - but that’ll never happen as they’ve a place on the board.

So, maybe up to the fans to work with the potential investors?  Let it be known they’ll be backed, that things can’t carry on - show support both public and private, raise funds if need be WITH them.

As things stand nothing will change anytime soon. The club will be run with the intent on just paying back loans, whilst dying a slow undignified death. Like it has been for years.

Awful facilities allowed to get run down, horrible training ground and facilities, players in on the cheap, no ambition. It’s not just us who know it/can see.

Need to stop the slide. Before it’s too late.

This.

It pains me to say this but as fans we have to accept that Fenty either selling the club or engaging with the fans is a pipe dream.  Like it or not, whilst we're in this situation he holds all the cards.  He controls the club.

The only way to have an impact on this is to remove his power, that's done by removing the funding stream for the club, i.e income through fans.

If people stop going, stop buying tickets, shirts, shares, iFollow feeds then the clubs income is absolutely sod all.  At the minute, Fenty is putting nothing into the club to running the club, yet manages to take money out as repayment for his loans.  The reason for this is because we're handing the money over for that.

Without the money going into the club, Fenty is left with a dilemma.  He has a club that is bringing in absolutely no money at all, therefore he can't take any money back to repay himself.  Equally so this magic 'devaluation of the product' is actually happening.  He may value the club at £X now, but without the fan income it's worth sod all.  No fans, no income, prospect of debt to cover costs....who the hell is going to hand over money for that?  That's the sort of scenario where someone pays £1 for a football club.

At this point Fenty would be left with four choices: 1) Engage with the fans in an attempt to bring them back.  Fans hold the cards here.  We don't come back unless you write off your debts/hand over shares.  I think a more likely scenario is he hands over shares and agrees a repayment model for his loans.  2) Sell the club for absolutely sod all to whoever would take it, probably loses his loans.  3) Wind the club up - no chance of getting his loans back.  Loses face and probably any prospect of developing his political career. 4) Carries on running the club with no income but having to fund it himself.

It'll be bloody hard.  This wouldn't be a case of walking out of a game with 10 minutes to go so you can stand in the car park shouting Fenty Out.   It won't be for one or two games.  For this to have an impact it would take time and patience.  Question is, who's drunk off enough to do it?  Who's really had enough?
Private Message
Reply: 113 - 129
ginnywings
December 7, 2020, 11:52am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from diehardmariner

This.

It pains me to say this but as fans we have to accept that Fenty either selling the club or engaging with the fans is a pipe dream.  Like it or not, whilst we're in this situation he holds all the cards.  He controls the club.

The only way to have an impact on this is to remove his power, that's done by removing the funding stream for the club, i.e income through fans.

If people stop going, stop buying tickets, shirts, shares, iFollow feeds then the clubs income is absolutely sod all.  At the minute, Fenty is putting nothing into the club to running the club, yet manages to take money out as repayment for his loans.  The reason for this is because we're handing the money over for that.

Without the money going into the club, Fenty is left with a dilemma.  He has a club that is bringing in absolutely no money at all, therefore he can't take any money back to repay himself.  Equally so this magic 'devaluation of the product' is actually happening.  He may value the club at £X now, but without the fan income it's worth sod all.  No fans, no income, prospect of debt to cover costs....who the hell is going to hand over money for that?  That's the sort of scenario where someone pays £1 for a football club.

At this point Fenty would be left with four choices: 1) Engage with the fans in an attempt to bring them back.  Fans hold the cards here.  We don't come back unless you write off your debts/hand over shares.  I think a more likely scenario is he hands over shares and agrees a repayment model for his loans.  2) Sell the club for absolutely sod all to whoever would take it, probably loses his loans.  3) Wind the club up - no chance of getting his loans back.  Loses face and probably any prospect of developing his political career. 4) Carries on running the club with no income but having to fund it himself.

It'll be bloody hard.  This wouldn't be a case of walking out of a game with 10 minutes to go so you can stand in the car park shouting Fenty Out.   It won't be for one or two games.  For this to have an impact it would take time and patience.  Question is, who's drunk off enough to do it?  Who's really had enough?

A few thousand over the course of several poor seasons. I know quite a few who used to be regulars and no longer attend. It's a dilemma because I think with more support and income, Olly could take us places.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 114 - 129
diehardmariner
December 7, 2020, 12:09pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,412
Gold Stars: 532
But even with those who aren't going now, we're still able to operate at (pre-Covid) a level of profit good enough to repay a chunk of Fenty's loans.

It really would have to go down to the bare bones to have an impact.

I completely agree.  It's a huge ask and I would honestly be torn.  Holloway really gave me encouragement for what he could do up until March.  I don't think he needs major investment either.  
Private Message
Reply: 115 - 129
ginnywings
December 7, 2020, 12:49pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from diehardmariner
But even with those who aren't going now, we're still able to operate at (pre-Covid) a level of profit good enough to repay a chunk of Fenty's loans.

It really would have to go down to the bare bones to have an impact.

I completely agree.  It's a huge ask and I would honestly be torn.  Holloway really gave me encouragement for what he could do up until March.  I don't think he needs major investment either.  

We now have a salary cap, so any major investment can't be spent on the squad of players anyway. That still didn't stop the short sighted Politburo failing to retain the best of last years players and also putting a barrier to decent new signings in the form of a covid clause.

Where we could improve is in our off field activities- coaching, scouting, youth development and facilities.

I feel that the salary cap and the covid situation just gave carte blanche for our board to follow their natural inclination to cut everything to the bone, with what they felt was justification. The results of that are now evident on the pitch and the fans are not happy. But most haven't been happy for a long time.

However, we still have the core of fans left that have seen and felt the demise of the club over many years and are still hanging in there. I don't think there are many fans left that are on the verge of pulling their support, as I think they would already have done so. There are plenty of waiverers who could be won back with a bit of action on the pitch, even though that golden era never seems to get any closer.

Even in the darkest of seasons, we still managed to attract about 3500 fans- a number a lot of clubs would be happy with in this league. I don't think the remaining fans will start to drift away in numbers sufficient to topple the house of cards. The ball is, and remains firmly in the court of the current incumbents.

If there was a coup of some sort, I would gladly chuck in a few hundred quid, but I can't see it. I think our hope lies with IH and developing a squad over time that can compete on the pitch and hopefully some of those are good enough to be sold on and bring in some big paydays. This is the route we should have gone down years ago but I don't think JF believes in long term projects; that takes short term investment for long term gains. He hangs his hat on "football fortune", and we aint seen a lot of that, which brings us back to square one. Rinse and repeat.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 116 - 129
FishOutOfWater
December 7, 2020, 6:56pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.15
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,564
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from friskneymariner

Don't think his ego would allow him,in my experience Conservative are incapable of reflective insight,they are so focused on their beliefs are right,The demise of G.T.F.C. reminds me of a Shakespearean Tragedy can't decided which one  King Lear?

I would define a tory more as a 'king liar to be honest  
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 117 - 129
FishOutOfWater
December 7, 2020, 7:10pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.15
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,564
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from ginnywings

We now have a salary cap, so any major investment can't be spent on the squad of players anyway. That still didn't stop the short sighted Politburo failing to retain the best of last years players and also putting a barrier to decent new signings in the form of a covid clause.

Where we could improve is in our off field activities- coaching, scouting, youth development and facilities.

I feel that the salary cap and the covid situation just gave carte blanche for our board to follow their natural inclination to cut everything to the bone, with what they felt was justification. The results of that are now evident on the pitch and the fans are not happy. But most haven't been happy for a long time.

However, we still have the core of fans left that have seen and felt the demise of the club over many years and are still hanging in there. I don't think there are many fans left that are on the verge of pulling their support, as I think they would already have done so. There are plenty of waiverers who could be won back with a bit of action on the pitch, even though that golden era never seems to get any closer.

Even in the darkest of seasons, we still managed to attract about 3500 fans- a number a lot of clubs would be happy with in this league. I don't think the remaining fans will start to drift away in numbers sufficient to topple the house of cards. The ball is, and remains firmly in the court of the current incumbents.

If there was a coup of some sort, I would gladly chuck in a few hundred quid, but I can't see it. I think our hope lies with IH and developing a squad over time that can compete on the pitch and hopefully some of those are good enough to be sold on and bring in some big paydays. This is the route we should have gone down years ago but I don't think JF believes in long term projects; that takes short term investment for long term gains. He hangs his hat on "football fortune", and we aint seen a lot of that, which brings us back to square one. Rinse and repeat.

Good post Ginny

And that salary cap you mention.... from the "Chairman's statement" tonight, we are "not far short of the maximum we can spend" - how can that be, seeing as though we've pared everything to the bone?  

Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 118 - 129
arryarryarry
December 7, 2020, 8:54pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from FishOutOfWater

I would define a tory more as a 'king liar to be honest  

I don't want to turn this into a political thread but that could assigned to :-

John Major, Tony Bliar, Gordon Brown, David Camoron, Nick Clegg, Theresa May and Boris Johnson.

It doesn't matter what political party they represent they are all proven liars.
Private Message
Reply: 119 - 129
13 Pages Prev ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Lloyd Griffiths

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.