KingstonMariner
November 26, 2020, 9:32pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Stadium

God might have something to say about that.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 90 - 122
Rick12
November 27, 2020, 8:18am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from ginnywings

To be as good as he was with minimal training and his lifestyle speaks to what a phenomenally gifted player he was. God knows how good he would have been if he took it seriously.
Reminds me a bit of Ronaldinho. Unbelievable talent and in his prime was a phenomenon .Sadly from reading books/articles/videos  on football started  going out to much and form began to lapse. Not only that but the amount of money he started to earn from sponsorship  also began to affect him . When Messi first came on the scene at  Barcelona Ronaldinho affected  him .Messi use to go out with him to nightclubs too much and his form suffered. Pep Guardiola took him to one side gave him a real talking to along the lines of if you don't sacrifice your career will stall but if you make the effort and try to improve physically and mentally you could be one of  the best .Messi took the latter option and respect to him because as we say the rest is history.

For me and others Ronaldinho sadly should have won more than the 2 Ballon d' Ors that his outrageous talent merited.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 91 - 122
louth_in_the_south
November 27, 2020, 8:59am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +5,552
Gold Stars: 94

It’s very difficult to compare Messi and C.Ronaldo to the rest. The game has changed so much. Neither LM or CR have ever had a serious injury. Maradona had to evade career ending tackles every week and sometimes he failed...which is wear the drug abuse first started.

I’m not sure he squandered his talents. From the late 70s to 89/90 he was the best player in the world by a huge margin, in an era of Van Basten, Platini, Rijkaard, Matthäus, Zico, Gullit...

I think his drug use started when he started hanging around with the Naples mafia !!!

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 92 - 122
toontown
November 27, 2020, 11:39am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,159
Gold Stars: 69
Without doubt the greatest player of all time for me. What he did with Argentina in 86 singlehandedly and in 90 almost singlehandedly, as well as napoli, just incredible. Nobody else can touch him. When u think he was coked up, playing with nagging injuries and it was an era in which fouling players was punished less harshly it's even more incredible. But yeah I didn't like the cheating little argie twit lol.

The only one who comes close is Ronaldo and he is a right bell end too lol.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 93 - 122
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
November 27, 2020, 11:49am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Well worth reading for an even handed account by one of the best ever sports journalists.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/art.....-world-cup-n5nk907xx

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 94 - 122
Rick12
November 27, 2020, 11:57am
Vodka Drinker
Well worth reading for an even handed account by one of the best ever sports journalists.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/art.....-world-cup-n5nk907xx
Thanks Ron

This book is worth reading . I remember going through it and  there was tragedy and triumph more so the the former . Maradona was one of the best ever but like others who have been blessed with God given talent couldn't cope with the adulation .

https://www.amazon.co.uk/El-Diego-Autobiography-Greatest-Footballer/dp/0224071904

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 95 - 122
Stadium
November 27, 2020, 12:26pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +1,913
Gold Stars: 19

“There's nothing wrong with the car except that it's on fire.”- Murray Walker
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 96 - 122
Stadium
November 27, 2020, 12:28pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +1,913
Gold Stars: 19
Quoted from KingstonMariner

God might have something to say about that.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EnrwnJWXIAEl45v?format=jpg&name=large

“There's nothing wrong with the car except that it's on fire.”- Murray Walker
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 97 - 122
Rick12
November 27, 2020, 1:56pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Stadium
Thanks for uploading the link. Ive seen this one. I liked it a lot. Very moving especially in the fact that now he is dead. Flawed genius.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 98 - 122
TownSNAFU5
November 27, 2020, 2:30pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,773
Gold Stars: 41
The respected football writer Guillem Balogue has been researching a book on Maradona.  He soon realised  that he knew virtually nothing about him.  The most complex of men.  The magician, the cheat, the god, the flawed genius.  

There are a 100 different Maradonas.  The journalists article is on the BBC Football website.  

Maradona not only won the World Cup and 2 Serie A titles;  he did it with below average teams.  For good measure, he also won the Italian Cup with Napoli as well as winning the league.

Maradona was the first football to have a full-time agent,  the first to have a personal trainer (he needed one). He was very supporting of other teammates, refusing to play for Argentina until all the other players were given bonuses.

In less than 250 seconds against England he scored 2 of the goals that are talked about more than nearly any other goal.  If he could score the second, he did not need to score the first the way he did.

As a flawed genius could he have been better without drugs etc?  Probably, not. Maradona believed that he could have been better.   The 2 goals v England sum him up.  2 extremes together.  The same way that say George Best or Ronnie O'Sullivan were and are also flawed performers.

The author took some Argentinian shirts and a Bigglleswade United shirt (He is Chairman) to Maradona for him to autograph.  Maradona only wanted to sign and pose for a picture with the Biggleswade shirt.  (Picture shown on the BBC article).

Maradone received some brutal treatment.  This directly helped change football and helped protect modern players such as Messi from similar treatment.

Free of drugs, and benefitting from all the developments and advantages modern footballers have, Maradona could have had a much longer career.  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 99 - 122
13 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Maradona

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.