5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
aldi_01
November 23, 2020, 6:18am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Shutes didn’t disappear, he agreed a price, he was willing to move forward and purchase the club but didn’t want to play the games the board were so he walked away.

I only know that as I worked alongside a couple of his business partners, purely by accident not so long ago.

This obsession lower league fans have with either players/managers living locally and owners being fans of the club isn’t always healthy either. Being a fan often means you lack the ability to be objective or think clearly, especially when times are hard. Surely, like any role, the right person for the job is the best approach and it’s clear now that Fenty is not that.

I’d imagine that he has exercised his power of disagreeing with a vote of suggestions several times. He’s assembled a board that is practically his chums, none of which seem to contribute in any way.

The simple fact is, when people say Fenty has to go, what they really mean is the board needs a reshuffle. They’re all as complicit in the allowing the club to stagnate, they’re all part of the problem.

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 43
ska face
November 23, 2020, 8:25am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,613
Gold Stars: 840
Quoted from mimma
mFenty himself has said that if there is an interested party, so long as they are genuine, he will step aside.

For what it’s worth, we have now been approached by (at least) two separate parties with a view to buying the club, and Fenty is still here. Not quite the actions of a man keen to gracefully step aside.

The first was a group of American investors, and Fenty wouldn’t step aside as they didn’t want fan representation on the board  - apparently. This was according to Marley at a fans’ forum or an AGM. I’m led to believe that this is the group who have taken over at Wycombe.

Then we had Grimsby-born Shutes fronting a group of wealthy, well-connected town fans who had a vision for the club as part of the whole community regeneration. After showing they had the cash to buy the club outright, suddenly they were expected to arbitrarily show how they’d fund the club for 3-years “in the event of a downturn”. Meanwhile, we are currently going through the worst downturn in the history of the club and the current board’s response has been “get the begging bowl out & let the fans fill it up again”. If only Shutes had thought of that!

And these are just the stories that the board have told us! Christ knows what the other parties’ version of events would be. These are not the actions of a man serious about leaving the club in any way, shape or form.

Call Fenty a fan all you like, it counts for nothing. I honestly don’t think our worst enemy could’ve done a better job in killing the club. We are stuck in a terminal decline, spent more than half a decade in non-league, are 20-odd years into a relocation project that is no further forward than it was on day one, have been left in the dust by all our neighbours and are becoming cut adrift from even League 1 which seems a million miles away now.

A fish rots from the head down.
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 43
MuddyWaters
November 23, 2020, 8:33am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,235
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from ska face

For what it’s worth, we have now been approached by (at least) two separate parties with a view to buying the club, and Fenty is still here. Not quite the actions of a man keen to gracefully step aside.

The first was a group of American investors, and Fenty wouldn’t step aside as they didn’t want fan representation on the board  - apparently. This was according to Marley at a fans’ forum or an AGM. I’m led to believe that this is the group who have taken over at Wycombe.

Then we had Grimsby-born Shutes fronting a group of wealthy, well-connected town fans who had a vision for the club as part of the whole community regeneration. After showing they had the cash to buy the club outright, suddenly they were expected to arbitrarily show how they’d fund the club for 3-years “in the event of a downturn”. Meanwhile, we are currently going through the worst downturn in the history of the club and the current board’s response has been “get the begging bowl out & let the fans fill it up again”. If only Shutes had thought of that!

And these are just the stories that the board have told us! Christ knows what the other parties’ version of events would be. These are not the actions of a man serious about leaving the club in any way, shape or form.

Call Fenty a fan all you like, it counts for nothing. I honestly don’t think our worst enemy could’ve done a better job in killing the club. We are stuck in a terminal decline, spent more than half a decade in non-league, are 20-odd years into a relocation project that is no further forward than it was on day one, have been left in the dust by all our neighbours and are becoming cut adrift from even League 1 which seems a million miles away now.

Echo all of that. And for those who say be careful what you wish for, a. it couldn’t be much worse and b. we won’t know unless we try.
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 43
diehardmariner
November 23, 2020, 9:17am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,528
Gold Stars: 536
At least we're slowly coming away from the train of thought that we need Fenty's money to keep us going.  

That's progress.

Maybe in another 20 years we'll feel confident enough that we could be fan run.  Here's hoping...
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 43
diehardmariner
November 23, 2020, 9:21am
Vodka Drinker
Just to add, I completely agree on any moves to get new owners/board in place.  That's with no malice towards John Fenty or anyone else involved in the running of the club, simply put we need to be run better.

But no-one in the board room can be held responsible for some of the shoddy performances that were dished out on Saturday or those that have come before.  That was just unacceptable all round.  As with Holloway, he's taking a lot of stick at the minute for various things.  In truth I think a lot of that criticism is fair, he's messed up on a few key things in the last 6 months, things you would expect better from an experienced manager.  But once those players cross that white line it's all down to them.
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 43
pen penfras
November 23, 2020, 9:38am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -129
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from ska face

The American buyers wanted us to be a feeder team to a Scottish team that they were also buying, which didn't happen. The trust also vetoed that move because they didn't want fans involved.

Shutes agreed to provide proof of funds and didn't. Like it or not, the board want the incoming party to be able to provide the cash if the club is unable to pay its debts, in the same way Fenty has previously done. The trust agree with this, and Shutes didn't do it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 43
friskneymariner
November 23, 2020, 9:43am

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,159
Gold Stars: 38
Trouble is too many people who post on here are suffering from Stockholm Syndrome.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 43
coddy60
November 23, 2020, 9:52am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +7 / -16
Approval: +652
Gold Stars: 13
Quoted from diehardmariner
Just to add, I completely agree on any moves to get new owners/board in place.  That's with no malice towards John Fenty or anyone else involved in the running of the club, simply put we need to be run better.

But no-one in the board room can be held responsible for some of the shoddy performances that were dished out on Saturday or those that have come before.  That was just unacceptable all round.  As with Holloway, he's taking a lot of stick at the minute for various things.  In truth I think a lot of that criticism is fair, he's messed up on a few key things in the last 6 months, things you would expect better from an experienced manager.  But once those players cross that white line it's all down to them.

The board are not responsible for the players performing on a Saturday, you're right. But they are accountable, for consistently failing in their job of not giving the manager the required funding to get in the tools required to do his job properly.
This will never cha.ge whilst the current incumbents are in place, who is going to take over and move is forward? copulated if you or i know...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 43
diehardmariner
November 23, 2020, 10:05am
Vodka Drinker
I agree.  It's becoming more and more evident that our prudent approach to this year was and is a major risk.  I hope it doesn't be one that comes back to bite us come the end of the season.  In no way am I defending any running of the club.

But regardless of how cheap we've gone, half-arsed performances from professionals is unacceptable at any level.
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 43
ska face
November 23, 2020, 10:18am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,613
Gold Stars: 840
Quoted from pen penfras

The American buyers wanted us to be a feeder team to a Scottish team that they were also buying, which didn't happen. The trust also vetoed that move because they didn't want fans involved.

Shutes agreed to provide proof of funds and didn't. Like it or not, the board want the incoming party to be able to provide the cash if the club is unable to pay its debts, in the same way Fenty has previously done. The trust agree with this, and Shutes didn't do it.

Like I said, one side of the story.
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 43
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › He's got to go

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.