This thread currently has 2,687 views. Print
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Skipton mariner
August 2, 2020, 5:36pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +124
As a Skipton lad I am often asked why the hell do I support Town. The reason is my dad who is from Lincolnshire (Somersby) and started taking me to local matches when Town were playing. The first game I saw was at Burnley which I think finished 1-1 and I got Ricardo Gabbiadini’s autograph! My Dad is on the verge of succumbing to the vile beast that is cancer so I thought it would be a good time to record on here some of our most memorable moments watching Town together to cheer me up and bring back some fond memories for those who grew up watching Town in the early 90s

1-1 away at Huddersfield (Leeds Road) in a promotion year - my Dad got me into the players lounge and I still have the program signed by legends like McDermott, Gilbert and Childs.

Losing four nil away at Barnsley on December 14th (my birthday)- will always remember the rendition of always look on the bright side of life when the fourth went in!

Losing six one to Bolton at Burnden Park in the supermarket end on a very wet Tuesday night

Thrashing Oldham I think 5 nil the year we got relegated from what is now the championship and following that up with an incredible match at Bradford which I think we won 4-3. Swain really got them playing by the end of that season

Semi final at Burnley (What a goal from Donovan) and Wembley final v Bournemouth - will always remember my Dad jumping on his chair waving Harry Haddock around like a lunatic.

Losing seven one to Sheffield Wednesday with a packed away end and what a goal from Oster!

Anfield (twice but you know the one I mean)

When things turned sour we both lost a bit of interest and I don’t think we went to a single game together in the Slade mark 1 season. Strangely the non league period rekindled our shared passion for Town and we went to all the local games. I never thought In a million years I would be watching Town play a league match at Guiseley! (My wife’s home town). That culminated in a trip to Wembley and my favourite ever Town game with the brace from Omar and that incredible feeling of relief when Nathan slotted the third

The last match we went to was Bradford away and I would like to thank Ian Holloway from the bottom of my heart - for the first time in years we were watching Town play with flair passion and attacking intent and we both remarked it was like going back to the 90s. I am glad that that is our final shared memory of Town.  

Love you Dad
Logged Offline
Private Message
thevera
August 2, 2020, 6:11pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +10 / -5
Approval: +991
Gold Stars: 5
That is such a great post.
Really well written, best wishes to you and your dad.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 12
Theimperialcoroner
August 2, 2020, 8:45pm

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,141
Gold Stars: 102
Beautifully put mate. My dad is fortunately still with us but I’ll remember forever his first ever trip to London to see our first ever trip to Wenbley. Standing on Wembley Way with his packing up in a Petits bag held high.
Watching Town makes magical memories that pAss down the generations, it’s a glue that holds us together in often terrible times like you are experiencing now.

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 12
grimsby pete
August 2, 2020, 10:14pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,781
Gold Stars: 222
My dad took me to Blundell Park in 1955 and I was hooked.

Did Not do many away days but took me to Scunthorpe when we won 3-1,

He did take me to go watch Man City v Sheffield Utd no idea why.

He also took me to see Liverpool play at Scunthorpe . Liverpool won of course.

I in return took him to see Ivano Bonetti when he was getting on a bit . Dad I mean not Ivano.

We were playing Leicester and when we got to the park we found Ivano was injured and could not play.

Well I tried to give him a treat.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 12
Skipton mariner
August 4, 2020, 11:28am
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +124
Sadly my Dad past away last night. Lets hope Olly's troops can inspire my Man City supporting 14 year old and Everton supporting 11 year old to keep up the family tradition and get behind the mighty black and white stripes!

UTM

RIP Dad
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 12
jock dock tower
August 4, 2020, 4:45pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +55 / -12
Approval: +3,164
Wonderful, poignant post - yours too Skipton - and it shows just how much football can define our lives.

Do Town have a Buy a Brick scheme for fans, to turn such memories into longstanding messages for fans of the future? Would be ideal to put something down in concrete like this?

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 12
cmackenzie4
August 4, 2020, 6:54pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 11.27
Rep Score: +130 / -10
Approval: +14,335
Gold Stars: 33
Fantastic post Skipton mariner, so sorry to hear of your dads passing mate.

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 12
A.l.f.
August 4, 2020, 7:06pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +687
Gold Stars: 7
Very moving post Skipton, put a lump in my throat and then saw your second post lower down.  My sincere condolences to you and my best wishes go out to you.
Football has a special place in our hearts and supporting a lower league club is something premiership fans who live locally just won't get.  My Dad is deteriating through old age and his memory is going, but even though he didnt follow football took me to my first few Town games - we drew two 0-0 and lost the other 3-1....... but i was hooked and GTFC is a big part of my life.  I love visiting new grounds and at the last count was almost at 140.  Love planning weekend and short breaks around Town matches away and chatting to the opposition fans over a drink or two.
My memories are too many to bore everyone with.  Boreham Wood was a really fun day with the stewards and also Inflateables at Barnet too.  Trevor  Wymarks debut when beating Chelsea, winning at Everton and Liverpool and of course the emotional win at Wembley v FGR.  Bobby Cumming battling under floodlights, Birtles classy hat-trick at Orient,  Futchers calm, Cunnington and Cockers running through brick walls and the connection that the promotion team of 2016 had with us fans .... i could go on for ever and memories should be cherished and i hope at this difficult time it gives you some comfort and a few smiles.
Take Care.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 12
bradzmilne
August 4, 2020, 10:57pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +40 / -7
Approval: +1,385
Gold Stars: 29
What a wonderfully moving post SM and I’m so sorry to hear about your loss.

Football has this incredible tendency to create some of the greatest days and memories of anyone’s lifetime, how people can say “it’s just a game” is beyond me. It’s so much more than 90 minutes on a Saturday or Tuesday and you’ll cherish those memories forever.

My partner is from Skipton, so we spend quite a lot of time in the area. If you ever fancy a pint, coffee or a Stanforths Pork Pie for a natter about town, drop me a message.

Thoughts are with you and your family X

Sleep well Icey, Matty and Richard. Keep each other company up there xx

4 Relegations in 18 Years - John Fenty’s legacy.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 12
WayneBurnettsJockstrap
August 5, 2020, 1:34am

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.77
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +827
Gold Stars: 117
My Dad's claim to fame is that he was personally scouted and offered a contract by the late, great Bill Shankly.

Sadly he had just started a new job on Immingham Docks and his new boss wouldn't release him to play on Saturdays.

The reason? His boss was a staunch Scunthorpe United supporter.

My old dad has said he wants the story telling at his funeral, so those who have been fortunate enough so far not to have been regaled the story, will finally get the chance.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 12
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Shared Memories

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.