Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › 10 games in, how have they done?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 133 Guests

10 games in, how have they done?

This thread currently has 4,598 views. Print
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
arryarryarry
October 28, 2020, 11:54pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,063
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from pen penfras

It is an asset, but I don't like that he's being used that way. Fair enough, last season he wasn't playing well and his flexibility was his biggest asset. But this season he has been our best midfielder and not having him in the middle has been our biggest loss along with Edwards.

I thought he had one of his best performances in a Town shirt when he played out wide at Leyton Orient.
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 37
dapperz fun pub
October 29, 2020, 8:15am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,865
Gold Stars: 82
Quoted from sam gy

Each to their own, but that's way off IMO. Think he's made 80 appearances for us now, and still only 22 so plenty of time to learn and develop yet - plus he's a Wales u21 international.

Agreed that he's been brilliant so far this season and his ability to slot in as cover for multiple positions is an asset too.

I’m a big Harry fan trust me I’ve seen his amazing work rate from being a small boy to a pro however if you think he’s breezing the pro game you’re wrong.  In fact like others have said the level is that low atm it’s almost not doing him any favours for his game to push on.  Out of them 80 appearances how many times has he took the game by the scruff of the neck ? I’d suggest hardly any if any and yeah I realise he’s played in multiple positions but he’s also had plenty of appearances in his preferred position
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 37
Sandford1981
October 29, 2020, 8:50am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +2,085
Gold Stars: 59
Quoted from dapperz fun pub

I’m a big Harry fan trust me I’ve seen his amazing work rate from being a small boy to a pro however if you think he’s breezing the pro game you’re wrong.  In fact like others have said the level is that low atm it’s almost not doing him any favours for his game to push on.  Out of them 80 appearances how many times has he took the game by the scruff of the neck ? I’d suggest hardly any if any and yeah I realise he’s played in multiple positions but he’s also had plenty of appearances in his preferred position

Out of interest, in those 80 games how many times have you seen a league 2 footballer ‘grab a game by the scruff of the neck’? much less a 20-22 year old player finding his feet in the game? Not many, if any I would suggest. It may not be the fairest of measures.
For me he’s undoubtedly suffered for his versatility and Let’s not forget he’s played in some bang average and poor sides with tactics to match.
I think town look a better side when’s he’s played in midfield and I think if you look at distance travelled you can see he’s progressing nicely.

“I know writers who use subtext and they’re all cowards.” –Garth Marenghi
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 37
Swansea_Mariner
October 29, 2020, 9:13am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,431
Gold Stars: 63
Don't forget he's been selected for Wales u21 by two different managers so there are plenty of professionals seeing something more than work rate in the lad.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 37
TownSNAFU5
October 29, 2020, 11:15am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,828
Gold Stars: 42
For the forwards to improve maybe at least one young striker could take an active role in trying to get the Government to improve child poverty?

I would accept the indirect results of 3 shots on target after coming on as a sub - never mind 3 goals.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 37
Henryscat
October 29, 2020, 12:05pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,395
I think the recent injuries to Edwards, Clifton and Tilley have hampered what will be the ultimate XI.

A bit more confidence up front and we’re actually not that bad - fringe of play offs if we can keep a fairly consistent side IMHO.

I know he gets a lot of stick (sometimes but not always justified) but I still think Green has More than a minor role to play. I say this more in an “on the bench” to change the shape point of view than a starter necessarily.

Panic on the streets of Carlisle, Dublin, Dundee, Humberside
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 37
pontoonlew
October 30, 2020, 8:51am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -15
Approval: +8,812
Gold Stars: 167
Re Clifton. Either he’s got 10x better or we’ve got 10x worse. It’d be absolutely naive to think Clifton had a good season last year. I really hope it’s the fact he’s got better otherwise we’re in huge trouble.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 37
pen penfras
October 30, 2020, 10:24am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -128
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from pontoonlew
Re Clifton. Either he’s got 10x better or we’ve got 10x worse. It’d be absolutely naive to think Clifton had a good season last year. I really hope it’s the fact he’s got better otherwise we’re in huge trouble.

Clifton has been massively improved. He's been taking the ball on the move and carrying it into his stride which gives momentum and allows others to run and make space for a pass, he wasn't doing that much before. He's also been passing much better and trying more creative balls. By no means does he have great vision or passing yet, but he will continue to improve that part of his game.

I previously thought he was only given the benefit of the doubt because he was local and young. He has now earnt his place in the starting team. And we haven't been awful this season either, just lacking a cutting edge.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 37
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › 10 games in, how have they done?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.