This thread currently has 2,528 views. Print
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
promotion plaice
August 6, 2020, 10:08pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +16,996
Gold Stars: 193

So the salary cap vote takes place today.

GTFC all for it and Scunny against it if I remember rightly.

Hope they vote for a salary cap but I'm not holding my breath.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
WayneBurnettsJockstrap
August 6, 2020, 10:57pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.77
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +827
Gold Stars: 117
So do I, as it'll allegedly put everyone on a level playing field (scuse the pun).

And better than that, it'll p1ss on Scunny from a great height.

But Mr Day has already said that he wouldnt normally go above £1.5 million anyway, so that makes it even better if it stops other teams trying to buy their way out of the league
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 21
aldi_01
August 6, 2020, 11:13pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
I think the discussion elsewhere provides much more in-depth reasons as to why it actually isn’t likely to be a good idea.

I know people think it will provide a level playing field but FFP has been circumvented successfully, this will be no different.

I can’t see many teams actually voting for it, why would they? It’s not their fault they generate more income, get higher gates and so on.

A salary cap is unlikely to stop a Bury or Macclesfield situation.

Wages aren’t the only reason teams perform better than others, facilities, training, coaching, ambition, they all have an impact.

I wonder if this would have been tabled had we not just had a pandemic?

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 21
mimma
August 6, 2020, 11:32pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,567
Gold Stars: 78
If the salary cap is set at £1.5 million, and we manage to sell Max Wright for £3 million, get to the semi final of the cup, making another £3 million, but we can't actually spend this extra money?

Madness
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 21
WayneBurnettsJockstrap
August 7, 2020, 12:58am

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.77
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +827
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from mimma
If the salary cap is set at £1.5 million, and we manage to sell Max Wright for £3 million, get to the semi final of the cup, making another £3 million, but we can't actually spend this extra money?

Madness

No but if we perform that well and make silly money (for us anyway) you shove the excess in an offshore account (metaphorically) and then when we get promoted we wouldn't have money worries for a season or two in one division higher, or even if we did remain in League 2.

Either that, or put the rest towards a new ground.

And Scunny would STILL be moaning.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 21
ex-merseymariner
August 7, 2020, 4:56am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +12 / -10
Approval: +1,401
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from mimma

Madness

We could buy a new ground and/or pay off benign debts instead of wasting it on player salaries.

#newera;   New owners, new approach;  'we bought Grimsby Town to help renew the place we love'  
Join the Trust, get involved: UP THE MARINERS!  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 21
Davec
August 7, 2020, 7:12am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,440
Gold Stars: 42
Quoted from mimma

Madness

The money can be spent on many things, towards a new stadium as pointed out, spent on strengthening the infrastructure at the club etc
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 21
aldi_01
August 7, 2020, 7:31am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
So could the money that has been paid to the owner so far...we’re led to believe it hasn’t been used to bring down the benign loans and we were told it couldn’t be spent on players...

I really don’t see how salary caps at this stage will actually be effective but some clearly like the idea. All about opinions I guess...

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 21
Boris Johnson
August 7, 2020, 7:49am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +2 / -15
Approval: -2,797
Gold Stars: 4
all for the salary cap....hope it wins the day
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 21
louth_in_the_south
August 7, 2020, 7:56am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +24 / -12
Approval: +5,656
Gold Stars: 94
Just think ...managers will have to be managers and not just go to their chairman and ask for another player

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 21
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › So the salary cap vote is today

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.