Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Users Browsing Forum
Maringer and 12 Guests

Film Club

This thread currently has 20,564 views. Print
45 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
codcheeky
September 10, 2020, 2:47pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +1,251
Gold Stars: 31
Quoted from Rick12
Thing is Codcheeky Jesus was a historical figure that most serious historians agree existed.Whether he rose from the dead after 3 days is a question of faith but Ive seen first hand how it can heal people that have come from tough criminal backgrounds and turned their lives around for the better.Hence one lad I knew who was a tough Irish gypsy who was forever getting into fights in pubs,engaged in other criminal activity  been in prison etc said that no psychotherapist healed him.All were  rubbish in his view.The only one that healed him was faith in Jesus and a great Catholic priest which I also had the privilege of meeting.Again there are similar stories from countless others.

As for Jesus my view on him is he was a radical Jew that tried to do something good in the society he lived in at the time.As for his death and resurrection  thats a question of faith .I believe at the time some disciples may have truly felt they experienced visions of his resurrection whilst others may have experienced his resurrection as a thought of spiritual feeling which was embellished by later man .Hence felt his presence.I tend to side the with the latter.

All what the Catholic church stands for is a direct link back to Jesus apostles.I admit throughout history the church has done bad but this is mans will not that of Jesus which Pope Francis has alluded to.Hence he acknowledges things have to be  improved .Overall though I think the church has done more good than bad though.

Pretty much nonsense in my view, I knew a someone I went to school with was always in trouble and in and of Jail, into drugs and alcohol, he changed his life around without religion so makes a bit of a mockery of your example but each to their own.
That Someone called Jesus existed is pretty moot, that he came from a virgin birth, happened to be born to fit in with pagan Yule feast  and die at the pagan Oestre festival is very convenient.
You have the same god and prophets as the Jews and Muslims and pretty much had the same patriarchal organisation(are there any women priests) but as many are Buddhist or Hindu, is your god blind to half the world population?
The church has a history of burning heretics and encouraging the burning of pagans, starting wars and crusades, was missionaries in Africa and Australia etc destroying much older beliefs doing good ? Do you have the moral right as a Christian to say everyone else is wrong
Do you believe in Angels and dragons?Evolution?
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 447
Rick12
September 10, 2020, 3:33pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from codcheeky

Pretty much nonsense in my view, I knew a someone I went to school with was always in trouble and in and of Jail, into drugs and alcohol, he changed his life around without religion so makes a bit of a mockery of your example but each to their own.
Thats him though.On top of the tough gypsy lad I knew  Ive heard accounts of plenty of others though directly  where religion has worked for them including football hooligans and indirectly through people I knew that were brothers with hardcore criminals .Likewise Ive seen plenty of documentary's where gang members  in the UK and abroad are being helped by faith in Jesus.  

Quoted from codcheeky

You have the same god and prophets as the Jews and Muslims and pretty much had the same patriarchal organisation(are there any women priests) but as many are Buddhist or Hindu, is your god blind to half the world population?
For me something divine did create the universe and Christianity makes the most sense out of all religions. Hence religion for me is mans attempt to understand how the universe started. Hinduism is the oldest known religion as you maybe aware  and again this in my view is ancient mans attempt to understand  the divine. Buddhism is an interesting one as they dont  believe in a supernatural deity but karma .As for Islam that in my view is one mans attempt to understand God through his own consciousness eg prophet Muhammad which we all can do.

As for women priests I think there is none because Jesus 12 original disciples were all men and the church wanted to carry on that tradition.

Quoted from codcheeky

The church has a history of burning heretics and encouraging the burning of pagans, starting wars and crusades, was missionaries in Africa and Australia etc destroying much older beliefs doing good ?
Yes and this is where Christianity was wrong as loosely noted before especially from the Catholic view but you need to look at the positives as well. Iam no expert but I know the Catholic church  has done a lot of good throughout history in medical care and continues to be a  large non-government provider of health care services in the world:

Using “the strategy of non-coercive power” (Deus Vult: The Geopolitics of the Catholic Church, 2010), the Church runs 5,500 hospitals, 18,000 clinics, 16,000 homes for the elderly and those with special needs, with 65 percent of them located in underdeveloped and developing countries.

And :

"Consider Caritas, the confederation of Catholic aid agencies that spent billions of dollars for poor humanity. Then sum up all the small-scale charitable projects of more than 200,000 Catholic parishes around the world and those of individual religious orders such as the Franciscans, Jesuits, Dominicans, Opus Dei, Vincentians, and others."

Quoted from codcheeky

Do you have the moral right as a Christian to say everyone else is wrong
?
I think there is truth in all religions yet some are truer to the mark than others and Jesus was the living embodiment of that.

Quoted from codcheeky

Do you believe in Angels and dragons?Evolution?
I believe there is some sort of angelic presence yes.This is due to a one of profound experience I had when young and where my faith in God comes from.As for dragons I think thats a slightly naive thing to ask but  yes I do believe in dragons as they exist eg the Komado dragon in Indonesia .

As for evolution 100% it exists .

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 447
Sandford1981
September 10, 2020, 3:45pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +2,074
Gold Stars: 59
Quoted from codcheeky

The church has a history of burning heretics and encouraging the burning of pagans, starting wars and crusades.

Crusades you say! Kingdom of Heaven is a decent watch.

“I know writers who use subtext and they’re all cowards.” –Garth Marenghi
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 447
Sandford1981
September 10, 2020, 3:49pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from Rick12

but  yes I do believe in dragons as they exist eg the Komado dragon in Indonesia .

Komodo Dragon you say! There’s a good scene from Skyfall involving Bond, 2 of them and some heavies. Excellent film

Private Message
Reply: 13 - 447
Rick12
September 10, 2020, 3:55pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Sandford1981

Komodo Dragon you say! There’s a good scene from Skyfall involving Bond, 2 of them and some heavies. Excellent film
Yes  

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 447
Abdul19
September 10, 2020, 7:09pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.42
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,449
Gold Stars: 214
Komodo also an ace Mauro Picotto tune from about 2000.

Sorry, wrong thread!

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 447
Sandford1981
September 12, 2020, 10:28am
Fine Wine Drinker
The Report

Idealistic Senate staffer Daniel J. Jones, tasked by his boss to lead an investigation into the CIA's post 9/11 Detention and Interrogation Program, uncovers shocking secrets.

8/10

Really enjoyed this. Adam Driver was very good as per.

Private Message
Reply: 16 - 447
ginnywings
September 12, 2020, 11:33am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 538
I also enjoyed The Report and would also give it 8/10.

Film in a similar vein is Dark Waters about the dangers of Teflon and the cover up by Du Pont.

Always enjoy Mark Ruffalo and the rest of the cast are good too. Another 8/10
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 447
Sandford1981
September 12, 2020, 12:43pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings
I also enjoyed The Report and would also give it 8/10.

Film in a similar vein is Dark Waters about the dangers of Teflon and the cover up by Du Pont.

Always enjoy Mark Ruffalo and the rest of the cast are good too. Another 8/10

Will give it a watch. Mark Ruffalo is top drawer

Private Message
Reply: 18 - 447
Rick12
September 12, 2020, 3:26pm
Vodka Drinker
Quite a gory one but worth a watch none the less. Hostel 3 (2011).Ive seen the previous two and there not bad. About tourists who are taken hostage and tortured.Think its glamorised but loosely based on reality.Another thing  Quentin Tarantino had some part in directing the film who is one of my favourite directors.

6/10

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 447
45 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.