Lincoln Mariner 56
October 20, 2020, 10:46pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,648
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from Sussexmariner
Bennett looked way out of his depth on that showing as did Spokes. Too many players for whatever reason had a poor game whether be it playing the wrong system, tiredness or just a very good Harrogate team just simply out played them.

Not many plus points from tonight but.....Gomis looks like he could cause problems in a front 3 but not stuck on the left. Waterfall is a quality defender at this level, play him every game, play our best 11 until any individual starts to get tired then rest him, these wholesale changes every game will only slow down any continuity will we get

Given where Bennett has played most of his professional career it’s a bit rich to say he’s out his depth in the bottom half of L2, not match fit or prepared would be a better description.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 68
Mariner_501
October 20, 2020, 10:49pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +14 / -8
Approval: +227
Gold Stars: 27
Fourth game this season I’ve seen. 3 losses and a draw where we didn’t have a shot on target.

Two games i have missed have both been wins. My fault.

Preston is class but this was his worst game for us.

Morton and Spokes were garbage.

Not sure what people saw in Gomis. Lost the ball every time he had it and never seemed to be in the right positions.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 68
Tinymariner
October 20, 2020, 11:12pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.74
Rep Score: +30 / -2
Approval: +1,456
Gold Stars: 12
Harrogate were horrible tonight, from their bench screaming and shouting at every challenge, verbally abusing Ollie, and their players falling over and screaming at every challenge but very willing to give it out.
I’m not excusing some very sloppy passing by our lads, including Hendrie, Morton and dare I criticise Clifton at times too, he really does go missing at times yet comes up with a great challenge to keep everyone off his back. Great to be there tonight, felt warming to be in the stands.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 68
Sussexmariner
October 21, 2020, 12:08am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +4 / -2
Approval: +618
Gold Stars: 18
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56

Given where Bennett has played most of his professional career it’s a bit rich to say he’s out his depth in the bottom half of L2, not match fit or prepared would be a better description.

Admittedly May be a bit strong to say out of his depth but...

No matter where you have played on a pitch as a player to give the ball away so often with constant poor passing and decision making is/was unacceptable. The fact he came on as sub and was then subbed himself said a lot

Are we any closer to getting promoted since Hurst has been here? No

Has he been given time to achieve promotion by the chairman and fans? Yes

Hurst out
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 68
lukeo
October 21, 2020, 6:52am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,321
Gold Stars: 140
Quoted from Swansea_Mariner
Harrogate were very good pressing all game. Frankly we didn't deserve anything.

I thought Tilley, Clifton,  Waterfall  and Pollock were excellent but apart from them we were very poor, Morton and Spokes especially so. I also thought it was Preston's weakest game so far, he didn't seem leggy  just overrun.

Ollie got the formation and the selection wrong, but and it's a big but, I think we do need to recognise that they are just further along than us, a well drilled, settled , established side.

I think we will get there.

I was about to post my views but you've got them spot on for me.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 68
aldi_01
October 21, 2020, 7:14am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
It was just excrement. Sometimes it happens I guess.

I understand rotation and whether we like it or not the fitness excuse is going to be trotted out all season but tonight I felt the changes to the team and system didn’t help us.

Did well to get straight back in to the game after a howler but we never really looked like winning the game. The substitute in the first half was forced but ended up being completely ineffective.

Clifton once again had a decent game, although being pushed all over because of the shape. Pollock did ok, Preston looks decent too.

It was a poor game from our perspective and we have to pick ourselves up and just get going again.

Whether Bennett is out of his depth will remain to be seen but he was very poor when he came on, which I’m sure he’d admit, hopefully he improves. Spokes wasn’t much better either and Gomis didn’t seem to do much.

Move on to Saturday and hopefully find a performance that’s half way there to last Tuesday and we’ll do alright.

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 68
Hagrid
October 21, 2020, 7:24am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,385
Gold Stars: 528
Inreally dont know why pollocks getting any praise here? Was very poor last night, turned inside out. Waterfall pick of a bad bunch for me. We move on, just one of them games
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 68
Davec
October 21, 2020, 8:26am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,440
Gold Stars: 42
I am surprised to see people think Gomis looked a threat and looked a handful as I disagree.

Yes he has some pace but he kept on giving the ball away when he had the ball (not alone in that) and his first touch was extremely heavy at times (again not alone)

Preston looked absolutely knackered, and desperately needs a rest but then who do you bring in with Hewitt still out injured and the only other left back we have is out on loan at Cleethorpes and is only 16.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 68
HertsGTFC
October 21, 2020, 8:36am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,876
Gold Stars: 227
Quoted from Swansea_Mariner
Harrogate were very good pressing all game. Frankly we didn't deserve anything.

I thought Tilley, Clifton,  Waterfall  and Pollock were excellent but apart from them we were very poor, Morton and Spokes especially so. I also thought it was Preston's weakest game so far, he didn't seem leggy  just overrun.

Ollie got the formation and the selection wrong, but and it's a big but, I think we do need to recognise that they are just further along than us, a well drilled, settled , established side.

I think we will get there.

Completely this, but I'd add that Macca probably should have let that ball run out for the first goal and turning our free kick into their 2nd goal was poor.

I think we have enough in the squad to be half decent at this level.      

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 68
KingstonMariner
October 21, 2020, 9:04am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Completely this, but I'd add that Macca probably should have let that ball run out for the first goal and turning our free kick into their 2nd goal was poor.

I think we have enough in the squad to be half decent at this level.      

I think you’re right. We’ll be half decent. And half bad. Maybe it’ll settle down in a month or two and we’ll be able to develop a consistent squad.

Apart from the goal I didn’t think Tilley was all that. He holds onto the ball too long too often. He’s a good player but it seems as if there’s too much ego in there for him to pass the ball quick enough.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 68
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.