Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › 10 games in, how have they done?
Users Browsing Forum
AdSense, Googlebot and 331 Guests

10 games in, how have they done?

This thread currently has 4,560 views. Print
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
forza ivano
October 27, 2020, 9:59pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.47
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,140
Gold Stars: 265
I haven't seen any of the games, so I'd be interested to know how you rate the 28 (yes,28. ) players we've used so far

First choices

Should make he match day squad

Okay as cover

Not good enough

Not ready (age) or not fit enough
Logged Offline
Private Message
MuddyWaters
October 27, 2020, 10:03pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +31,883
Gold Stars: 230
Waterfall, Pollock, Hendrie, Clifton and Edwards are first choice picks. Idehen and Ohman have looked alright too. But as 6 out of those 7 are defenders then there’s no wonder we’ve tried umpteen attackers.
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 37
pontoonlew
October 27, 2020, 10:05pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -15
Approval: +8,721
Gold Stars: 163
Not much to say apart from every single striker bar Windsor are absolutely shite
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 37
HertsGTFC
October 27, 2020, 10:07pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.23
Rep Score: +29 / -8
Approval: +22,638
Gold Stars: 217
Quoted from forza ivano
I haven't seen any of the games, so I'd be interested to know how you rate the 28 (yes,28. ) players we've used so far

First choices

Should make he match day squad

Okay as cover

Not good enough

Not ready (age) or not fit enough

First choices
- Macca
- Pollock
- Waterfall
- Hendrie
- Preston
- Windsor

Not sure about any of the others at this stage and I’m beginning to think the Manager is unsure.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 37
moosey_club
October 27, 2020, 10:24pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,144
Gold Stars: 220
Scannell , Bennett , Rose , Mohsni ,......all the new senior players that we havnt really seen play yet. Hanson still looks a few weeks away from fitness/sharpness.  

Waterfall, Hendrie , Clifton same as they have been. Tilley looks on form at the moment and improved over last season but will wait to see how long his form lasts as previously he has been hit and miss.

Preston looks solid enough, had a couple of off games but overall decent enough.

Edwards bright lively unpredictable/ erratic

The rest of the newbies just dont seem to have the quality to make any significant impact from what i have seen.

Sisay, Jackson, Max Wright not had a sniff yet so cant tell. Would hope Wright could bring some much needed energy and forward drive that is badly lacking at the moment.

Various formations used , numerous positional changes, partnership changes none of which have helped us build any kind of pattern of play or understandings.

Certainly room for improvement but the Cheltenham game showed what is capable from this group.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 37
Heisenberg
October 27, 2020, 10:39pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +4,815
Gold Stars: 89
As is ALWAYS the case with us, central midfield is not right. The opposition must have had a better midfield than us in probably 75% of games I’ve seen in the last 25 years.

In that time, who have we had who’s been regularly better than their opposite number? Maybe Groves, Burnett, Bolland, Disley, Nolan. Other than those, we’ve always had weaker players than the opposition. Admittedly I reckon Jamey Osborne was the best we’ve had since Nolan, but he was injury prone and hated Slade.

Of course I’ll have missed some here, but players like Berrett, Summerfield from the past, and now Taylor, Morton, Spokes etc either don’t seem ready or aren’t good enough. It seems the same every season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 37
Swansea_Mariner
October 27, 2020, 11:04pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,387
Gold Stars: 62
I'd mostly agree with that I'd probably add Woodhouse and James Hunt to the tidy list but dew dew there's been some real terrible players play for us in the middle, at least since we dropped to league 2 and conference level anyhow
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 37
jamesgtfc
October 28, 2020, 12:59am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,813
Gold Stars: 187
Woodhouse could ping a ball and had a bit of bite but he had the industrious Bolland next to him.

Disley was the closest we had to Bolland who happens to be the closest we've had to Groves.

Hunt was tidy, kept things simple and reminded me of Coldicott in that he wasn't particularly endearing to the fans but always played when fit.

We desperately need someone like Groves or Bolland. Someone with an engine that can run up and down for 90 minutes, closing down, winning headers in the middle of the park, putting a tackle in and making late runs in to the box.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 37
pen penfras
October 28, 2020, 7:25am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -137
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from Heisenberg
Taylor, Morton, Spokes etc either don’t seem ready or aren’t good enough. It seems the same every season.

The problem with these 3 is that they haven't really been bad, we're just a lot weaker with them than Rose and Clifton. Rose can play football and Clifton's energy and drive gives us some movement through the middle. Those 3 happily drop deep, get the ball and then pass sideways. One of them along with a different type of player wouldn't be so bad, but 2 of them together gives absolutely nothing in the middle where we need a driving force to get the rest of the players on the move.

Strange to say that we really miss Clifton, but he looked to have finally kicked on in terms of his on the ball game this season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 37
Sandford1981
October 28, 2020, 7:40am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +2,074
Gold Stars: 59
I’m generalising here but Largely Young players are inconsistent by nature
The majority of League 2 standard players are inconsistent by ability.
Bringing in rough diamonds from lower reaches will take time to adjust.
Young players from above will need time to acclimatise to proper men’s football.
When you throw in these weird times too, Any expectation for us to have anything other than an up and down season seems fanciful to me.

“I know writers who use subtext and they’re all cowards.” –Garth Marenghi
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 37
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › 10 games in, how have they done?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.