Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Time to abolish The House Of Lords?
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 48 Guests

Time to abolish The House Of Lords?

This thread currently has 1,049 views. Print
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
promotion plaice
November 10, 2020, 3:25pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +16,994
Gold Stars: 193

Is it time?

"The House of Lords has just signed its own death warrant – again. By voting down key clauses of the government’s Internal Market Bill, the Lords confirmed that it is an archaic excrescence which has no place in a 21st-century democracy."

https://www.spiked-online.com/2020/11/10/the-house-of-lords-has-signed-its-own-death-warrant-again/

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
GollyGTFC
November 10, 2020, 3:50pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,980
Gold Stars: 356
What a load of bullshido (the article, not your post). How on earth are the House of Lords trying to thwart Brexit? We've already left. How can anyone stop something that's already happened. It's impossible and to even suggest it shows the utter contempt they have for the people who lap that sort of rubbish up. But I suppose, it's all the right wing press have left. Falsely claiming that (insert person/country/EU) are trying to stop something that's already happened. And then blame them for the mess we'll be in on January 1st.

All they (the House of Lords) are trying to do is prevent the UK government breaking international law, thus saving (what we have left of) our reputation around the world.

It's not that it really matters now that Biden is President-elect. They (our so called government) are going to have to fall in line now.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 1 - 11
ska face
November 10, 2020, 4:12pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,538
Gold Stars: 833
lmao if you think this is the most egregious example of why the House of Lords should be abolished.

If you wanted the House of Lords abolished, you just missed the only chance you’ll ever get -

Tweet 999333669352460289 will appear here...
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 11
KingstonMariner
November 10, 2020, 5:19pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
I agree with the abolition of the Lords. And replace it with an elected senate. Something with legitimacy. Elected on a rolling basis or PR so it’s less likely to be subject to wild swings like we get with general elections.

But by rejecting bad legislation, it is doing its job!

Brexiteers should note that the Lords who voted against the bill include arch-Brexiteers like Michael Howard.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 11
aldi_01
November 10, 2020, 11:01pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Quoted from KingstonMariner
I agree with the abolition of the Lords. And replace it with an elected senate. Something with legitimacy. Elected on a rolling basis or PR so it’s less likely to be subject to wild swings like we get with general elections.

Brexiteers should note that the Lords who voted against the bill include arch-Brexiteers like Michael Howard.

Spoil sport...that’s not relevant...boo, we want out. Out out out.

Next they’ll be telling you Boris and his Eton elite represent Dave and Shaz that have lived in Grimsby all their life...

Seriously, the lords has needed wholesale changes for years but I think we all know the likelihood is slim...shame really as there’s a good alternative that’s already been discussed...

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 11
KingstonMariner
November 11, 2020, 1:07am
Meths Drinker
I thought that we wanted to bring control back to Parliament? You know, follow our historic laws and constitution.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 11
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
November 11, 2020, 11:59am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from KingstonMariner

I beg to differ. It is not for the Lords to say what is good or bad law. It is there to make sure laws passed by the elected house will work not to try and chuck them out on a political whim because the HoL happens to have a particular majority.. To scrutinise and ensure practicality is the role of the Lords..

The idea of previous reforms was to rid the Lords of such politicisation and appoint people who were acknowledged as primary in their particular field. That was the principle behind the Blair reforms in 1999. In fact for many years after 1911 this scrutiny was precisely what the old hereditary house was very good at. It was right and proper to rid it of the hereditary principle but successive governments have since thrown out the baby with the bathwater. Many of the “experts” appointed have been no more than axe grinders and/or.friends of the ruling party. It does not always do what it should or what was intended.

We could become unicameral and just do such scrutiny in theory by parliamentary committees of the HoC but these would necessarily be party political and would end up using outside experts ad hoc like Sage or something as daft as that. Also the HoL usefully allows non-controversial bills to be started and debated there for the benefit of of the public and save time in the HoC.

The HoL may indeed reject this bill but it should not do it to make people like John Major or Michael Howard happy. Reasons should not be on such political postures but on issues of fact and legality within the U.K.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 11
LH
November 11, 2020, 12:47pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,462
Gold Stars: 172

The HoL may indeed reject this bill but it should not do it to make people like John Major or Michael Howard happy. Reasons should not be on such political postures but on issues of fact and legality within the U.K.

So if parliament made genocide legal in the UK those who commit it here should not face punishment for breaking international law by outside agencies?
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 11
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
November 11, 2020, 3:22pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from LH

So if parliament made genocide legal in the UK those who commit it here should not face punishment for breaking international law by outside agencies?

That is a silly argument. There is no guarantee what the HoL would do. You also only have to think what would happen if there was no HoL and a new law took only a vote in the HoC.

The international law ploy is just  that, a ploy. I would have more time for them if they did some jumping up and down about international law as applied or not by Russia, China, Saudi and so on.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 11
KingstonMariner
November 14, 2020, 3:49pm
Meths Drinker

That is a silly argument. There is no guarantee what the HoL would do. You also only have to think what would happen if there was no HoL and a new law took only a vote in the HoC.

The international law ploy is just  that, a ploy. I would have more time for them if they did some jumping up and down about international law as applied or not by Russia, China, Saudi and so on.

They do. And their point is, our case against such countries is weakened because we’re reneging on a treaty entered into so recently.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 11
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Time to abolish The House Of Lords?

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.