ginnywings
October 26, 2020, 9:08pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from Rick12
The Beatles. I know there a long time ago and I am still relatively young but I think there legendary.

One of my favourite artists ever is John Lennon as well . I bought his greatest hits a while back and my god is he a genius. It was interesting to read that Liam Gallagher cites him as his main musical inspiration as well.

The Beatles were very nearly my first choice too.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 22
fishyfanny
October 26, 2020, 9:36pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.91
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +1,516
Gold Stars: 15
Quoted from ginnywings
Split Enz/Crowded House/Neil Finn.

Fantastically talented singer songwriter/musician.

Crowded House is a great choice. Me and Mrs Fishyfanny went to see them in Melbourne 2006. One of the best live bands I've ever seen.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 22
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
October 26, 2020, 9:47pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from Rick12
The Beatles. I know there a long time ago and I am still relatively young but I think there legendary.

One of my favourite artists ever is John Lennon as well . I bought his greatest hits a while back and my god is he a genius. It was interesting to read that Liam Gallagher cites him as his main musical inspiration as well.

Good on you!

Apart from a personal connection to my youth, I chose The Beatles because Les’s rule was one band for the rest of your life. Could be a long time to listen to the same thing over and over so I go for the Beatles because they offer so much variety. Less chance of a mental breakdown through boredom!😀

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 22
promotion plaice
October 26, 2020, 10:12pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +16,996
Gold Stars: 193

The Beatles and Abba would have been my other choices.

What would you have picked Les, you didn't say?

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 22
Rick12
October 26, 2020, 10:53pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from ginnywings

The Beatles were very nearly my first choice too.
You should have gone with them  

Good on you!

Apart from a personal connection to my youth, I chose The Beatles because Les’s rule was one band for the rest of your life. Could be a long time to listen to the same thing over and over so I go for the Beatles because they offer so much variety. Less chance of a mental breakdown through boredom!😀

I remember reading Paul McCartneys  biography not that long ago and it was interesting to know that he and John Lennon wrote most  of the Beatles music. Its a shame  that John had the issues with his mum and the whole drugs problem as his career progressed. I know it was all the scene back then eg drugs and has been in recent times with other notable/favourite group's of mine as well eg Oasis but I personally hate all that stuff.  

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 22
ginnywings
October 26, 2020, 11:14pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from fishyfanny

Crowded House is a great choice. Me and Mrs Fishyfanny went to see them in Melbourne 2006. One of the best live bands I've ever seen.

Aye, seen them several times and they never disappoint.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 22
ginnywings
October 26, 2020, 11:31pm

Recovering Alcoholic

Good on you!

That's what I was thinking too. They have so many great songs and to have to listen to one band for the rest of your life, you need one that has a great back catalogue. The Beatles were the soundtrack to my childhood as I was born in 59, so from the age of four, I would hear them on a daily basis being played on the old Dansette by my older brothers and sisters.

However, I chose Crowded House because they also have a great back catalogue and I think Neil Finn is one of the very few artists that can get near the Beatles for song writing quality; plus he is the soundtrack to my adolescence and adulthood, so feels more personal to me. His songs immediately take me to certain places in time, good and bad.

One of my favourites of his:

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 22
Les Brechin
October 27, 2020, 9:52am

Posts Per Day: 4.18
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,691
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from promotion plaice

The Beatles and Abba would have been my other choices.

What would you have picked Les, you didn't say?

I narrowed it down to 3, all different genres of music.

The Kinks, Depeche Mode or Carter USM.

In the end I decided on Carter USM as I could not live very long without hearing the lyrical genius that is Jim Bob.,

OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 22
aldi_01
October 27, 2020, 11:17am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
I narrowed it down to three;

Rolling Stones, oasis (including Noel and Liam) and the Jam (again a including style council and Weller).

I desperately wanted it to be The Smiths but overplaying would kill the buzz for me...

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 22
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
October 27, 2020, 7:55pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from Rick12
You should have gone with them  

I remember reading Paul McCartneys  biography not that long ago and it was interesting to know that he and John Lennon wrote most  of the Beatles music. Its a shame  that John had the issues with his mum and the whole drugs problem as his career progressed. I know it was all the scene back then eg drugs and has been in recent times with other notable/favourite group's of mine as well eg Oasis but I personally hate all that stuff.  

Lennon and McCartney started writing when they were very young. in fact some of their early tracks were written when Paul was 15/16 but not recorded until later. His father was a good pianist and he liked the old 1930s/40s party singalong tunes and you can still hear that in a lot of his songs later on. Lennon was good at poetry and weird lyrics, McCartney was better at catchy tunes and riffs.

then they had a gap while they were playing in Hamburg and Liverpool doing basically copies of unknown US tracks and rockers like Little Richard and Gene Vincent. They started writing again when Brian Epstein became manager and sold them to record producers as a unique group who wrote their own material.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 22
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › One band/artiste

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.