Stadium
October 10, 2020, 6:15pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +1,927
Gold Stars: 19
Quoted from grimps

I quite enjoyed the second half , goes to show how people can see a game different .
Maybe I’m just easily pleased after the last game

Fair point.

“There's nothing wrong with the car except that it's on fire.”- Murray Walker
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 110 - 130
horsforthmariner
October 10, 2020, 6:18pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +2,596
Gold Stars: 9
Defensively we were good.  Too many sloppy passes. The subs improved us. Scannell is better than the other midfielders we’ve got.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 111 - 130
arryarryarry
October 10, 2020, 6:32pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from moosey_club

with zero service............not a single ball slipped through to him, not a single cross from out wide for him to attack .....thought him and Windsor at least looked like linking up/ looking for each other early on when they looked more like a front two , after that Green became isolated, fed high looping balls with a huge centre half on his back and eventually resigned himself to go looking for the ball in wider / deeper areas.

I disagree quite a few balls played up to them when we looked on top in the first half but his control was poor as well as his passing.
Private Message
Reply: 112 - 130
TAGG
October 10, 2020, 7:05pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,957
Gold Stars: 124
Quoted from Stadium
Poor game all round.
Forget & move on.

I enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would especially the second half

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 113 - 130
October 10, 2020, 7:20pm
Guest User
I just don’t get all the negativity.  Bolton are a huge club, we went into the game on the back of two defeats and another two weeks of virtually no training.

I’m happy with a point and would have been equally happy irrespective of the start to the season.
Reply: 114 - 130
Stadium
October 10, 2020, 7:21pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +1,927
Gold Stars: 19
One of the best results of IH's career.

Ian Holloway described Grimsby Town’s goalless draw at Bolton as ‘one of the most fantastic points’ of his career as his side finally got off the mark in League Two.

The Mariners earned their first point of the season after a game of few chances at the University of Bolton Stadium.

The visitors did have their chances to walk away with all three, although indecision at opportune moments cost them dearly.

Nevertheless, having trained for just three days after being in self-isolation, Town can be more than happy with their efforts in earning their first point of the campaign.

“I think that’s one of the most fantastic points my team has ever got for me,” Holloway said.

“Coming to a wonderful place like this after being asked to stay at home, what can I say?

“I’ve got a new group, three of them came this week while we were in lockdown, I didn’t even meet them. It’s just so surreal.

“I didn’t know how best we could play, who was fit, I had to run them on Thursday, I couldn’t run them on Wednesday, but luckily for me we were locked down the right day so we could prepare for three days, instead of poor old Leyton Orient who could only prepare for two hours last Saturday!

“I am so proud of them. In the end, we could have nicked it.

“Just at half-time, I thought our legs were coming off, but I had to change the shape and get five across midfield because they were stretching us wide.

“I’ve seen a few games in my life, made a few bad decisions, some good ones, and luckily that change helped us, and we almost nicked it at the end.”

Holloway also bemoaned his side’s hectic schedule, with the Mariners set to be back on the road on Tuesday in their rearranged game at Cheltenham, before travelling again next Saturday to Leyton Orient.

“Now we’ve also got to play this Tuesday away to Cheltenham, and then on Saturday away to Leyton Orient, and I worry that this wonderful competition, for all our wonderful supporters who aren’t allowed in a beautiful ground like this. Why can’t we get people in a ground as beautiful as this?

“Home supporters only, I’ve got no problem with that, because the atmosphere is awful.

“I’m very, very worried about football, but as a performance, that’s as good as I’ve ever had. Maybe as good as my first three points away to Mansfield last season when we went down to 10 men really early in the game.”

“There's nothing wrong with the car except that it's on fire.”- Murray Walker
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 115 - 130
Pontooner
October 10, 2020, 7:34pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +186
First time posting for a while.

Watched on follow today and found quality of that pretty good.

Home commentators were clearly expecting a home win (ha), yet despite quite a bit of pressure, I don't recall McKeown being seriously troubled all game. So a really solid performance from Town, in difficult circumstances.

Good to see Hendrie back in there and the back four overall looked solid.

Some good bits of play in midfield, but we really need Hanson up top give us some presence / goal threat.

UTM.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 116 - 130
Masirah Mariner
October 10, 2020, 8:37pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +62
Much more of a collective performance today and a great point gained. I don’t think many were optimistic about our chances beforehand. Our back four had good games, Preston did spurn a good opportunity but that will come with experience.

Harry and Rose covered a lot of ground today. I recall Harry crossing from the right byline one minute then making a block at our byline about 30 seconds later. Rose just edges MoM for me.

Williams and Taylor had better games but still hoping there’s more to come from them. The arrival of Bennett will help. Green put in a faint less shift against some very big centre backs. Don’t think he see the sun all afternoon. Windsor played well considering he’s still remembering names.

Subs made a decent impact. Only thing I would have done differently - I’d have included Mohsni up top for the last 20, just to see if we could get the ball to stick and stretch them with Edwards and Scannell.

Happy with a clean sheet and a point to get us off the mark. Hanson hasn’t had any football for a while so whilst I know he will bring a different dynamic to our attack, he might need a few weeks just like the rest of the lads.

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 117 - 130
marinerjase
October 11, 2020, 8:37am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +31 / -1
Approval: +2,639
Gold Stars: 147
Pleasantly surprised by the opening 10 minutes - were well on top, looking to play to feet through midfield. Bolton got into the game after that , their guy who was up against Preston the main threat. Only danger was the free kick that went just past the post with McKeown rooted to the spot. Saw out first half well - despite giving possession away/poor clearances at times.

Tactical change second half helped, grew into the game again as it went on - no dangers - finished on top- draw a fair result. Expected more from them - they took their main threat off, Santos looks a decent centre back- but overall disappointing. For us - hard to judge given the circs - best and tidy in some areas- Rose,Taylor for eg - though def looked ‘leggy’ all over and the lack of physicality and pace is a concern for me - on an off day can see us getting exploited/hurt in that area. Thought Clifton had a very good game, worked hard. Preston did ok against their threat out wide, the two centre backs did ok- again an area in which on a given day against a diff style we could suffer. Fair play to Windsor - never stopped, despite being isolated at times/chasing shadows - good attitude, will fit in well when Hanson returns. Green worked hard but might be the guy who comes off the bench last 10/15 rather than start.

Overall it was a good, unexpected point. Yes plenty of ways to improve in time - but couldn’t fault or question the effort and application by everyone.

‘I just f*cking threw myself at it’

Mani D 23 May 2022
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 118 - 130
Ipswin
October 11, 2020, 11:22am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from Stadium
One of the best results of IH's career.

Ian Holloway described Grimsby Town’s goalless draw at Bolton as ‘one of the most fantastic points’ of his career

“I think that’s one of the most fantastic points my team has ever got for me,” Holloway said.

as a performance, that’s as good as I’ve ever had. ”

Obviously easily satisfied, lets hope he's going to set higher targets than that

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 119 - 130
14 Pages Prev ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Match Thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.