This thread currently has 3,972 views. Print
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
promotion plaice
September 16, 2020, 9:56pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +16,996
Gold Stars: 193

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
KingstonMariner
September 16, 2020, 10:09pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Another decent statement by PD.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 22
mimma
September 17, 2020, 12:25am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,567
Gold Stars: 78
Given two and a half hours notice to apply??? What planet are they on FFS, no chance to organise it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 22
Northbank Mariner
September 17, 2020, 6:39am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.76
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,443
Gold Stars: 171
It's a good statement but there's no way they shouldn't have been ready by now. It's 2 1/2 weeks to the 2nd October, if I'm having to enter a storage tank that contains some pretty hazardous materials then the entry, permit to work, isolations, staffing etc are planned 6 months in advance and these will all be in place and reviewed circa 6 weeks prior to the work going ahead and the reviewed on a weekly basis to ensure all controls are still valid just in case there's been a change in circumstances. Just saying they've had this date in their heads for at least 2-3 months now, sorry, but there's a level of incompetence on someone's part here.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 22
pen penfras
September 17, 2020, 7:57am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -128
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from Northbank Mariner
It's a good statement but there's no way they shouldn't have been ready by now. It's 2 1/2 weeks to the 2nd October, if I'm having to enter a storage tank that contains some pretty hazardous materials then the entry, permit to work, isolations, staffing etc are planned 6 months in advance and these will all be in place and reviewed circa 6 weeks prior to the work going ahead and the reviewed on a weekly basis to ensure all controls are still valid just in case there's been a change in circumstances. Just saying they've had this date in their heads for at least 2-3 months now, sorry, but there's a level of incompetence on someone's part here.

What a load of balderdash. This isn't remotely comparable to that situation. The club have been working to a deadline that they were given no notice that it might change. They have a meeting with the SAG on Friday, that's way in advance of the scheduled date so they can act on anything that needs to change.

I suppose they could have hired a load more people at extra cost to suck up more precious money in the hope that it got brought forward, but there's been no rhetoric suggesting that might happen and I was very surprised to see that news the other day
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 22
Northbank Mariner
September 17, 2020, 8:05am
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from pen penfras

What a load of balderdash. This isn't remotely comparable to that situation. The club have been working to a deadline that they were given no notice that it might change. They have a meeting with the SAG on Friday, that's way in advance of the scheduled date so they can act on anything that needs to change.

I suppose they could have hired a load more people at extra cost to suck up more precious money in the hope that it got brought forward, but there's been no rhetoric suggesting that might happen and I was very surprised to see that news the other day

It's called planning and scheduling, it takes one person to do it!..so yes, it is comparable before you start shouting expletives you f@ckibg twit!!..sorry if that hurts your agenda to protect the board at every level but this time they could have been ahead of the curve.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 22
KingstonMariner
September 17, 2020, 8:33am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218

To use your comparison, it’s like having the worked planned and then being asked at 2 1/2 hours notice to bring it forward two weeks.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 22
Northbank Mariner
September 17, 2020, 8:43am
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from KingstonMariner

To use your comparison, it’s like having the worked planned and then being asked at 2 1/2 hours notice to bring it forward two weeks.

And we'd be in a position to do that, in fact we'd be in a position to bring it forward at anytime 4 weeks prior to the drop dead date. People can red cross and argue the point but I'll stand by my view that the club have had plenty of time to organise this, they knew the protocols and so would the SAG, how come all those that are having their 1000 fans attend this week are doing so?. They planned and we're ready to go as soon as the government and the EFL gave the go ahead?..Forward thinking/planning that's how, something we know historically the GTFC board have no comprehension of.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 22
friskneymariner
September 17, 2020, 8:58am

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,157
Gold Stars: 38
Called contingency planning.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 22
denni266
September 17, 2020, 9:23am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +13 / -21
Approval: +700
Gold Stars: 132
I think its fair to mention that with only 1000 fans in the ground and they will be season ticket holders i guess , That the club will gain nothing out of it and will lose out as there will be all the same running cost of putting a game on and it would be like throwing cash down the drain , Cash we cannot afford to throw away .We need more fans in than that so some cash can be made if only to cover what we would lose
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 22
chipsandgravy
September 17, 2020, 10:25am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +3,586
Gold Stars: 35

And we'd be in a position to do that, in fact we'd be in a position to bring it forward at anytime 4 weeks prior to the drop dead date. People can red cross and argue the point but I'll stand by my view that the club have had plenty of time to organise this, they knew the protocols and so would the SAG, how come all those that are having their 1000 fans attend this week are doing so?. They planned and we're ready to go as soon as the government and the EFL gave the go ahead?..Forward thinking/planning that's how, something we know historically the GTFC board have no comprehension of.

I would give up your argument as it falls under the "any excuse to beat the club by". Another club has had to withdraw from the scheme as they went too early and deemed ready. Unfortunately the SAG didn't agree. Pleased we are not in that boat.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 22
Sigone
September 17, 2020, 10:33am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +12 / -4
Approval: +1,615
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from chipsandgravy

I would give up your argument as it falls under the "any excuse to beat the club by". Another club has had to withdraw from the scheme as they went too early and deemed ready. Unfortunately the SAG didn't agree. Pleased we are not in that boat.

https://www.skysports.com/foot.....fl-crowd-pilot-plans
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 22
scrumble
September 17, 2020, 11:26am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +12 / -2
Approval: +983
Gold Stars: 10
There are only eight games across the three divisions with fans allowed in. Rather than this being a singular failing at Town, it strikes me as the majority of clubs want to make sure this is done safely and not rushed. Had the club actually opened its gates I'm sure we'd have seen similar posts claiming that the club should have waited and they don't give a damn about the fans safety

Byddwn ond yn canu pan fyddwn yn pysgota
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 22
rancido
September 17, 2020, 1:03pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,531
Gold Stars: 96

6 months ago the season stopped prematurely with no knowledge of when the season would start.  With most of the staff furloughed it would have been impossible for any structured planning as to how the season would resume ,especially seeing as there wasn't a definite date , just a guide. With your analogy there would have been a full compliment of planners working on that project ,with a specific start date and a highly unlikely chance that that date would have been brought forward. Like another poster said ,I think you are using this as just another excuse to hit at the club.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 22
realist
September 17, 2020, 2:31pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +5 / -18
Approval: -2,689
Gold Stars: 41
In some ways I sympathise with the position the club was put in, then get a bit brassed off because other clubs can do it.
Then you look at the poor fitness levels at the first game which is blamed on covid but other teams manage to turn out reasonably fit players.

This club is run on excuses because it is reactive to everything.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 22
Northbank Mariner
September 17, 2020, 2:37pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from realist
In some ways I sympathise with the position the club was put in, then get a bit brassed off because other clubs can do it.
Then you look at the poor fitness levels at the first game which is blamed on covid but other teams manage to turn out reasonably fit players.

This club is run on excuses because it is reactive to everything.

Think we're in the minority with this I'm afraid. Can't say anything negative against the club, we're not allowed by the sounds of it and yet I've been one of the most ardent supporters  over many years
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 22
rancido
September 17, 2020, 4:24pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,531
Gold Stars: 96

Think we're in the minority with this I'm afraid. Can't say anything negative against the club, we're not allowed by the sounds of it and yet I've been one of the most ardent supporters  over many years

That is absolute crap! I will criticise the club when they deserve it but in this instance they will don't deserve it.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 22
aldi_01
September 18, 2020, 6:16am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Bash or not bash the club...either way, is anybody surprised we’re not ready?

As stated earlier, excise after excuse and entirely reactive...that is a fact.

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 22
The Yard Dog
September 18, 2020, 8:10am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +14 / -2
Approval: +3,469
Gold Stars: 74

The parameters you have tried to comapre one is a fixed date and all the information required to meet the deadline, were as the other has no fixed date and the information required keeps changing quickly.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 22
The Yard Dog
September 18, 2020, 9:45am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +14 / -2
Approval: +3,469
Gold Stars: 74

They are those clubs who want to gamble, its not just about football, but lives, this is not the time to gamble, but to be sensible.
To rush 1000 fans in with 2 and a half hour notice, would be irresponsible.

The club have been working to a later date, if the club are not ready for that, thats the time to criticise, not now.
It must be a nightmare trying to get things in place, so that us fans can return to Blundell Park safely.

Yes they are clubs that are willing to gamble, signing players early, selling seasons before we know when the season will start and how many people will be allowed to attend.

So for example town sold 3000 season tickets for this season and based their budget on that number, then the Goverment says only 1,500-2,000 can attend. So a  least a third of our income has been lost, but we have already signed players based on 3,000 season ticket sales, the players still have to be paid. Then the club has the headache of who gets a season ticket, how is that resolved? by ballot, some fans are going to be upset on missing out, then they is the issue of refunding for those who have missed out. They have to be contacted, do you want a refund, then the process of refunding. This takes time,energy and costs and is counter productive.

The club are planning, not just for this season, but for the future of the club, we are the 15th oldest club in England, this season is about surviving, not gambling.

Which one do you want Town to be the hare or the tortoise.

UTMM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 22
mimma
September 18, 2020, 12:24pm
Brandy Drinker
Just remember that the police need two weeks notice for cup replays, and they would have had to be consulted before we make any arrangements.

The EFL giving us a couple of hours notice just shows how out of touch with the real world they are.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 22
forza ivano
September 18, 2020, 3:23pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,128
Gold Stars: 265
Quoted from mimma
Just remember that the police need two weeks notice for cup replays, and they would have had to be consulted before we make any arrangements.

The EFL giving us a couple of hours notice just shows how out of touch with the real world they are.

Please stop posting reasonable stuff like this, when we all know it's Fentys fault/ club incompetence
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 22
mimma
September 18, 2020, 8:05pm
Brandy Drinker
Sorry about that Forza, I keep forgetting.

That's the problem of having a mind of your own.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 22
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Chairman's Statement - Pilot Games

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.