Abdul19
November 27, 2020, 4:57pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.42
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,449
Gold Stars: 213
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
The respected football writer Guillem Balogue has been researching a book on Maradona.  He soon realised  that he knew virtually nothing about him.  The most complex of men.  The magician, the cheat, the god, the flawed genius.  

There are a 100 different Maradonas.  The journalists article is on the BBC Football website.  

Maradona not only won the World Cup and 2 Serie A titles;  he did it with below average teams.  For good measure, he also won the Italian Cup with Napoli as well as winning the league.

Maradona was the first football to have a full-time agent,  the first to have a personal trainer (he needed one). He was very supporting of other teammates, refusing to play for Argentina until all the other players were given bonuses.

In less than 250 seconds against England he scored 2 of the goals that are talked about more than nearly any other goal.  If he could score the second, he did not need to score the first the way he did.

As a flawed genius could he have been better without drugs etc?  Probably, not. Maradona believed that he could have been better.   The 2 goals v England sum him up.  2 extremes together.  The same way that say George Best or Ronnie O'Sullivan were and are also flawed performers.

The author took some Argentinian shirts and a Bigglleswade United shirt (He is Chairman) to Maradona for him to autograph.  Maradona only wanted to sign and pose for a picture with the Biggleswade shirt.  (Picture shown on the BBC article).

Maradone received some brutal treatment.  This directly helped change football and helped protect modern players such as Messi from similar treatment.

Free of drugs, and benefitting from all the developments and advantages modern footballers have, Maradona could have had a much longer career.  

Think he was taking that at the last World Cup  

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 100 - 122
Stadium
November 27, 2020, 5:06pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +1,913
Gold Stars: 19
Quoted from Rick12
Thanks for uploading the link. Ive seen this one. I liked it a lot. Very moving especially in the fact that now he is dead. Flawed genius.

Great documentary
Might message Shilton so he doesn't miss it.

“There's nothing wrong with the car except that it's on fire.”- Murray Walker
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 101 - 122
louth_in_the_south
November 27, 2020, 7:31pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +5,552
Gold Stars: 94
Best player ever by a long way . Yes the righteous people will call him a cheat but it’s only sour grapes for the handball. If it wasn’t against us they’d say different . You only have to watch the 2 goals in Mexico to know he was on a different level . So many other incredible moments that any fan of the beautiful game should just say thank you , you nutter !!  

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 102 - 122
grimsby pete
November 27, 2020, 11:09pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.83
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,753
Gold Stars: 221
At the time I thought he was a cheat but as Lineker said he did not blame him but the ref and linesman who did not spot it.

As a.player he was second to none and loved wherever he played but he was.a addict although there is no evidence he did harm to anybody but himself.

He loved his family and they loved him that's all you can ask in life.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 103 - 122
aldi_01
November 28, 2020, 7:14am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.04
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
As many have said, had he not scored that goal against England, we wouldn’t give a excrement and I’d argue that to a man we’d all be saying the same thing.

We always ignore the fact that both goal, handball aside, were excellent and the England teams attempts to stop him were awful.

He was a genius and as stated earlier, took average teams to the very top. Napoli weren’t successful side, haven’t been since but that period of time they were excellent. Similar with Argentina and as folk have said, he enjoyed football.

Bonkers, yes? Too much time on the yeyo? Indeed...but even then, he was still the best in the world for a time...

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 104 - 122
Rick12
November 28, 2020, 8:30am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from louth_in_the_south
You only have to watch the 2 goals in Mexico to know he was on a different level . So many other incredible moments that any fan of the beautiful game should just say thank you , you nutter !!  
Saw Maradona last night on BBC2  interviewed by Gary Lineker which was filmed in 2006 . There was filming done at a Boca Juniors game and my God was Diego  passionate about the game. That side of him I liked .Just a shame about the drug taking/cheating. Likewise watching the rerun yesterday of England v Argentina 1986 game which the BBC put on their online website and he was quality. Only watched a bit and was always looking out for Maradona but when he did get the ball  as you say another level.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 105 - 122
Manchester Mariner
November 28, 2020, 8:51am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +11 / -3
Approval: +2,804
Gold Stars: 41
For me, the semi-final against Belgium in 86 was more defining for him than the England game. His 2 goals are absolutely sublime.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0E9qCaoEgl8

"Lovelly stuff! not my words but the words of Shakin Stevens."
Private Message
Reply: 106 - 122
Rick12
November 28, 2020, 9:08am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from Manchester Mariner
For me, the semi-final against Belgium in 86 was more defining for him than the England game. His 2 goals are absolutely sublime.

Nice to see Maradona when he looked well in that video. Just came across this. Bloated but the talent never left him. Its why I admire Pele more. Another gifted player and probably the best all rounder ever but never took to the drugs and drink like Maradona did. Thats something I always admire. The ability to cope with the gifts God has given you and also the adulation that comes with it .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJ69bFbgVG8

Pele said something beautiful about Maradona's passing on twitter:

"What sad news. I lost a great friend and the world lost a legend. There is still much to be said, but for now, may God give strength to family members. One day, I hope we can play ball together in the sky".

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 107 - 122
fishboyUTM
November 28, 2020, 9:18am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +1,046
Gold Stars: 40
He was a scumbag, the world a better place with him six feet under.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 108 - 122
louth_in_the_south
November 28, 2020, 10:07am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +5,552
Gold Stars: 94
Quoted from fishboyUTM
He was a scumbag, the world a better place with him six feet under.

I feel sorry for individuals like you .

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 109 - 122
13 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Maradona

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.