Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Grismby Town Forum - The Fishy GTFC Fishy Boards Archive › Olly after Crawley win
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 214 Guests

The last message you viewed in this thread was reply number 41.

Olly after Crawley win

This thread currently has 6,600 views. Print
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 All Recommend Thread
ginnywings
November 25, 2020, 11:41pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 538
For a bit of balance, and to be fair to IH, it does seem that we are definitely more affected by covid than the majority of other teams are. We have a board that take financial prudence to the extreme and he had the double whammy of losing a good chunk of last years squad that he would have retained, and not getting the experienced players he wanted for this season, due to our insistence on trimming everything to the bone and adding the covid clause to contract negotiations in case the season never got underway. There was also the introduction of the salary cap on top of all that, although we did state that the cap was wanted and would be the amount we went with regardless. There now being no chance of extending the budget even if we wanted, to get us out of a hole. The alarm bells started ringing when we allowed Vernam to move on despite having an extension clause.

What we did could have worked in our favour had the season been scrapped, while others would have struggled more with bigger wage bills and no income. As it turned out, all this transpired to leave us with a hastily put together squad of inexperienced and unfit players, added to which we have had injuries to key players. A bit of a perfect storm of circumstances.

A lot of the other sides already had well developed squads in place and didn't have the covid clause, which made it easier for them to add to what they already had.

I think IH is trying to say that we/they got it wrong without actually saying we got it wrong. Hopefully, we will now start to perform a bit better and climb the table, with some more experienced players on the horizon, strengthening us even more.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 49
KingstonMariner
November 26, 2020, 12:12am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Holloway needs to realise it’s a journalists job to ask questions. Simple. Struck me as unnecessarily angry last night. If JT has his tongue up Holloway’sarse when we performed badly people would soon be moaning.

I know JT can come over all Eeyorish on the commentary, but IH needs to suck up the questions and get on with making sure he doesn’t get asked difficult questions in the first place.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 49
Southwark Mariner
November 26, 2020, 12:32am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,537
Gold Stars: 81
Slade, Jolley and now Holloway. Doesn't seem to matter which manager it is.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 49
Limerick Mariner
November 26, 2020, 8:47am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.55
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,555
Gold Stars: 133
Quoted from ginnywings
For a bit of balance, and to be fair to IH, it does seem that we are definitely more affected by covid than the majority of other teams are. We have a board that take financial prudence to the extreme and he had the double whammy of losing a good chunk of last years squad that he would have retained, and not getting the experienced players he wanted for this season, due to our insistence on trimming everything to the bone and adding the covid clause to contract negotiations in case the season never got underway. There was also the introduction of the salary cap on top of all that, although we did state that the cap was wanted and would be the amount we went with regardless. There now being no chance of extending the budget even if we wanted, to get us out of a hole. The alarm bells started ringing when we allowed Vernam to move on despite having an extension clause.

What we did could have worked in our favour had the season been scrapped, while others would have struggled more with bigger wage bills and no income. As it turned out, all this transpired to leave us with a hastily put together squad of inexperienced and unfit players, added to which we have had injuries to key players. A bit of a perfect storm of circumstances.

A lot of the other sides already had well developed squads in place and didn't have the covid clause, which made it easier for them to add to what they already had.

I think IH is trying to say that we/they got it wrong without actually saying we got it wrong. Hopefully, we will now start to perform a bit better and climb the table, with some more experienced players on the horizon, strengthening us even more.

I agree. We are one of the worst-hit in this league - relatively good crowds and ticket revenues for this level and without a sugar daddy on the Board like Mansfield, the Veggies and Scunny, that means we've lost more income than those clubs because a higher proportion comes through the turnstiles...

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 49
Garth
November 26, 2020, 9:43am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.93
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,913
Gold Stars: 25
Quoted from Southwark Mariner

That's because they see themselves as blameless when results go wrong, its always someone/thing else's fault when the results and performances are crap.
JT is correct in asking the questions we would ask if we could
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 49
KingstonMariner
November 26, 2020, 10:26am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Southwark Mariner

I wonder if it’s the culture at Grimsby Town. You know this feeling that the media, especially BBC Radio Humberside, is the enemy and it’s OK to have a go at them.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 49
Mariner Ronnie
November 26, 2020, 12:13pm

Lower Findus
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.81
Rep Score: +45 / -6
Approval: +1,100
Gold Stars: 6
Quoted from oochiad
JTs constant negativity is what he’s on about. A little over the top but it’s got to him like it does with most managers. It’s true that if you hadn’t watched any of the games and only listened to JT you would never have thought a performance like last night was possible but in reality even after Saturday we all know that the team is capable of such performances. All about opinions of course and you have all decided he’s mad, fair enough but I don’t as JT has also got to me which is why I can’t be arsed to listen to him anymore. What a win! UTM!!!

Finally, someone with the balderdash to say it as it is. I like JT as a person don’t get me wrong, as a commentator it’s hard to fathom when we’ve scored, he’s more vocal when the other team is on the attack.

Today we got our team back - town fan leaving Wembley may 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 49
Posh Harry
November 27, 2020, 7:31am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -3
Approval: +4,327
Gold Stars: 34
Quoted from ginnywings

Damn you Ginny. Damn you and your well balanced, well thought out posts 😡😉
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 49
denni266
November 27, 2020, 7:38am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.82
Rep Score: +13 / -21
Approval: +636
Gold Stars: 129
TBF. JT askes questions that most fans want answers to , and if Ollie dont like it he should not do the interviews . I stoped listening to him ages ago , cannot be doing with his silly ramblings , its like standing out side Rampton .. Dont know if Ollie is going to be a good manager for us or not as he is used to having money to spend on players , its a whole new ball game trying to  turn young and inexperianced players in to league players that are good.. I like the thought of home grown players stepping up and younger players but it will not be an excuse for failure and get him off the hook when we are struggling . The managers job is to get a team that wins  end of.  We are not an experiment
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 49
Son of Cod
November 27, 2020, 11:07am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.94
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,323
Gold Stars: 196
Quoted from Garth

That's because they see themselves as blameless when results go wrong, its always someone/thing else's fault when the results and performances are crap.
JT is correct in asking the questions we would ask if we could

Pretty much every time we lose, Holloway takes responsibility.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 49
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 All Recommend Thread
Print

Grismby Town Forum - The Fishy GTFC Fishy Boards Archive › Olly after Crawley win

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.