grimps
October 25, 2020, 6:23am
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +5,092
Gold Stars: 46
We was discussing this in here two weeks ago about passing it across the goal and Macca playing it out from the back while under pressure .
We saw this coming
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 30
lew chaterleys lover
October 25, 2020, 8:54am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,653
Gold Stars: 234
Quoted from grimps
We was discussing this in here two weeks ago about passing it across the goal and Macca playing it out from the back while under pressure .
We saw this coming

He wasn't under much pressure though was he? A straightforward back pass to allow him to switch play to the other side. I know he is a league 2 keeper, I agree he should try to put it behind him and often humour does help, but it is not acceptable for a keeper to kick the ball into his own net like that is it?

He can be a great shot-stopper, but it is not enough in this day and age. Someone earlier suggested Waterfall should have "belted it down the line." Those days are long gone; the keeper has become an integral part of playing out from the back but Macca just hasn't got the skills to do it. I am sure Ollie is pondering on a temporary change in tactics to make sure it doesn't happen again but I am surprised he hasn't taken another keeper on loan.
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 30
WayneBurnettsJockstrap
October 25, 2020, 9:25am

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.77
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +827
Gold Stars: 117
the keeper has become an integral part of playing out from the back but Macca just hasn't got the skills to do it.

He is what I would class as a shotstopper rather than as a sweeper keeper which seems to be the way younger and up and coming keepers are being trained to do.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 30
Rodley Mariner
October 25, 2020, 10:21am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,239
Gold Stars: 176
I am not sure he is good enough with his feet for how Olly wants to play but people have to be realistic that great shot stoppers who command their box and are good with their feet aren't queueing up to join League 2 clubs.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 30
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
October 25, 2020, 11:07am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from Rodley Mariner
I am not sure he is good enough with his feet for how Olly wants to play but people have to be realistic that great shot stoppers who command their box and are good with their feet aren't queueing up to join League 2 clubs.

This is very true.Therefore make the most of what we have.  I think a manager of Ollie’s experience should show some nous now and tell Macca to play to his strengths and forget this playing out from the back with feet.

OK to have a laugh about this happening in an empty BP in October, nobody would be laughing if it was a play-off final in May with a full house (hopefully!) . Not the first time is it? So a serious matter that needs sorting now not later.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 30
Rodley Mariner
October 25, 2020, 11:44am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,239
Gold Stars: 176
I think it's a case of finding a balance. I'm sure most League 2 defences love lots of long clearances from the keeper and typically the defensive team will have a lot more players around that area to pick up second balls. I like that we're trying to retain the ball and play a bit. At times it's not on and they need to be pragmatic but ultimately it was just an individual error yesterday and I don't think particularly down to us trying to play out. He had loads of time to take a touch and move it and just copulated it up. We let in that goal against Forest Green on the first day of the season under Jolley - we weren't trying to play out then it was just a intercourse up.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 30
headingly_mariner
October 25, 2020, 12:19pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,320
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from Poojah

100%. Macca has been the club’s longest serving player since the original Macca. He’s the longest serving goalkeeper we’ve had since Nigel Batch (I think - before my time) and he’s played more games.

It’s easy to remember mistakes because they tend to be terminal for a ‘keeper, and it’s easy to forget the saves he’s made (like the one at Cheltenham 11 days ago) because that’s his job.

This afternoon’s mistake was horrendous, there’s no sugarcoating it. But he’s given so much to this club in his near 500 games and you have to accept that mistakes will happen at this level.

A bad week at the office, no doubt, but he remains a hero rather than a villain for me.

Absolutely, he’s dug us out of the excrement more times than he’s dropped us in it.
He’s a 4th division keeper so we are going to see mistakes.
There’s absolutely no need for the knicker wetting on here and elsewhere.
excrement like dropping him and stripping him of the captaincy 😂
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 30
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
October 25, 2020, 12:33pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from Rodley Mariner
I think it's a case of finding a balance. I'm sure most League 2 defences love lots of long clearances from the keeper and typically the defensive team will have a lot more players around that area to pick up second balls. I like that we're trying to retain the ball and play a bit. At times it's not on and they need to be pragmatic but ultimately it was just an individual error yesterday and I don't think particularly down to us trying to play out. He had loads of time to take a touch and move it and just copulated it up. We let in that goal against Forest Green on the first day of the season under Jolley - we weren't trying to play out then it was just a intercourse up.

Ah but the lad is simply not capable of controlling a football with his feet is he? There was really no pressure yesterday just a lack of ability and control so  in his case there is no sense in Macca thinking of mixing it up. Just do the simple and obvious. Get rid.

I agree it is nice to see us play out, it may also be true that a long belt downfield will surrender possession when there is no Hanson. But the indisputable fact is that picking up the ball and wellying it downfield yesterday was a lot less likely to have cost the side a goal and two points.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 30
October 25, 2020, 12:35pm
Guest User
Quoted from headingly_mariner

Absolutely, he’s dug us out of the excrement more times than he’s dropped us in it.
He’s a 4th division keeper so we are going to see mistakes.
There’s absolutely no need for the knicker wetting on here and elsewhere.
excrement like dropping him and stripping him of the captaincy 😂

Likewise the 'hero' worship in reply to his post on twitter.  The fan bois should know that who they are saying is the best keeper in League 2 should check this link, https://fbref.com/en/comps/16/keepers/League-Two-Stats, he is 17th in League 2, not No 1.  As for the captaincy, he should be relieved of it, it is obviously affecting his concentration and an outfield player should be made Captain with immediate effect.

Reply: 18 - 30
Henryscat
October 25, 2020, 12:44pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,395
Not because of yesterday but I’m not a fan of keepers being captain anyway.

Panic on the streets of Carlisle, Dublin, Dundee, Humberside
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 30
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Nowt like extracting the urine

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.