9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Mayaman
November 24, 2020, 12:07pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.89
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +3,259
Gold Stars: 71
I'm gonna download Football Manager 2021 and get some practice in.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 81
TheRealJohnLewis
November 24, 2020, 12:10pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +13 / -8
Approval: +2,308
Gold Stars: 39
Quoted from diehardmariner
As much as I'd like GTFC to be fan owned, I don't think it's needed.   I don't really care who the majority shareholder in the club is or who owns what proportion of shares. I just want us to be run better.

What's needed more than anything is for the club to invest in a very good CEO.  We're not run well and that much is clear to see.  We need root and branch change to how we're run and it needs to be someone completely external who can come in and turn us around.

Might seem like a large investment at the time but I'd be confident it would more than repay itself quite quickly.  

I would love to see the club fan-owned but I agree that it doesn't need to be.  The way I see a CEO is that they are the figurehead, the voice and the decision-maker within a company. At present, JF does all of these, apart from his words come out of Day's mouth.

Change is needed but with all the apathy shown on all of these threads, nothing will.  Fans have all the power here, we can make a change, we just need a voice and a figurehead.   We need fan representation, that works for the fans and not for the club.

Private Message
Reply: 41 - 81
MuddyWaters
November 24, 2020, 1:21pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +31,883
Gold Stars: 230
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 81
KingstonMariner
November 24, 2020, 1:24pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Clearly Wimbledon is a great success story but as mad as it sounds didn’t starting at such a low level allow them to grow organically and at a pace that was right for them?

I don’t know the full story but it would be good to understand how they enabled their new ground as we could learn something from that regardless of our model.

I think it’s also worth noting that in terms of location, density of population and economies that part of Greater London is a very different place to NE Lincs and I suggest provides more opportunity to garner investment.

Though the principle is great the reality is that it’s two different scenarios. Finding the money to buy out JF and then under write and sustain a model that isn’t very successful in footballing terms but is relatively safe financially would in reality be a massive challenge if not impossible.

People would surely cough up their own £10s, £20s, £100s and we’ve raising 1000s is doable millions though is a completely different ball game.

The overall view is yes the club is under funded to meet our expectations, aspirations and hopes but let’s not lose sight of the fact we are covering the salaries of around 30 pros, could we have got through the first part of this season with more quality than quantity? Some of our current issues on the pitch are not solely the fault of those off it.

That population density and higher wealth also makes London a more expensive place to run a football club and buy/rent land to build a ground. Which is why they were in that position in the first place - their owner saw a chance to make a fast buck by selling the old Plough Lane ground for property development. There are also many other football clubs in the area and other activities and entertainments on offer than in NE Lincs, so it’s much easier for people to drift away from their club.

I’d say that where starting from scratch helped is in helping people realise it had to be done and it was on them. But look at how far they’ve come in little more than the time Fenty has been in charge. They had to do something or immediately lose their club.

Of course it’s two different scenarios, but it shows what can be done. I think the difference is just what you believe. I could look up the information and share it. But right now Im of the mindset that you can lead a horse to water but can’t make it drink. If you wanted to you could easily look into how Wimbledon raised the money at each key stage.

Judging by the reaction on here people simply don’t want to seriously look into the idea, or are quite happy to wait forever for a rich man to arrive and save the day, and blame others when it doesn’t happen.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 81
KingstonMariner
November 24, 2020, 1:31pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from marinerdazza
Fan owned clubs can work. I suspect however, that Wimbledon had a large pool of local expertise being a London club. One issue with us is that we're so spread out.

That is a fair point, but technology has improved massively since AFCW started. Distance is less of an obstacle and I bet there’s plenty of talented people not far away from GY.

We have crowds equal or better than a Wimbledon plus we have a large diaspora on top of that. That could be worked to our advantage. It’s a big resource to tap into.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 81
lew chaterleys lover
November 24, 2020, 2:01pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,545
Gold Stars: 231
Quoted from MuddyWaters

That is it exactly. Yet still there are far too many people who think John Fenty is good for GTFC. In reality, he just sucks the life of the club and has done almost since day one. If you could put together a video showing how not to run a community-based football club John Fenty would have the copyright on it.

I would love to know what rationale Ollie is using for his "well run" mantra. I suspect it is a smokescreen to put the club in a good light for the battles ahead, but I hope to high heaven we see the back of Fenty in the not too distant future.
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 81
Swansea_Mariner
November 24, 2020, 2:09pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,387
Gold Stars: 62
How on earth do they get to a figure like £3.5m???
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 81
Tommy
November 24, 2020, 2:55pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,859
Gold Stars: 76
Quoted from diehardmariner
As much as I'd like GTFC to be fan owned, I don't think it's needed.   I don't really care who the majority shareholder in the club is or who owns what proportion of shares. I just want us to be run better.

What's needed more than anything is for the club to invest in a very good CEO.  We're not run well and that much is clear to see.  We need root and branch change to how we're run and it needs to be someone completely external who can come in and turn us around.

Might seem like a large investment at the time but I'd be confident it would more than repay itself quite quickly.  

I don't disagree but JF is too much of a power/control freak to allow someone else that responsibility and authority while he is......lets face it....chairman in all but name.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 81
MuddyWaters
November 24, 2020, 3:09pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +31,883
Gold Stars: 230
Quoted from Swansea_Mariner

Purely a guess but I'm thinking shares (which aren't really worth anything in a football club), loans and debentures/guarantees. Oh, and the goodwill.....
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 81
Lincoln Mariner 56
November 24, 2020, 3:12pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,507
Gold Stars: 64
Quoted from Swansea_Mariner

I assume it’s the total of the club’s share capital, which I believe is over £2M, plus the outstanding Fenty loans of £1.5M. But I am no financial expert and those on the Fishy who study the clubs accounts will have a better idea.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 81
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Fan Owned Club

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.