5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
diehardmariner
November 25, 2020, 9:37am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,535
Gold Stars: 537
If you're a journalist, getting an interview with Holloway is easy money isn't it?  You just point the microphone at him, ask any question and he'll spill everything.

Definitely best to take a pinch of salt with his interviews as he has always just gone on big rants.  They've become less coherent of late though and like a few others have said, he's clearly struggling with the current situation.  Seems that he's really feeling the pressure and is lashing out a little bit.  

Don't get me wrong, I find the constant Covid excuses tiring as we've all suffered from them.  Everyone else is in the same boat and everyone else is having to play Saturday-Tuesday-Saturday....in fact, enforced breaks have probably put us in a better position than a lot of clubs.  Everyone else has a squad of players who didn't play for however long, but they're all up to speed now.

For all sakes, I think it's probably best if Holloway gives the media duties to someone else for the time.
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 49
golfer
November 25, 2020, 9:37am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,426
Gold Stars: 115
He likes to hear his own voice and talks a load of bull half of the time. Why not come out and say " We ( I ) got the selection right for once and hopefully we ( I ) will now be able to field a settled team and stop swapping and changing at every match. I would also like to thank the team for absolutely running their guts out and thank the fans for sticking by us  ( me ) through all the shite that we ( I ) have previously served up. Let tonights success be carried forward "
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 49
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
November 25, 2020, 9:41am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
If Ollie talks to players in the same way he talks to the press it’s a wonder they can work out what he’s talking about. Keep it simple Ollie, you’re a football manager not the messiah, you don’t have to solve every problem overnight ........ just the football ones.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 49
oochiad
November 25, 2020, 10:08am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.62
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +3,714
Gold Stars: 27
JTs constant negativity is what he’s on about. A little over the top but it’s got to him like it does with most managers. It’s true that if you hadn’t watched any of the games and only listened to JT you would never have thought a performance like last night was possible but in reality even after Saturday we all know that the team is capable of such performances. All about opinions of course and you have all decided he’s mad, fair enough but I don’t as JT has also got to me which is why I can’t be arsed to listen to him anymore. What a win! UTM!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 49
MuddyWaters
November 25, 2020, 10:24am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,235
Gold Stars: 235
It's fantastic that we won but. And I don't mean this to be negative but only a very few of the summer signings started last night. Great that the youth prospects are being given a chance but it looks like we got summer massively wrong.
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 49
diehardmariner
November 25, 2020, 10:47am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,535
Gold Stars: 537
Preston, Rose, Scannell and Edwards were all Holloway signings this summer.  Replacing those that left (Glennon, Hessenthaler, Vernam and Clarke if you like).

Idehen was given a professional contract by Holloway and Wright was handed a new contract this summer.

So that's 6 of the 11 who are Holloway signings be it retained, brought in or promoted.

We weren't in the market for a new goalkeeper or right-back either.

Of the 7 subs, 5 are players that Holloway has brought in or promoted from the youth set-up.

I know what you're saying, you look at the likes of Bennett, Morton, Gibson, Williams, Windsor, Jackson Jnr, Sisay....and think well why did we bring them in.  But I guess that was always the plan to have a big squad but ultimately someone's got to miss out when you can only name 18 in the match day squad.
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 49
TAGG
November 25, 2020, 11:06am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,961
Gold Stars: 124
Quoted from diehardmariner
If you're a journalist, getting an interview with Holloway is easy money isn't it?  You just point the microphone at him, ask any question and he'll spill everything.

Definitely best to take a pinch of salt with his interviews as he has always just gone on big rants.  They've become less coherent of late though and like a few others have said, he's clearly struggling with the current situation.  Seems that he's really feeling the pressure and is lashing out a little bit.  

Don't get me wrong, I find the constant Covid excuses tiring as we've all suffered from them.  Everyone else is in the same boat and everyone else is having to play Saturday-Tuesday-Saturday....in fact, enforced breaks have probably put us in a better position than a lot of clubs.  Everyone else has a squad of players who didn't play for however long, but they're all up to speed now.

For all sakes, I think it's probably best if Holloway gives the media duties to someone else for the time.

Totaly agree
At first he was funny but its well and truly worn off now.
He sounds like a rambling fool.

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 49
MuddyWaters
November 25, 2020, 11:40am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,235
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from diehardmariner
Preston, Rose, Scannell and Edwards were all Holloway signings this summer.  Replacing those that left (Glennon, Hessenthaler, Vernam and Clarke if you like).

Idehen was given a professional contract by Holloway and Wright was handed a new contract this summer.

So that's 6 of the 11 who are Holloway signings be it retained, brought in or promoted.

We weren't in the market for a new goalkeeper or right-back either.

Of the 7 subs, 5 are players that Holloway has brought in or promoted from the youth set-up.

I know what you're saying, you look at the likes of Bennett, Morton, Gibson, Williams, Windsor, Jackson Jnr, Sisay....and think well why did we bring them in.  But I guess that was always the plan to have a big squad but ultimately someone's got to miss out when you can only name 18 in the match day squad.

Interesting that you left Mohsni out of those that appear peripheral! My point is mainly that Idehen is ahead of Mohsni, Wright is ahead of Williams and Luis Adlard is seen as a better bench option than Gibson, Jackson Jnr and Sisay. There's loads of positives in that but there's too many wasted signings in the building.
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 49
lew chaterleys lover
November 25, 2020, 11:46am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,714
Gold Stars: 236
I think most if not all managers get fed up with John Tondeur's negativity.

If you listen to other "home" commentators when we play them, they are much more supportive of their team.

It is not like national media where you have to be strictly impartial is it? The local radio station should be rooting for the local teams, shouldn't they?

Being a Grimsby Town manager is not the easiest of jobs at the best of times, so a bit of support when things aren't going well would not go amiss from JT and co.

Its human nature to want to throw it back at JT and others after a win.

I think win lose or draw Ollie never really talks about the match itself, does he? He tends to drift off on a tangent and the interviewer has to try to get him back on the subject, but that is one of the things that make him unique is it not? Obviously he is a very emotional character and that is just the way it is, just like Hurst was always dour, win lose or draw.

He also has a fierce will to win and a ruthless streak, as shown by leaving people out altogether last night so leave him be I say.
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 49
Limerick Mariner
November 25, 2020, 11:47am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,693
Gold Stars: 136
A good job we won - lets Ollie off the hook a bit for that interview - not a "car crash" of Rudy Guiliani proportions (with hair dye running down his face) but would have needed a claim on the insurance...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 49
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Olly after Crawley win

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.