5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Garth
November 25, 2020, 11:59am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
Flash Gordon? Didn't he get arrested in Bradley Woods?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 49
LH
November 25, 2020, 12:25pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,500
Gold Stars: 173
Man who has spent a lot of time in recent years in the media talking rubbish rages at media for talking rubbish.
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 49
pontoonlew
November 25, 2020, 12:28pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +8,994
Gold Stars: 171
Quoted from diehardmariner
Preston, Rose, Scannell and Edwards were all Holloway signings this summer.  Replacing those that left (Glennon, Hessenthaler, Vernam and Clarke if you like).

Idehen was given a professional contract by Holloway and Wright was handed a new contract this summer.

So that's 6 of the 11 who are Holloway signings be it retained, brought in or promoted.

We weren't in the market for a new goalkeeper or right-back either.

Of the 7 subs, 5 are players that Holloway has brought in or promoted from the youth set-up.

I know what you're saying, you look at the likes of Bennett, Morton, Gibson, Williams, Windsor, Jackson Jnr, Sisay....and think well why did we bring them in.  But I guess that was always the plan to have a big squad but ultimately someone's got to miss out when you can only name 18 in the match day squad.

Very harsh to include Windsor and Williams with the others
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 49
Lincoln Mariner 56
November 25, 2020, 12:45pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,688
Gold Stars: 73
Quoted from pontoonlew

Very harsh to include Windsor and Williams with the others

Think to be fair Williams has shown ability but only in flashes and like many a town signing we need him to be more consistent and contribute positively in a higher percentage of games. Windsor appears to have faded a little after his bright start but that’s understandable and at his age he can’t be expected to be the main man up front on a regular basis.

The choice of substitutes last night, promoting a number of the academy players, is both interesting and telling. One has to believe that neither Sisay or Jackson Jnr are going to make it here as neither is getting a look in, other than reserve matches once every three weeks, and both should be fit enough now for the odd cameo appearance should they be deemed good enough.

In between the ramblings last night it is clear that Ollie is more then impressed with the quality of the players coming through the academy and one does wonder if we are in a similar position to when, in the mid to late seventies, we had the pleasure of watching so many local lads make good in one of town’s best teams in any era. Interesting times.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 49
November 25, 2020, 12:51pm
Guest User
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56

Think to be fair Williams has shown ability but only in flashes and like many a town signing we need him to be more consistent and contribute positively in a higher percentage of games. Windsor appears to have faded a little after his bright start but that’s understandable and at his age he can’t be expected to be the main man up front on a regular basis.

The choice of substitutes last night, promoting a number of the academy players, is both interesting and telling. One has to believe that neither Sisay or Jackson Jnr are going to make it here as neither is getting a look in, other than reserve matches once every three weeks, and both should be fit enough now for the odd cameo appearance should they be deemed good enough.

In between the ramblings last night it is clear that Ollie is more then impressed with the quality of the players coming through the academy and one does wonder if we are in a similar position to when, in the mid to late seventies, we had the pleasure of watching so many local lads make good in one of town’s best teams in any era. Interesting times.

And even if they may not turn out good enough. The balls to play them, even when under a lot of pressure is massively impressive Holloway.

The younger lads will see they have a route up into the first team. This will encourage the lads as well as all the staff who are doing an excellent job with them.

Hopefully means some will be tempted to stay and sign with us rather than go and rot in the reserves at a bigger club.

Cos of the lack of funding .... this is a brilliant strategy.  
Reply: 34 - 49
BobbyCummingsTackle
November 25, 2020, 12:58pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,263
Gold Stars: 295
There's a bit of naivety around Tondeur here. He's a journalist, he doesn't work for Town and he doesn't have to follow any specific type or line of questioning. It would be nice if he was a bit more positive and supportive of the club and manager but he just doesn't have to be.

Ollie is media savvy and should know better than to rise to it. Tondeur may have realised that poking the bear gets a response and he's going to keep poking it.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 49
jamesgtfc
November 25, 2020, 1:32pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,955
Gold Stars: 190
JT can't win here. Every week he's criticised for not asking the questions and after a 5-1 defeat loads of fans are demanding that he gets stuck into Ollie.

He does this and he's criticised all round.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 49
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
November 25, 2020, 1:36pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
There's a bit of naivety around Tondeur here. He's a journalist, he doesn't work for Town and he doesn't have to follow any specific type or line of questioning. It would be nice if he was a bit more positive and supportive of the club and manager but he just doesn't have to be.

Ollie is media savvy and should know better than to rise to it. Tondeur may have realised that poking the bear gets a response and he's going to keep poking it.

I agree with much you say there.

John is a decent chap, local, ex teacher and passionate about his home town club. He has been reporting and commentating on Town for longer than some posters have been on the planet so he knows a fair bit about the game and specifically about the club, probably a lot more than most Fishy folk and more than it would be prudent for him to say publicly.

But his job involves asking awkward questions if the situation requires. He is not and should never be a PR outlet for GTFC.  Personally I find he generally asks the sort of questions I would like to ask if I was there. I don't think he is poking anything or anyone, bear or not. He is simply doing his job with the best of intentions. If there is a problem it is on Ollie's side of the equation. Oversensitivity is not something a manager can afford. Ask Jolley.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 49
geir
November 25, 2020, 2:01pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +19 / 0
Approval: +1,385
Gold Stars: 9

JT is a journalist and as a journalist he is in his right to ask whatever "difficult" question he wants to. In fact, the more "difficult" his questions are - the better he is doing his job. I don`t feel he is too critical or asks too difficult questions. If you believe so, you should have seen some of the things that my local football team journalists asks... and you would say that every manager in Grimsby and the club has been treated very well.
On the other hand: it is up to the interview subject if he wants to answer the questions he is getting - you always have the choice to say "no comment" and so on.
I love to listen to Holloway`s press conferences, and when he starts rambling on outside the subject I am reminded that the lines between madness and genius are very thin indeed. But that`s why the media and most supporters find him a great manager, I guess?

Holloway IN! Up the Mariners!

My non-football related blog: http://geirmykl.wordpress.com/
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 49
TonySmith
November 25, 2020, 2:30pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +4 / -1
Approval: +967
Gold Stars: 11
    It's getting a bit old now for Ollie to go on and on about coronavirus in every interview, win, lose, or draw. I think we all understand the difficulties and frustrations he is dealing with at this point, and some of that has more to do with GTFC's location and budget than Covid. That's the same issue that all Town managers have to deal with and will have to continue to deal with unless and until a sugar daddy comes along. He has taken on a very challenging job and Covid has only made it harder. We understand this. There should be no fitness excuses at this point though. Any players who are not injured but not fit enough yet are probably never going to be fit enough.

He's not the first manager to give a combative interview after a heavy defeat ( Michael Jolley knows all about that!) but he might be the first to give a combative interview after a good away win. Last night would have been the perfect opportunity for him just to focus on the team and their efforts. Scannell looked like the player we hoped we were getting and the winning goal was beautifully set up and well taken by Max Wright. So come on Ollie, let's have an interview that focuses on the football!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 49
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Olly after Crawley win

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.