Private Message
Rick12
November 23, 2020, 9:20am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
I think there's a definite link between heading and brain injury. Its the same with other sports eg boxing.

Jeff Astle was one that died of it directly caused by injury's by heading the ball to much.

All sporting organisations can do across the board is try to make things safer without putting profit at the forefront of things. A similar thing happened when  a journalist of the  boxing magazine the ring was in part fired for saying the same thing eg  brain damage and boxing and lack of safety were ignored for years.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 9
KingstonMariner
November 23, 2020, 9:42am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Interesting article. Obviously it’s not news but it’s interesting and sad to read Dave’s comments. Sounds like the PFA let them down.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 9
marinerdazza
November 23, 2020, 10:07am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.87
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +4,593
Gold Stars: 80
It's a compelling article.

I hadn't realised he played for so long. To me it feels odd thinking of Kevin Moore in the Premier League era and still playing for Fulham in the mid 90s?!!!! In hindsight, retiring after Southampton may have helped. Who knows. Very sad.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 9
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
November 23, 2020, 10:37am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
A very good interview and Dave expresses the situation exceedingly well.

Having said that, I still think the link between heading a football and dementia is too easy a spot. It seems obvious and we see players we have worshipped suffering but there has been no causal link proven even on the Shearer programme.

[url] https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/blog/football-heading-dementia-risk[/url]

What we have is a brain illness on one hand an a game where the head is used to hit a ball on the other. Seems clear but it isn’t. Lots of people suffer dementia who have never been near a football and lots of footballers live long healthy lives. Plus, there are different types of dementia. Kev Moore had Pick’s disease which is peculiar in affecting younger people. Was it there anyway? Was it aggravated or caused by heading? I don’t know and neither do people more learned than me in medicine.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 9
Henryscat
November 23, 2020, 11:50am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,395
I appreciate the article may have a Town bias because it’s with Dave about Kev but they list other players and we seem to have more than our fair share.

Panic on the streets of Carlisle, Dublin, Dundee, Humberside
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 9
Mandy Dunnit vs Hettie
November 23, 2020, 4:21pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +1,448
Gold Stars: 15
Never said this before about a Daily Mail article, but what a well written piece. Obviously I’m biased as it’s about one of our own, but a really good article.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 9
TownSNAFU5
November 23, 2020, 7:34pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,773
Gold Stars: 41
The numbers are relatively small for pro footballers (add Bobby Charlton to the list) to make clear links.  However, the anecdotal evidence is compelling though for these cases.

Centre backs (like Kevin) and centre forwards have predominantly been diagnosed as suffering from Dementia. Players who head the ball during each game.  If it was not a risk factor to repeatedly head the ball then why are not diminutive midfielders also been diagnosed in the same numbers?

The PFA have been heavily criticised for being selective as to whom they help.  No surprises there.  I thought Gordon Taylor was awaiting his successor to be appointed?  Following an investigation into him and how the PFA was run.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 9
HertsGTFC
November 23, 2020, 7:35pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.23
Rep Score: +29 / -8
Approval: +22,648
Gold Stars: 217
That’s actually brought a tear to my eye as it’s so sad to read. At the level we played at Kevin Moore was a prince of a footballer.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 9
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
November 23, 2020, 8:38pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from HertsGTFC
That’s actually brought a tear to my eye as it’s so sad to read. At the level we played at Kevin Moore was a prince of a footballer.

Completely agree Herts.
If we had made promotion that year we finished 5th and he was playing with Chris Nichol my guess is neither would have left Town at least for another season.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 9
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Kev Moore - interview with Dave

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.