4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
mimma
October 25, 2020, 1:52pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,544
Gold Stars: 78
The Chelsea keeper did exactly the same thing as Macca did, tried to roll across his goal to a defender, caught it wrong and it ended up going backwards towards an empty goal. The only difference being that he managed to just miss the goal and it went behind for a corner.
Macca has been a goalkeeper all his career and has never had to play the ball like an outfield player, so he's not that good at it and will need a lot of coaching. The same sort of thing happened when keepers could no longer pick up a back passes, there were a lot of miss kicks. You hardly see it now (apart from Saturday).

Beckham once said that at Real Madrid before they went out they would play keeper uppie in the tunnel.  He said that the keeper was better at it than he was!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 30
moosey_club
October 25, 2020, 2:14pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,141
Gold Stars: 220
Quoted from Mayaman
I'm not sure why Waterfall passed back there.  I know we want to see the team play football and they were trying to play through defence butt it clearly wasn't working.  I think Luke should have belted it down the line.  

There was little option from midfield for the throw to go forward, virtually the same throughout the game wherever we had a throw, the taker had very limited options. We seem to be well drilled on playing from the back and the long diagonal switch of play but throw ins, free kicks and set pieces in general we look clueless.  Having said that the corner for the goal yesterday did look as though it had been worked as it was tried a couple of times during the game.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 30
pen penfras
October 25, 2020, 4:44pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -137
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from 123614

Likewise the 'hero' worship in reply to his post on twitter.  The fan bois should know that who they are saying is the best keeper in League 2 should check this link, https://fbref.com/en/comps/16/keepers/League-Two-Stats, he is 17th in League 2, not No 1.  As for the captaincy, he should be relieved of it, it is obviously affecting his concentration and an outfield player should be made Captain with immediate effect.

Of course he's not the best keeper in the league. It's a combination of the usual bi-polar nature of this forum after he's had a good game and the fact that most people on here only watch Grimsby Town and only notice what our players do. The reality is that every now and then he has a wobble that costs us goals in one form or another, then he has games where he makes fantastic saves that keep us in games. He's ok for this level and nothing else. That's why nobody has ever seriously tried to take him from a higher level.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 30
toontown
October 25, 2020, 4:55pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,159
Gold Stars: 69
Quoted from pen penfras

Of course he's not the best keeper in the league. It's a combination of the usual bi-polar nature of this forum after he's had a good game and the fact that most people on here only watch Grimsby Town and only notice what our players do. The reality is that every now and then he has a wobble that costs us goals in one form or another, then he has games where he makes fantastic saves that keep us in games. He's ok for this level and nothing else. That's why nobody has ever seriously tried to take him from a higher level.

Scottish prem club made a serious offer didn't they 2 years ago I think (or 1)  before he signed his current contract - whether you think that's a higher level tho is very debatable.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 30
toontown
October 25, 2020, 4:58pm
Whiskey Drinker
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,159
Gold Stars: 69
Oh and didn't Hurst offer us a measly 10k near deadline day when bogle was here and deano and wouldn't increase the offer? So nothing came of it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 30
pen penfras
October 25, 2020, 5:15pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -137
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from toontown
Oh and didn't Hurst offer us a measly 10k near deadline day when bogle was here and deano and wouldn't increase the offer? So nothing came of it.

That's the only half hearted attempt I can think of. I don't consider SPL a higher standard since they consistently sign national league players
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 30
Teestogreen
October 25, 2020, 7:31pm

Champagne Drinker
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: -113
Gold Stars: 20
My view - McKeown has proved that he is not reliable for playing football as an eleventh player.
So, either the management accept that and include a goalkeeper who can play out, or just play McKeown and instruct him to boot the ball up the pitch every time.
This all depends upon what Mc Keown is being told what to do and his l
limitations in being able to do it.

Blundell Park - The Home of Grimsby Town Football Club (still)  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 30
Teestogreen
October 25, 2020, 8:20pm

Champagne Drinker
Approval: -113
Gold Stars: 20
And when you remember how fantastic Henderson was at Carlisle not long ago
Hope he plays  for England and Manchester United on a regular basis

Blundell Park - The Home of Grimsby Town Football Club (still)  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 30
WayneBurnettsJockstrap
October 25, 2020, 8:47pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.77
Approval: +787
Gold Stars: 113
After Ollie's comments after the Carlisle game

“I made another load of changes, and it’s difficult to have any sort of rhythm and believe in yourself in a slightly different shape, so I might have to go back to what we know and what we’ve done previously."

Maybe within that statement, especially the last part, he is talking about maybe not playing out from the back anymore.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 30
moosey_club
October 25, 2020, 9:57pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,141
Gold Stars: 220
Rarely do I watch the whole of the Quest highlights programme but last night I watched the majority.....and throughout the divisions there were plenty of goals scored where teams failed in trying to play out from the back.
I am sure in this day and age there must be enough stats to be able prove/disprove the worth/risk but to me it doesnt seem worth it.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 30
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Nowt like extracting the urine

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.