Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › January Transfer Window?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 427 Guests

January Transfer Window?

This thread currently has 7,675 views. Print
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
cannylad68
December 2, 2020, 2:14pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +33
Gold Stars: 8
Get real.

It's the same every transfer window, the fans expect a big clear out and better players coming in.
It never happens.

Who is out there halfway through the season better than what we already have?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 52
Mayaman
December 2, 2020, 3:06pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +3,400
Gold Stars: 74
If we want to play it out from the back, we need a midfield.  Players that can defend as well as thread balls through or whip balls in and then pop up to get an important goal.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 52
KingstonMariner
December 2, 2020, 4:12pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Mayaman
If we want to play it out from the back, we need a midfield.  Players that can defend as well as thread balls through or whip balls in and then pop up to get an important goal.

Exactly. Need to pass and move as a unit. Not just players with the technical skill but with the spatial and tactical awareness to make it work.

That’ll help cut out some of the stupid situations we’ve put the back 4/5 into, and give us a chance to get decent balls forward.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 52
chipsandgravy
December 2, 2020, 4:13pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +3,597
Gold Stars: 37
Unfortunately I am expecting this transfer window to be as disappointing as all the others recently - and I am an optimist.

We have people at the club who have been here years doing the same thing day in day out. There is no new blood to inject a different and modern approach. We get rammed down our throat that "we are a well run club" living within our means!

Well "our means" have got as sodomist all and will again I expect until something changes at the very top and I dont expect that either.

Ambition here is something that departed years ago.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 52
ska face
December 2, 2020, 4:35pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,640
Gold Stars: 840
The absolute best we can hope for in January is Dembele gets sold for a decent wedge and maybe someone comes in for Pollock/Adlard/Grist. Get 6 months planning in ahead of the summer.
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 52
mariner91
December 2, 2020, 4:53pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,625
Gold Stars: 260
Quoted from diehardmariner
I don't imagine we're paying much for the majority of the loan players, I think that's one of the main reasons they were brought in - cheap.  If not, begs the question what level of scouting was done on them as with the exception of Edwards and maybe Preston (Windsor at a push if he's still even here!) look to be anything better than what we've already got in house.  

Experienced players we had coming in over the summer on permanent deals were:

Scannell
Rose
Williams
Mohsni

Fringe players/rough diamonds or whatever you want to call them:

Spokes
Gibson
Sisay
Jackson

Then a handful of young lads making the step up from the youth team.

Going out

Jordan Cook
Elliot Grandin
Billy Clarke
Elliott Whitehouse
Harry Davis
Jake Hessenthaler
Bradley Garmston

Harry Cardwell
Akheem Rose

Holloway has stated that Gibson, Sisay and Jackson have come in for the same combined wages we were paying for Rose and Cardwell.  Even bundling Spokes in with the other 4 (I'd be amazed if he's on the same wages as them), it's still a massive difference in those who went out.  

All four of the lads we signed have come with a lack of game time over the last few years, that will have impacted on their suitability to a lot of clubs and driven down their prices.

Wouldn't at all surprise me if Taylor, Morton, Bennett, Windsor and Gomis go back to their clubs in January.  Ohman and Moshni find new clubs plus maybe someone like Curran leaving too.  4 or 5 new signings coming in at the same time.  Goes against everything we need in terms of consistency but exactly what we need to avoid a relegation scrap.

Both Garmston and Grandin are still without a club. Neither set the world alight whilst here but they're capable and were part of a squad that was putting together much better performances and form than the current one. In particular I'm surprised Garmston hasn't been offered anything when we're now reliant on a 20 year old playing his first games in the FL.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 52
Ipswin
December 2, 2020, 5:08pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
In fairness to Holloway he's in a 'no win' situation

First of all the mass of class players all fighting to play for him was total balderdash and signing untried lower league youngsters has been a total disaster.

He has now decided to go for experience in the January window, all very creditable but sadly the older more experienced players likely to come to BP tend to be those without or desperate for a club, either crocks who are coming to the end, unfit, not in a club or not played for a long time.

I think he's going to struggle to get any experienced quality but one or two older lads with lots of appearances behind them could be valuable for all the young lads hes trying to bring through

Just no more Hansons please, we can't afford that sort of salary for someone who is never going to play

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 52
WOZOFGRIMSBY
December 2, 2020, 5:54pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,816
Gold Stars: 178
We want, the same as every club 14th or lower in every division in every country wants/needs.

Player confidence and return of fans would be an amazing catalyst. Am sure had the season gone ahead as planned, season tickets would’ve been higher and the calibre of player would’ve been better. Instead, IH made a brave decision (imho the correct one) by installing the much maligned ‘COVID clause’. The club quite possibly needed this to survive.

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 52
davmariner
December 2, 2020, 5:54pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +37 / -10
Approval: +4,911
Gold Stars: 79
Bit concerned that we’re relying on new recruitment, which may not be in place until January 31st and will likely take time to gel. By then we’re likely to be in the midst of a relegation battle. We need to get the best out of the team now and grind out points with a shored up defence. Not convinced that Ollie is the man to be able to do that.

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 52
golfer
December 2, 2020, 5:58pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,429
Gold Stars: 115

I think Hanson is pretty good when FULLY fit, but whether he will ever attain that now is debatable. I still think he is the best we have at the moment at least to bring some experience up there.

Two players are grating my gears at the moment though - Green and Hewitt.

Green, honestly. Runs about a bit but to what end? He is always just too late in everything he does. Just a tad too late when he tries to close down, just a tad late arriving to meet a cross. It seems to me he does just enough to get through a game without really stretching himself.

Hewitt is a real enigma. He blows so hot and cold! Comes back into the team and really seems to improve us, then gives us virtually nothing the next game. Same when he is full back - seems half decent one game then looks like he has never played there before the next. Move him to midfield, seems ok there - till the next game and so it goes on. I know these are tier 4 players, but frustration doesn't describe it.

You don't know what your talking about - why don't you go back to calling the one you normally do.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 52
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › January Transfer Window?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.