Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Where I live ( exiles )
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 216 Guests

Where I live ( exiles )

This thread currently has 23,630 views. Print
21 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
grimsby pete
November 26, 2020, 11:22am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,781
Gold Stars: 222
I thought it would be nice to find out where most of the exiles live and why they moved there.

Apart from two years living in Middlesbough between the age of 5--7 I lived in Grimsby and Cleethorpes until the age of 39.

We moved to Sudbury in Suffolk because my wife had a job offer to manage a new sheltered housing scheme from her employer , I gave up my job as a car salesman and encouraged her to take it so we could have a new adventure (a bit like Ollie and wife )  

After two years our daughter moved into Suffolk in a small village called Thurston.
One day while visiting the daughter we passed a new sheltered housing scheme which was a five minute walk from the daughters so the wife said I think I will put if for that job if they have not got anybody appointed yet. They hadn't so she did and she got the job which was with a different company.
So we moved to Thurston and we have stayed here ever since , it did not make any difference to my job with the Suffolk County Council as I visited building all around Suffolk.

When we both retired first the wife then myself we decided to stay in the village which has grown from 1500 people to over 4000 and its still growing.
It's a nice area to live but Grimsby will always be home and the mariners will always be the only team for me.
I have formed a mini Grimsby Town fan club here with my grandchildren and great grandchildren.I

Once a mariner always a mariner.

Ipswich is only 30 minutes away and Norwich less than a hour but could never support them the only time I have been is to see town play and its the same with Colchester and Cambridge plenty of clubs I could choose to watch but haven't.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Town Monkey
November 26, 2020, 11:31am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +379
Gold Stars: 6
I was born in Grimsby (but never actually lived there).  I lived in Holton Le Clay until I was 6, moved to Grantham where I grew up and then went to Uni in Southampton.  Moved to Bristol for my first graduate job in 2001 and have never left the South West.  I moved to a village in North Somerset in 2010 as we were having kids and the local schools in Bristol weren't great at the time.  Where I live now is relatively idyllic and I still work in Bristol (although haven't been to office since February).  In normal times, I travel a lot with work and we have Bristol airport nearby and London is 2 hours away by train.  

I've never stopped supporting Town, there's only ever been one club for me.  I haven't inflicted Town on my son though, he's a Bristol City fan but he's still seen Town win more than them live.  Mainly thanks to the last 2 visits to Exeter (and the fact that he's never seen City score when we've been to a game)!  That said he's more into cricket than anything else....  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 205
Mariner Timsky
November 26, 2020, 11:50am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,533
Gold Stars: 4
Great idea Pete

Born Nunny maternity home (1983) - lived and brought up Watford Ave on the Grange  - left 1995 for a place called Northampton

Lived here ever since - well actually live in Flore now which is about 20 mins drive to the Town Centre

So my old man had a Fish Round down in London and the surrounding villages and he was driving a lot so needed to find a place to live that would cut out the driving and we ended up in Northampton - ironically he no longer does the Fish anymore but drives for a living!

Met some good Grimsby folk here in Northampton - Mike , Mick and his two lads and also Mick's mate who I do appologise I have forget your name - terrible memory for my age

Stand Up For The Mariners!!!!!
Stand Up For The Mariners!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 205
promotion plaice
November 26, 2020, 12:26pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +16,996
Gold Stars: 193

My journey was in the opposite direction Pete.

My father who came from Hull was drafted in as a shuttering joiner to work on the 53 Mablethorpe flood disaster. He ended up staying in digs at a guest house on Grant Street here (Cleethorpes) which just happened to be run by my future grandparents.
He met my mother there, they got married and moved to Hull. I was born in Hull and grew up in Cottingham. My dad used to take me to watch the Tigers at Boothferry Park when I was a kid, Chilton, Wagstaff, Simpkin to name a few. He was a Hull City fanatic.
My mother missed her parents so they decided to move back to Cleethorpes.
Never forget the day I started school at St Peters on the Ave, sh!tting myself, I would have had a Hull  accent back then. Fortunately the accent disappeared over the years  
Did a lot of fishing with my school mates at Beacon Hill/Matthew so was a late starter for my age following Town. Started following Town in the late 70's, what a great time that was, hooked ever since.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 205
Limerick Mariner
November 26, 2020, 12:44pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,664
Gold Stars: 136
Born in Brigg.
Leeds Uni (Gary Lund's girlfriend [now wife apparently] was also there, a couple of times I had the surreal experience of him catching the same train after the game - nice guy, now an estate agent that plays alot of golf...)
From age 23 on - Lancashire (Burnley then Preston)
Manchester 7 years
Limerick 5 years (about a mile from the Waters ancestral home) - became a county cricketer - County Limerick - about Brigg Town 2nd XI standard.
Leicestershire - Melton Mowbray...

Addendum - I have 3 kids who all support Town, never having lived within 80 miles of Gy, the minor trade-off is they all support Leicester Tigers who, up until 3 yrs ago, used to mostly win, at least it's not another football team...
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 205
Henryscat
November 26, 2020, 12:47pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,395
Born in Croft Baker and lived in Gy til I was 18 and went to Bradford for uni. Lived there 6 years then moved to Stockport where I have been for 16 years now.

Panic on the streets of Carlisle, Dublin, Dundee, Humberside
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 205
Northbank Mariner
November 26, 2020, 1:02pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.76
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,443
Gold Stars: 171
Grimsby born n bred, moved to Beverley in 2001 to live with my now,, thankfully, ex-wife.
Worked at Immingham docks until 2004, then changed jobs and ended up staying on the north bank and now living on the outskirts of Hessle.
My boy was born in Beverley, now 16 and followed in my foot steps and is GTFC through to the core, proudly dons his town shirts, tops, coat and hat everywhere he goes.👍⚽
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 205
FishOutOfWater
November 26, 2020, 1:06pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.15
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,564
Gold Stars: 37
Born in Nunsthorpe at the maternity hospital

Lived my early years in Cleethorpes ( Lovett Street ) so within earshot of BP... there was no way I was not going to go there to find out more about all the cheers I could hear from our house  

Moved to Grimsby when I was 8 and stayed local until my early 20s ( apart from a year at Newcastle Poly ) then moved with my job (VW) to MK

For the first 4-5 years came home just about every weekend as there was nothing to do - only stayed there when Town had a game down that way. To be honest being a central location was better for getting to away games than being in GY

Lived there for 15 years - got married and had my first daughter there but then started heading back northwards
into Northamptonshire ( Thrapston - just a coupe of miles away from the old Rushden ground )

Lived there 10 years (and had another daughter and a son) before taking a leap of faith coming back north

How I'd have loved to come back to my hometown but the (ex) Mrs wanted to go back to her roots so ended up in Goole...... I can't say I live here really.

It's just my base in the week now as I work in Hull and come over to GY ( or did ) for all the home games ( along with my son - we were both season ticket holders until this season )

The wife divorced me a couple of years back and the kids are all in their 20s now and building their own lives so I really do feel like "a fish out of water" over here. A bit like a salmon, being spawned near the Humber and after testing the waters elsewhere, want/need to come back to my familiar old ground

I'm getting closer to retirement now and once that's all done, then more than likely I'll end up going back to my roots. Can't wait!  

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 7 - 205
Ipswin
November 26, 2020, 1:23pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Born in Croft Baker in 1951 Lived in Rowston Street and first saw Town on Christmas Day 1958 (we lost)

Went to Clee Grammar. Joined Her Majesty's Customs and Excise in 1968 at Immingham

Married my wife, a nurse at the General, in 1973 and bought our first house in Claremont Road. Our lad Matt (named after the great man) was born in 1976

Transferred to Ipswich in 1978 to work on drugs Investigation Duties. Retired early in 2005

Wanted to move back 'home' on retirement but my wife is a Skeggy lass not Grimsby plus our son and two grand daughters are down here so stuck in silly Suffolk for life I guess.

Only ever been in Portman Road in the 40+ years I have been here when the Mariners were the visitors

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 205
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
November 26, 2020, 1:28pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Born and lived an idyllic childhood in a small village near Leeds until I was 11, unfortunately at a rugby league school but still preferred football. My hero was John Charles. My mother came from Grimsby but had relatives in Leeds, father was born and bred in Leeds.

Used to visit Cleethorpes at least twice a year and got my intro to BP and Ron Rafferty at Christmas Day 1956.

Eventually moved permanently to Cleethorpes then Grimsby for the next few years. Lost most of the Yorks accent then, my Dad never did though. Became a committed Mariner.
Later went to Nottingham and then worked in various places in West Yorks before returning to GY ...... until 7 years ago when I moved to Norfolk and support Town by mouse, keyboard and profanity.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 205
21 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Where I live ( exiles )

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.