2 Pages Prev 1 2 All Recommend Thread
jimgtfc
December 5, 2020, 12:19pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,009
Gold Stars: 40
I think Harry has come on loads under Ollie. Against Exeter he was the only one of our players to have a pass completion percentage of over 80%, and given that he has been accused of being poor on the ball then that’s a huge improvement, even if the most of those passes were 10/15 yarders.

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 18
sam gy
December 5, 2020, 12:29pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +18 / -3
Approval: +5,387
Gold Stars: 53
Solid player for us and at 22 still lots of time for improvement.

Because of his position, he’s one of those players that seems to come under scrutiny more than most when the team has played badly, compared to say Max Wright, who will naturally be more of a fans favourite as a winger. But he’s put in some great performances since Ollie has been here and 100 games is a great achievement.

[img]https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xla1/v/t1.0-9/12039761_10156639571185103_2884197968019429473_n.jpg?oh=184cac2706832a1b1dd4d6a0420a6f87&oe=574C5F4F[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 18
Boris Johnson
December 5, 2020, 2:33pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.58
Rep Score: +2 / -15
Approval: -2,797
Gold Stars: 4
No real improvement under anyone.....this level at best, Id be interested in what he actually does, not what people think he is capable of.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 18
MuddyWaters
December 5, 2020, 4:53pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +31,883
Gold Stars: 230
Quoted from Boris Johnson
No real improvement under anyone.....this level at best, Id be interested in what he actually does, not what people think he is capable of.

A bit harsh but he’s only League 2 at best and we need better if we’re ever going to get promoted.
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 18
Grantham_Mariner
December 5, 2020, 8:13pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +23 / -1
Approval: +3,152
Gold Stars: 49
Will have to wait until Tuesday at least !?!?

If the football is bad you can always watch the gulls.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 18
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
December 5, 2020, 8:40pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
His attitude is his great strength. Always gives his all in whatever position he’s selected.

Ability wise I do have doubts about him progressing to a higher level. After 100 games if he was going to be picked up by a higher placed outfit, it would have happened by now.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 18
KingstonMariner
December 5, 2020, 11:13pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
I’ve seen worse players than Clifton pass through this club and ended up in a higher division.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 18
diehardmariner
December 7, 2020, 9:40am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.97
Rep Score: +35 / -7
Approval: +17,086
Gold Stars: 518
I like Clifton, if for nothing else his attitude and work rate.

I can understand those who don't think he's really kicked on but in his defence, I don't think he's ever really had chance to do so.

His first run in the team came on the right hand side of a three-man attack/five-man midfield under Jolley.  The only real attribute he could bring to that role was a lot of running and in fairness, along with Cardwell and JJ Hooper it gave us what we needed at that time.  

Since then he's featured at right back, left back, left wing back, right wing back, right wing, left wing, defensive midfielder, attacking midfielder....  His most sustained run in the team came when he was in midfield with Hessenthaler in Jolley's first season.  I always thought Hessenthaler was a great player but the role he played for Town was very much of sitting in front of the back four and mopping up.  But that puts a lot of pressure on the other midfielder to cover a lot of ground on their own.  I think on occasions Clifton and Hessenthaler were joined by someone else in a 3 man midfield. The fact I don't recall it probably tells you how much of an impact they had....but I've never once had the sense that Clifton has been told his role is X or Y.  It's just play in midfield.  His best attribute is his engine in my eyes, we should utilise that and have him as the one who's doing the lung bursting runs beyond the strikers.  

It's a great achievement for the lad.  Racking my brains as to the last proper youth graduate (as in not someone like Bennett or Wood who joined us at 16) who got 100 games for us.  Danny Butterfield?
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 18
Abdul19
December 7, 2020, 2:38pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.42
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,449
Gold Stars: 213
PC Bore I think

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 18
2 Pages Prev 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Harry’s Hundred

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.