Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Time to abolish The House Of Lords?
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 42 Guests

Time to abolish The House Of Lords?

This thread currently has 1,050 views. Print
2 Pages Prev 1 2 All Recommend Thread
KingstonMariner
November 14, 2020, 3:54pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218

I beg to differ. It is not for the Lords to say what is good or bad law. It is there to make sure laws passed by the elected house will work not to try and chuck them out on a political whim because the HoL happens to have a particular majority.. To scrutinise and ensure practicality is the role of the Lords..

The idea of previous reforms was to rid the Lords of such politicisation and appoint people who were acknowledged as primary in their particular field. That was the principle behind the Blair reforms in 1999. In fact for many years after 1911 this scrutiny was precisely what the old hereditary house was very good at. It was right and proper to rid it of the hereditary principle but successive governments have since thrown out the baby with the bathwater. Many of the “experts” appointed have been no more than axe grinders and/or.friends of the ruling party. It does not always do what it should or what was intended.

We could become unicameral and just do such scrutiny in theory by parliamentary committees of the HoC but these would necessarily be party political and would end up using outside experts ad hoc like Sage or something as daft as that. Also the HoL usefully allows non-controversial bills to be started and debated there for the benefit of of the public and save time in the HoC.

The HoL may indeed reject this bill but it should not do it to make people like John Major or Michael Howard happy. Reasons should not be on such political postures but on issues of fact and legality within the U.K.

The House of Lords is as you say is contemplative chamber. And a good thing too. The fact the ruling party can pack it is a bad thing as it weakens that function. It still has the right to reject bills and suggest amendments, even though the Commons can ultimately override it. There is no limit on the reasons it can reject a bill.

What ‘ploy’ is arch Leaver Michael Howard trying to pull then?

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 11
KingstonMariner
November 14, 2020, 3:57pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
PS it is exactly the role of the Lords to say what is bad law. That’s why we have Law Lords. They’re there to use their expertise to propose amendments.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 11
2 Pages Prev 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Time to abolish The House Of Lords?

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.