Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Film Club
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 40 Guests

Film Club

This thread currently has 20,554 views. Print
45 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Sandford1981
September 9, 2020, 10:41am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +2,074
Gold Stars: 59
The first rule of film club is...well...erm...talk about films. This isn’t your favourite Film (As with the favourite films thread) but simply the last film you saw or a film you like. Let’s face it, films can be great without being in your top ten of all time. It’s good to act as a guide if people are stuck for something to watch.

I watched Resistance (2020) last night.

The story of mime Marcel Marceau as he works with a group of Jewish boy scouts and the French Resistance to save the lives of ten thousand orphans during World War II.

It’s been panned by critics and a lot of people haven’t enjoyed it but I thought it was very good. 7/10

“I know writers who use subtext and they’re all cowards.” –Garth Marenghi
Private Message
cmackenzie4
September 9, 2020, 11:01am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 11.29
Rep Score: +130 / -10
Approval: +14,320
Gold Stars: 33
The last film I watched (last week) was Rita, Sue and Bob too, it always makes me laugh does that film

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 447
Manchester Mariner
September 9, 2020, 6:07pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +11 / -3
Approval: +2,804
Gold Stars: 41
Watched Baby Driver last week which I thought was a cracking different spin on the heist genre. I dont think you actually see any of the heists but it's a proper good pot boiler. Also watched Spotlight again when it was on the telly recently, saw it originally at the cinema. Really good film about journalists working on a story to expose systemic child abuse by priests and the cover up by the Catholic church in Boston. Haunting credits sequence too were they list all the incidents and locations of child abuse by catholic priests across the world including some very close to home. Not your standard Saturday night 'sit back and relax' movie but real powerful cinema. It might still be on the Iplayer.

"Lovelly stuff! not my words but the words of Shakin Stevens."
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 447
Sandford1981
September 9, 2020, 7:42pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from Manchester Mariner
Watched Baby Driver last week which I thought was a cracking different spin on the heist genre. I dont think you actually see any of the heists but it's a proper good pot boiler. Also watched Spotlight again when it was on the telly recently, saw it originally at the cinema. Really good film about journalists working on a story to expose systemic child abuse by priests and the cover up by the Catholic church in Boston. Haunting credits sequence too were they list all the incidents and locations of child abuse by catholic priests across the world including some very close to home. Not your standard Saturday night 'sit back and relax' movie but
real powerful cinema. It might still be on the Iplayer.

I enjoyed baby driver too - solid entertainment.
Spotlight is an absolutely outstanding film. Great cast, harrowing but brilliantly done.
I seem to remember that and the big short as being 2 of my favourite films that year. Again great cast, story and film.

Private Message
Reply: 3 - 447
ginnywings
September 10, 2020, 12:01am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 537
Also enjoyed Spotlight, Big Short and Baby Driver.

Almost watched Resistance last night funnily enough and didn't realise the Marcel Marceau connection. In the end i plumped for Outpost, which is the true story of a military base, manned by American soldiers in Afghanistan, with the purpose of winning the hearts and minds of the locals. It was situated in a valley, surrounded on all sides by sheer mountains and was shot at constantly by the Taliban, who could overlook it's frankly ludicrous position. Eventually it was subjected to an all out attack and the soldiers had to fight for their lives. I'm not a huge fan of war films as a rule but it was ok, and showed the impossible situations some soldiers find themselves in when given orders from on high that they know are ridiculous, not to mention extremely dangerous and futile, but they have to follow orders. 6/10

The roll call of the dead at the end was pretty sad.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 447
Rick12
September 10, 2020, 7:31am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from Sandford1981

I watched Resistance (2020) last night.

The story of mime Marcel Marceau as he works with a group of Jewish boy scouts and the French Resistance to save the lives of ten thousand orphans during World War II.

It’s been panned by critics and a lot of people haven’t enjoyed it but I thought it was very good. 7/10
Saw it recently .I liked Resistance as well.Like you I give it around 7/10. Surprised that some critics gave it a poor mark.Its just shows that opinion is subjective and like someone once said in the army "opinions are like bumholes everyone has one  ".

I have a subscription with Amazon prime though watched a film via a family member via netfilx recently . Quite thought provoking. "The platform"  released in 2019.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 447
Rick12
September 10, 2020, 7:48am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Manchester Mariner
. Also watched Spotlight again when it was on the telly recently, saw it originally at the cinema. Really good film about journalists working on a story to expose systemic child abuse by priests and the cover up by the Catholic church in Boston. Haunting credits sequence too were they list all the incidents and locations of child abuse by catholic priests across the world including some very close to home. Not your standard Saturday night 'sit back and relax' movie but real powerful cinema. It might still be on the Iplayer.
Yes Ive seen similar eg  a true film based on abuses by priests to Aborigine children.

Its a shame that a very small percentage of priests give the Catholic church a bad name. Ive been lucky to have met some truly holy genuine priests in my time that have helped me heal from trauma Ive experienced when younger.Likewise the current Pope Francis who I think is a breadth of fresh air has been strong on the issue and in 2019  promised an end to cover-ups, saying that all abusers would be brought to justice.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 447
Sandford1981
September 10, 2020, 10:01am
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from Rick12
Saw it recently .I liked Resistance as well.Like you I give it around 7/10. Surprised that some critics gave it a poor mark.Its just shows that opinion is subjective and like someone once said in the army "opinions are like bumholes everyone has one  ".

I have a subscription with Amazon prime though watched a film via a family member via netfilx recently . Quite thought provoking. "The platform"  released in 2019.

Glad it wasn’t just me then! I thought the guy who played the Nazi lieutenant did a great job.

Private Message
Reply: 7 - 447
codcheeky
September 10, 2020, 12:27pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +1,251
Gold Stars: 31
Quoted from Rick12
Yes Ive seen similar eg  a true film based on abuses by priests to Aborigine children.

Its a shame that a very small percentage of priests give the Catholic church a bad name. Ive been lucky to have met some truly holy genuine priests in my time that have helped me heal from trauma Ive experienced when younger.Likewise the current Pope Francis who I think is a breadth of fresh air has been strong on the issue and in 2019  promised an end to cover-ups, saying that all abusers would be brought to justice.

I think the proof will be in the pudding for convictions, the church of all denominations has closed ranks and covered stuff up for years without count. That some are decent doesn’t alter the fact they haven’t called out the church on abuse. Religion is about power and mind control, it is up to anyone to believe what they want but it is has the same amount of proof as fairies, our patron saint killed a dragon, do you believe that nonsense?

Private Message
Reply: 8 - 447
Rick12
September 10, 2020, 12:57pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from codcheeky

I think the proof will be in the pudding for convictions, the church of all denominations has closed ranks and covered stuff up for years without count. That some are decent doesn’t alter the fact they haven’t called out the church on abuse. Religion is about power and mind control, it is up to anyone to believe what they want but it is has the same amount of proof as fairies, our patron saint killed a dragon, do you believe that nonsense?

Thing is Codcheeky Jesus was a historical figure that most serious historians agree existed.Whether he rose from the dead after 3 days is a question of faith but Ive seen first hand how it can heal people that have come from tough criminal backgrounds and turned their lives around for the better.Hence one lad I knew who was a tough Irish gypsy who was forever getting into fights in pubs,engaged in other criminal activity  been in prison etc said that no psychotherapist healed him.All were  rubbish in his view.The only one that healed him was faith in Jesus and a great Catholic priest which I also had the privilege of meeting.Again there are similar stories from countless others.

As for Jesus my view on him is he was a radical Jew that tried to do something good in the society he lived in at the time.As for his death and resurrection  thats a question of faith .I believe at the time some disciples may have truly felt they experienced visions of his resurrection whilst others may have experienced his resurrection as a sort of spiritual feeling which was embellished by later man .Hence felt his presence.I tend to side the with the latter.

All what the Catholic church stands for is a direct link back to Jesus apostles.I admit throughout history the church has done bad but this is mans will not that of Jesus which Pope Francis has alluded to.Hence he acknowledges things have to be  improved .Overall though I think the church has done more good than bad though.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 447
45 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Film Club

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.