Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Grismby Town Forum - The Fishy GTFC Fishy Boards Archive › Barrow (H) Match Thread
Users Browsing Forum
AdSense, Googlebot and 361 Guests

Barrow (H) Match Thread

This thread currently has 27,894 views. Print
18 Pages Prev ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 Next All Recommend Thread
aldi_01
November 4, 2020, 7:59am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.04
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Didn’t plenty of us say last year that Hanson wasn’t fit enough to play more than a handful, now it seems the same is happening again.

We may as well set up the team and said as if he’s not there, when he is perhaps he’ll have a cameo from the bench when we just need to lump it forward.

Last night wasn’t easy on the eye nor was it actually very good but much like Saturday, neither side were. We took our main chance and then Barrow huffed and puffed, the one off the post was fortunate but other than that, not a lot offered.

Chopping and changing again seems to affect our flow from one game to the next and a couple of those new lads don’t look up to much still but again, may be the constant chopping and changing isn’t helping them progress.

We’ve half a chance in the cup if we fancy it but I’m not sure we will because we’ve got games coming thick and fast (so has everyone but it seems to be one of our go to complaints) and clearly still have injury concerns.

Three points was much needed though and potentially keeps the wolf away from the door once more.

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 160 - 178
Sandford1981
November 4, 2020, 8:51am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +2,074
Gold Stars: 59
It amazes me how many ‘supporters’ moan when we lose , moan when we draw and then either disappear or seemingly, give begrudging credit when we win.

I’ve always found to a certain degree at this level that the performances of teams, when they win are not a million miles away from when they don’t. I therefore don’t get carried away when we win and certainly don’t when we have a trot of bad results.

“I know writers who use subtext and they’re all cowards.” –Garth Marenghi
Private Message
Reply: 161 - 178
Ipswin
November 4, 2020, 9:02am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.11
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
[quote=4013

We are a mid table team aren't we?[/quote]

I don't think we're that good but it's something to aim for I suppose

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 162 - 178
Poojah
November 4, 2020, 9:48am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.23
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,151
Gold Stars: 1,490
Quoted from horsforthmariner

We are a mid table team aren't we?

Quoted from Ipswin

I don't think we're that good but it's something to aim for I suppose

How you define 'mid-table' is debatable, but we're currently bottom of the middle third of the division - I'd be tempted to call that 'lower mid-table'. Personally, I think the way we've set-up the squad was always going to lend itself to a sluggish start - lots of changes, players slow to reach match fitness, manager slow to establish what his best eleven (or even best eighteen) looks like.

As the season wears on, and the relentless Saturday / Tuesday combinations begin to ease I think we'll improve. Not so much that we're going to trouble the play-offs, but enough to ensure we're never seriously entertaining relegation. Mid-table, I guess. And amidst the madness of the footballing and wider world right now, that'll do me for now.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 163 - 178
ska face
November 4, 2020, 10:18am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,364
Gold Stars: 824
Thought Williams was a class above when he came on. Great awareness, comfortable on the ball, loads of energy and got it moving so much quicker in the middle & final third. I’d like to see him in the forward 3, just behind Windsor and a.n.Other, and think he’ll be a big asset for us if he can keep fit.
Private Message
Reply: 164 - 178
pontoonlew
November 4, 2020, 10:25am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -15
Approval: +8,721
Gold Stars: 163
Quoted from ska face
Thought Williams was a class above when he came on. Great awareness, comfortable on the ball, loads of energy and got it moving so much quicker in the middle & final third. I’d like to see him in the forward 3, just behind Windsor and a.n.Other, and think he’ll be a big asset for us if he can keep fit.

Couldn’t understand it when JT and Croft said he couldn’t get into the game, I thought he was class.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 165 - 178
Croxton
November 4, 2020, 10:52am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.75
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +2,933
Gold Stars: 31
Quoted from ska face

I agree he had some good moments but, over longer passages of play, he can disappear from defensive duties. Taylor is more limited creatively but can win the ball. Bennet is surprisingly good in the air and can turn defence into attack swiftly but fades in the second half.  Lots of players with strengths balanced by weaknesses. Windsor is great battling around the opposition box but a liability in his own half.
Although more teams are trying to play ' the right way', a look at the highlights of other games week by week shows that teams who gamble with positive movement and good delivery into the box score more goals. The few set pieces we win are often a result of pressing, keeping onside and turning defenders. Hopefully, we can recapture the forward momentum of the Cheltenham game and force more mistakes from the opposition.
We have very few automatic picks in midfield and Williams can be key if others are on the same wavelength. Too often we ignored a simple pass and turned into trouble. Like Olly said, we made some crazy decisions at times.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 166 - 178
aldi_01
November 4, 2020, 10:58am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.04
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
I think the amount of free kicks we give away is a worry too, is it to do with other teams being quicker? Not fit enough? Lack of match sharpness?

Williams looked ok when he came on, I’m not sure about Taylor or Bennett but I guess it’s all about opinions.

We’re gonna have to get used to it though because there’s no indication to the chopping and changing will stop any time soon.

I guess if we pick up points in games like last nights then we’ll solidly finish mid table.

The teams in the bottom third though all seem much of a muchness.

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 167 - 178
lee65
November 4, 2020, 11:35am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +2,450
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from pontoonlew

Couldn’t understand it when JT and Croft said he couldn’t get into the game, I thought he was class.

Well it would help if JT didn't keep getting mixed up between Windsor and Williams during commentary  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 168 - 178
cardiffmariner
November 4, 2020, 11:37am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +1,293
Gold Stars: 23
Personally, I thought it was a half decent performance and I enjoyed the game.

I think some have forgotten how dire it was under Jolley. It took me to my lowest ebb with Town in 35+ years. The football was awful: negative, boring and lacking any sense of purpose. I for one could never work out Jolley’s footballing philosophy and the ‘style’ he wanted us to play.

Fast forward to Holloway and, whilst still very much a work in progress, it is clear what he wants Town to do as individuals and a team, and even when performances are poor I take heart from that and a degree of satisfaction that we are moving (slowly) in the right direction.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 169 - 178
18 Pages Prev ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Grismby Town Forum - The Fishy GTFC Fishy Boards Archive › Barrow (H) Match Thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.