Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › 10 games in, how have they done?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 301 Guests

10 games in, how have they done?

This thread currently has 4,600 views. Print
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
sam gy
October 28, 2020, 2:34pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +18 / -3
Approval: +5,416
Gold Stars: 53
Quoted from dapperz fun pub
Big season for Clifton the fine line of Grimsby town to Grimsby boro was looming imo  

Each to their own, but that's way off IMO. Think he's made 80 appearances for us now, and still only 22 so plenty of time to learn and develop yet - plus he's a Wales u21 international.

Agreed that he's been brilliant so far this season and his ability to slot in as cover for multiple positions is an asset too.

[img]https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xla1/v/t1.0-9/12039761_10156639571185103_2884197968019429473_n.jpg?oh=184cac2706832a1b1dd4d6a0420a6f87&oe=574C5F4F[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 37
pen penfras
October 28, 2020, 3:18pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -128
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from sam gy

Each to their own, but that's way off IMO. Think he's made 80 appearances for us now, and still only 22 so plenty of time to learn and develop yet - plus he's a Wales u21 international.

Agreed that he's been brilliant so far this season and his ability to slot in as cover for multiple positions is an asset too.

It is an asset, but I don't like that he's being used that way. Fair enough, last season he wasn't playing well and his flexibility was his biggest asset. But this season he has been our best midfielder and not having him in the middle has been our biggest loss along with Edwards.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 37
moosey_club
October 28, 2020, 5:56pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,210
Gold Stars: 226
Clifton being the best midfielder.........

Now I do like Harry and I kind of see why people will be saying that....

But the fact he probably has been our best is an indictment on the rest i feel as opposed to Harry suddenly having a huge leap in his own levels.

His passing isnt great, his shooting isnt either, he harasses and chases , does a massive amount of work but I think he has to,  as without that he wouldn't be in the side at all if he relied on his other abilities. I dont think he has been brilliant this season by any stretch, just better than others alongside him.

Do we need him in there? Yes. Should we be comfortable with him being rated as the best ? No.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 37
fishcake63
October 28, 2020, 6:45pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,235
Gold Stars: 62
pollock clifton hendrie waterfall been our best / more consistent players so far think that say's it all really , what we need to do is find our best other 6 outfield players to go with them then stick ,intercourse all this 6/7 changes every game if players can't play twice a week get rid !!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 37
lee65
October 28, 2020, 7:28pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +2,480
Gold Stars: 10
Quoted from Heisenberg
As is ALWAYS the case with us, central midfield is not right. The opposition must have had a better midfield than us in probably 75% of games I’ve seen in the last 25 years.

In that time, who have we had who’s been regularly better than their opposite number? Maybe Groves, Burnett, Bolland, Disley, Nolan. Other than those, we’ve always had weaker players than the opposition. Admittedly I reckon Jamey Osborne was the best we’ve had since Nolan, but he was injury prone and hated Slade.

Of course I’ll have missed some here, but players like Berrett, Summerfield from the past, and now Taylor, Morton, Spokes etc either don’t seem ready or aren’t good enough. It seems the same every season.

Don’t forget Alan Pouton  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 37
Eastendmariner
October 28, 2020, 7:54pm
Mariners Trust Life Member
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +8 / -5
Approval: +940
Gold Stars: 22
well CONFUSED

Cheltenham win play well defend well, Orient Win, play well create chances defend well Bolton good point

The rest struggle to get a shot on target play like we are still on pilot

if anything deffo disappointed

Mariner Trust Life Member  

Seen the Mariners win AWAY at 70 league Grounds

Grounds Visited 281[img][/img]

Blundell Park a Training ground for bum ref's
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 37
denni266
October 28, 2020, 8:28pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +13 / -21
Approval: +700
Gold Stars: 132
I think that when we do find our best 11 it will be that even they are not realy good enough. Too many young and in experianced players to be consistant enough to do anything but tread water
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 37
louth_in_the_south
October 28, 2020, 8:39pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +24 / -12
Approval: +5,656
Gold Stars: 94
Quoted from denni266
I think that when we do find our best 11 it will be that even they are not realy good enough. Too many young and in experianced players to be consistant enough to do anything but tread water

And in a few months they’ll all be older and more experienced!! This is exactly why higher level clubs loan their players to clubs like us !!

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 37
Heisenberg
October 28, 2020, 10:47pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +4,954
Gold Stars: 93
Quoted from lee65

Don’t forget Alan Pouton  

Oh now you’ve got me there! That’s an appalling omission. Loved him, was a belter. Even that OG against Reading put not a single town fan off. I’d kill for him in our current team.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 37
Lincoln Mariner 56
October 28, 2020, 11:07pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,650
Gold Stars: 72
Quoted from denni266

Take your point but we could field the following team:

Macca, Hendrie, Waterfall, Moshni, Preston, Williams, Rose, Clifton, Scannell, Hanson, Bennett

Nothing inexperienced about that line up and if all fully fit you would hope, and expect, a decent points return from them. Not advocating this line up nor is it likely to happen but maybe we have more experienced players on our books then we realise. At the other end of the spectrum we have Edwards and Windsor who to date have been our best forwards but the “experienced” front three might be a handful if they are capable of delivering their best form in a town shirt.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 37
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › 10 games in, how have they done?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.