Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Grismby Town Forum - The Fishy GTFC Fishy Boards Archive › January Transfer Window?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 223 Guests

January Transfer Window?

This thread currently has 7,611 views. Print
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
lee65
December 2, 2020, 11:01pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +2,450
Gold Stars: 9
Posted the other week after a Philip Day interview, when asked about January the first point he made was that any business would need to be “one in, one out” so I guess that’s 2 spaces freed up if Moshni and Ludwig have gone by then?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 52
forza ivano
December 3, 2020, 6:53am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.47
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,140
Gold Stars: 265
Quoted from GY1
It seems to me that Ollie took a gamble that didn't pay off. He thought the season would be cut short/cancelled because of Covid. Spent "no" money. Tried to pick up a couple of nuggets from non-league. Blood a few youngsters and hope to sell one, and be in good shape financially for next season. If it had worked he'd have been a hero, but it didn't! He now has to regroup in January and try to get some experience/quality in, but if they still want a Covid clause I doubt he'll do much good, and if not the other players with that clause wont be happy? I'm sure he'll figure it out. Stay tuned!

With the vaccine being rolled out and with the benefit of hindsight my guess is that the covid clause is mo longer necessary and we will be back to competing on level terms
On Lee65s point, the good thing about those 2 going is that they were amongst the higher earners so my guess was that it saves c £4000 per week
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 52
Mendonca1995
December 3, 2020, 7:19am
Super Clive mendonca how much would he cost now
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.21
Rep Score: +6 / -1
Approval: +903
Gold Stars: 15
Let’s (hope) that the quality players that were ringing him everyday will come now the vaccine is soon to arrive, no clauses no excuses now we want to see some quality players brought in and the ones deemed not good enough out, fans have dug deep YET AGAIN to help the club it’s now about time to see something given back to us by the powers above for once, we’ve had to put up with so much dross since hurst left we just haven’t progressed one bit since being back in the league, it’s pretty much same every season new manager new team/squad over and over again, so BACK Ollie and give us something to get excited about !!! UTMM

ALL TOWN AREN'T WE ⚫️⚪️
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 52
Jarmo.Is.God
December 3, 2020, 8:35am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,051
Gold Stars: 86
i'm confused at the left back comments? have we fallen out with Preston and I've missed it?

Hanson might not score tons, but he helps others with his presence, and pulls defences everywhere, he is a good player at this level for sure.

Ideally for me

Hanson
     ^            Scannell   Edwards           ^
     |        Williams    Rose      Hewitt    |
Preston      Pollock    Waterfall      Hendrie
                     Mckeown

You then have some good subs when players are fit
Wright
Tilley
Clifton
Windsor
Gibson

The loans, barring Preston, Windsor & Edwards IMO can go back
Taylor, Bennett, Morton, Gomis all offer nothing
Try loan of a few players for the rest of season to play - Jackson Jnr, Sisay, Spokes

The team isn't sh!t, it's just too big, and not good enough to be a top half table, and is probably 2-3 starting players short
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 52
diehardmariner
December 3, 2020, 9:47am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.97
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,091
Gold Stars: 520
I don't think anyone has fallen out with Preston.  He just looks shot to pieces.  He's a young lad with his first run at the professional standard and he's playing every game, often in a wingback role which has taken its toll on him.   Even with the best left-back in the world, you're going to need some cover for that frequency of games.

Sadly it doesn't matter what Hanson contributes when on the field,  the problem is that he's not on the field at all.  We can't rely on him at all.  
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 52
diehardmariner
December 3, 2020, 9:51am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.97
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,091
Gold Stars: 520
Quoted from GY1
It seems to me that Ollie took a gamble that didn't pay off. He thought the season would be cut short/cancelled because of Covid. Spent "no" money. Tried to pick up a couple of nuggets from non-league. Blood a few youngsters and hope to sell one, and be in good shape financially for next season. If it had worked he'd have been a hero, but it didn't! He now has to regroup in January and try to get some experience/quality in, but if they still want a Covid clause I doubt he'll do much good, and if not the other players with that clause wont be happy? I'm sure he'll figure it out. Stay tuned!

I think this sums it up perfectly.  

With every passing game it's becoming more and more apparent that the club was expecting a curtailed season so didn't want to invest.  You don't put clauses like the Covid ones in unless you think there's a good chance they'll be needed.  Holloway ranting about Port Vale and other clubs should have served as a warning of what he/the club thought would happen.

We went super cheap, signing a handful of players from well down the ladder with a view to developing them and maybe a couple emerging as good enough to hack it at this level but next year.  The bizarre situation with Ira Jackson Jnr. probably is a good example of this.  Lad hasn't featured for more than a few minutes but we're investing a lot of time and effort in his development.  It's with a view for next season.  

Problem is this season isn't going to be curtailed now.  I don't think we'll see anything close to normal for the rest of the season but we need to make sure we're not dragged into a relegation scrap.
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 52
lew chaterleys lover
December 3, 2020, 10:31am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,547
Gold Stars: 231
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Being entirely honest, you, I and several others have been extremely sceptical about our future for a long time so I’m a bit surprised that you haven’t noticed the lowering of the bar in terms of both expectations and the ‘well run’ mantra.

There’s no expectation from me. When the chairman is a puppet of the majority shareholder, as was the late Pete Furneaux, there’s no accountability. The manager was buying shares, but hasn’t. As usual with GTFC, it’s all a bit smoke and mirrors.

I had noticed a lowering of expectations, but I thought that was all about this one-off, bizarre season which they thought would either be stop-start or not finish at all. In hindsight the covid clause was a mistake, as any player remotely in demand would not have touched it with a barge pole. The decision to go with numerous cheap loan players might not pay off either as it turns out, but all is not lost!

We should be back at BP by what, Easter? Normal season tickets sales in the summer. Therefore Fenty must give Ollie part of that income for the calibre of player in January that we should have got in the summer.

Our gamble has failed, and I hope Ollie is as keen as ever once things return to normal. It may be that I am desperate for him to succeed, because if Fenty manages to let this crumble to dust as he has everything else God knows what will happen.
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 52
MuddyWaters
December 3, 2020, 11:55am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +31,883
Gold Stars: 230
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God
i'm confused at the left back comments? have we fallen out with Preston and I've missed it?

Hanson might not score tons, but he helps others with his presence, and pulls defences everywhere, he is a good player at this level for sure.

Ideally for me

Hanson
     ^            Scannell   Edwards           ^
     |        Williams    Rose      Hewitt    |
                     Mckeown

You then have some good subs when players are fit
Wright
Tilley
Clifton
Windsor
Gibson

The loans, barring Preston, Windsor & Edwards IMO can go back
Taylor, Bennett, Morton, Gomis all offer nothing
Try loan of a few players for the rest of season to play - Jackson Jnr, Sisay, Spokes

The team isn't sh!t, it's just too big, and not good enough to be a top half table, and is probably 2-3 starting players short

Interesting team when you consider George Williams was hooked off at half time at Tranmere and hasn't been seen since.
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 52
grimsby pete
December 3, 2020, 12:39pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.83
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,753
Gold Stars: 221
I am wondering where are the strikers we need that nobody else wants ?

Proven goal scores cost money unless a club is daft enough to let them walk for free.

Now who would do that.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 52
Jarmo.Is.God
December 3, 2020, 2:38pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,051
Gold Stars: 86
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Interesting team when you consider George Williams was hooked off at half time at Tranmere and hasn't been seen since.

Yeah, not sure why, as he is more than good enough, and better than a lot of others we have..

Other option for me would be:

Hanson
     ^      Wright  Edwards           ^
     |     Rose  Scannell     Hewitt    |
                     Mckeown

Rose and Hewitt drop when Preston and Hendrie push on, keeping us more solid at the back for any counter

Scannell staying central, and controlling the play when in possession,which we have seen recently, he is good at doing
Then have Wright & Edwards running beyond Hanson.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 52
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Grismby Town Forum - The Fishy GTFC Fishy Boards Archive › January Transfer Window?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.