Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Carlisle (H) Match Thread
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 199 Guests

Carlisle (H) Match Thread

This thread currently has 25,001 views. Print
20 Pages Prev ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 Next All Recommend Thread
October 24, 2020, 6:43pm
Guest User
Quoted from Sussexmariner

Why we gave him a very generous 3 year deal I do not know.

(I know we all love GTFC and the area) but if you were an outsider looking in would you want to come to Grimsby to play football?
It's no secret that in the past we've struggled to attract footballers to NE Lincs
Players incoming and present want to work and improve under Holloway. More so than they would have wanted to under Jolley, Slade, Hurst, Bignot, Wilkinson... which we painfully saw on many occasions

Besides Macca wants to be here. He's not just a player but also a fan

Reply: 170 - 191
MuddyWaters
October 24, 2020, 6:48pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,235
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from 139881

Same applies to me. Can I play Tuesday?
Private Message
Reply: 171 - 191
Ipswin
October 24, 2020, 6:50pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from 139881

(I know we all love GTFC and the area) but if you were an outsider looking in would you want to come to Grimsby to play football?
It's no secret that in the past we've struggled to attract footballers to NE Lincs
Players incoming and present want to work and improve under Holloway. More so than they would have wanted to under Jolley, Slade, Hurst, Bignot, Wilkinson... which we painfully saw on many occasions

He also knows his selection is guaranteed (or thinks it is, if Holloway can really attract players because of his reputation he may wish to start looking at keepers)

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 172 - 191
October 24, 2020, 6:50pm
Guest User
We need to improve on today’s performance, sure we will though. Look forward to the Captain’s log in the next mariner. At least we’ll get £200 when the club send the video to you’ve been framed.
Reply: 173 - 191
Stadium
October 24, 2020, 7:29pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +1,924
Gold Stars: 19
Ian Holloway described Grimsby Town’s 1-1 draw with Carlisle United as “probably the worst game I’ve ever seen” as his side picked up their first point at home this season.

James McKeown’s mistake at the start of the second half ultimately proved decisive, with the Town skipper’s own goal meaning the points were shared after Mattie Pollock’s opener.

It was a game severely lacking in quality though, with neither side really threatening to go on and claim the win during the second half.

And Holloway admitted afterwards he may have to resist making as many changes to the Mariners going forward, having made another three adjustments from the defeat to Harrogate.
“I’m delighted with the point in the end, and that’s probably the worst game I’ve ever seen from both teams,” Holloway said.

“Certainly from my team. I’ve never seen so many mistakes, and I was waiting for the confidence to build.

“We did one thing right when we played a great move, took a risk, played it in, built down the left, got a corner and scored from it.

“That was what I wanted to see, then all of a sudden we’re giving it away, they’re blocking us and we stopped playing the right pass.

“I made another load of changes, and it’s difficult to have any sort of rhythm and believe in yourself in a slightly different shape, so I might have to go back to what we know and what we’ve done previously.

“I felt they lost a lot of belief in how good they are and where they should be passing, and we haven’t really got enough time to practice that well.

“I just praised them all and told them what I believe, what we’ve got to do and how difficult it is because we’ve just been so thrown together.”

On the own-goal, Holloway added: “I missed the goal, I was trying to find my cap and I went to the toilet, so I came out, and instead of what I said at half-time helping them, it goes even worse.

“But we showed some steel and metal mentally to keep going and not fold.

“Our throw-ins are garbage, they really are, so it’s not just Macca.

“Again, we’ve hardly got any time to do that. That’s about two or three weeks, on an afternoon in the sun in pre-season when you work on them.”

“There's nothing wrong with the car except that it's on fire.”- Murray Walker
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 174 - 191
golfer
October 24, 2020, 7:36pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,426
Gold Stars: 115
Is Hewitt still injured - he can take a throw in and free kicks and can't be any worse than the shite on display today.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 175 - 191
grimsby pete
October 24, 2020, 7:38pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,797
Gold Stars: 222
Macca should not be captain then he can concentrate on just his own game.

Maybe as captain his mind his elsewhere she he should be thinking about what he is doing himself.

Waterfall to made captain imo .

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 176 - 191
Kris2
October 24, 2020, 7:38pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,634
Gold Stars: 136
Ian Holloway said basically everything I wanted to say about the game. People will focus on the one clanger and say it lost us the game but we had the whole second half after that to find a winner against a team not playing all that great. Struggled to string two passes together or get a decent set piece except the one we scored from, struggled against another team of lumbering mammoths when we should have had the ability and pace to run rings around them.  
Private Message
Reply: 177 - 191
Croxton
October 24, 2020, 7:49pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.75
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +3,014
Gold Stars: 33
Macca might feel a tiny bit better if he watches L2 highlights tonight (well Tuesday on the coach perhaps). At least three other days to forget for some L2 keepers. More evidence too that overplaying at the back is risky. Good that it was Stevenage!
A little galling to see Jamille Matt having another stormer for Forest Green and Podge finishing a quality passing move for Newport. The only chance of points at Forest Green will be to play the channels, force errors, win corners and squeeze their midfield when they have the ball. Defending for 90 min won't work.
Might have been the right game for Scannell but it seems he has displeased Olly.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 178 - 191
lew chaterleys lover
October 24, 2020, 7:58pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,707
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from 139881

Why not Grimsby? We have this debate every few weeks, but would you rather play in a village (FGR) or a big city with all its associated problems (Bradford say) or perhaps the delights of Barrow stuck on the north west coast. Then we have our own Scunthorpe. Who could resist?

I have said before there are obviously only 22 other places for a league 2 standard player to play at; all of them have problems from location, history or lack of, too big or too small, on the way  up or on the way down, good manager or bad, and above all else, money.

Assuming we pay reasonable money to the players we want, we will always be able to attract good players. We always have, and we always will. If other clubs are paying more money then we will obviously struggle to get the best but it is not Grimsby itself that is the problem, at least no more or less than other places.
Private Message
Reply: 179 - 191
20 Pages Prev ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Carlisle (H) Match Thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.