1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
forza ivano
November 28, 2020, 11:46am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,128
Gold Stars: 265
I saw we beat the scunts 2.0 in the first round.anyone know the 2nd round details?
I'm thinking we must have a pretty talented, strong squad this year  with all the youngsters that IH has promoted and played
Logged Offline
Private Message
mimma
November 28, 2020, 1:44pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,567
Gold Stars: 78
I agree, it seems strange to me that we have so many good enough to get games in the first team, but we can't seem to get very far in the youth cup..
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 5
moosey_club
November 28, 2020, 4:11pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,208
Gold Stars: 224
Quoted from mimma
I agree, it seems strange to me that we have so many good enough to get games in the first team, but we can't seem to get very far in the youth cup..

Cant win anything with kids.....thought the club would have realised that by now.              

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 5
diehardmariner
November 30, 2020, 10:08am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,424
Gold Stars: 532
Quoted from mimma

Having watched a few of the youth cup games and some of their league fixtures in recent years, I think the problem in terms of success probably comes from what each side wants from the fixtures.

Whenever I've seen Town play it's more about the development.  You can see that there's a style and a philosophy in how Neil Woods sets his sides up.  I'm not saying they're not playing to win but it's clearly with an eye on developing those players to play first team football.  

I'm going to use an example of Mansfield who we played and lost against in one of the youth cups a few years ago.  Mansfield as a footballing side were bloody dreadful.  Nothing at all about them and not a single one of their players looked capable of making the step up into the mens game, technically just devoid of anything.  

Town on the other hand looked very slick, fluent and organised.  It's always hard to say this player could step up and this one couldn't, but no-one looked out of place.   First half Town absolutely dominated and led comfortably.  There was only going to be one winner at this stage.  

Half-time Mansfield responded by putting on an absolute bruiser up front.  He made Matt Rhead look slender and mobile.  This lad had about as much chance of making it as a professional footballer as I do.  But what he did do was bully the Town lads in defence, which included Mattie Pollock.  Mansfield went big boot with a man-child playing against children.  It worked and Mansfield won in the end.  Mansfield might have got through to the next round but their players probably didn't benefit from that game.  At that moment in time, a physical approach to the game like that would be too much for the Town lads who are still growing.  As they get stronger they'll be able to cope better with it.  

The Mansfield lads might benefit from that approach against young lads, because they definitely had that physical advantage, but in the mens league that advantage is redundant.  They've also gained nothing in terms of technical development.  

This is the case in a lot of the league games I've seen too.  Town don't seem as big or strong but the emphasis is more on giving them the technical skills, knowing that the physicality will come in time.  Whereas other clubs go for the biggest, strongest lads who might be dominant until about 18 but once everyone else catches up they actually get left behind.

Private Message
Reply: 3 - 5
Rick12
November 30, 2020, 10:29am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from diehardmariner

Whenever I've seen Town play it's more about the development.  You can see that there's a style and a philosophy in how Neil Woods sets his sides up.  I'm not saying they're not playing to win but it's clearly with an eye on developing those players to play first team football.  

This is the case in a lot of the league games I've seen too.  Town don't seem as big or strong but the emphasis is more on giving them the technical skills, knowing that the physicality will come in time.  Whereas other clubs go for the biggest, strongest lads who might be dominant until about 18 but once everyone else catches up they actually get left behind.

Great post.

I get the feeeling Neil Woods is a decent coach for the youth . Nice person and youngsters will warm to that.

I like the fact that Town seem to putting on emphasis on the technical side. For me whilst physicality is important the technical side is more so. Iam a purist at heart when it comes to football and love seeing good technical football. Some of the Brazilian sides of the past have embodied this best particularly  the 1970 Brazilian side and the historic Spanish team that won a record breaking 3 international trophy's on the bounce between 2008 and 2012.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 5
lew chaterleys lover
November 30, 2020, 10:43am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,654
Gold Stars: 234
Quoted from diehardmariner

Having watched a few of the youth cup games and some of their league fixtures in recent years, I think the problem in terms of success probably comes from what each side wants from the fixtures.

I'm going to use an example of Mansfield who we played and lost against in one of the youth cups a few years ago.  Mansfield as a footballing side were bloody dreadful.  Nothing at all about them and not a single one of their players looked capable of making the step up into the mens game, technically just devoid of anything.  

Town on the other hand looked very slick, fluent and organised.  It's always hard to say this player could step up and this one couldn't, but no-one looked out of place.   First half Town absolutely dominated and led comfortably.  There was only going to be one winner at this stage.  

Half-time Mansfield responded by putting on an absolute bruiser up front.  He made Matt Rhead look slender and mobile.  This lad had about as much chance of making it as a professional footballer as I do.  But what he did do was bully the Town lads in defence, which included Mattie Pollock.  Mansfield went big boot with a man-child playing against children.  It worked and Mansfield won in the end.  Mansfield might have got through to the next round but their players probably didn't benefit from that game.  At that moment in time, a physical approach to the game like that would be too much for the Town lads who are still growing.  As they get stronger they'll be able to cope better with it.  

The Mansfield lads might benefit from that approach against young lads, because they definitely had that physical advantage, but in the mens league that advantage is redundant.  They've also gained nothing in terms of technical development.  

Spot on. This has been the problem in English football for donkey's years -  youth team coaches thinking about winning above all else. This is why so many youth players fall by the wayside - their technical ability is just not there but they might be quicker or bigger and stronger than their colleagues who are not given enough time to develop physically. Even at school, there is an enormous difference when players are 14/15 when some are more or less men physically and others are just children. This is why I never take notice of a "great prospect" at a very young age - things can change very quickly.

Every youth coach should have it in his contract that results do not matter. The only thing that matters is developing youngsters with the attributes to progress to the first team. We all love winning, but even if Town won the youth cup 10 times in a row using powerful but limited players, but we were still in league 2 nothing has been gained, has it?
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 5
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › FA Youth Cup

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.