3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
GollyGTFC
July 8, 2020, 5:50pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,977
Gold Stars: 356
Entertainment is included in the package of VAT cuts that Rishi Sunak announced earlier. 6 month cut from 20% to 5%.

I fully expect the club to pass on the cut to supporters given how much fans have donated.

Based on last season’s prices that would mean..

Early Bird (Main, Pontoon & Lower Findus) £20 £17.50

Upper Findus & Matchday (all other stands) £22 £19.25

The cut basically knocks 1/8 off all ticket prices.

Season tickets should also be cheaper as a result.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
jamesgtfc
July 8, 2020, 6:27pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,942
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from GollyGTFC
Entertainment is included in the package of VAT cuts that Rishi Sunak announced earlier. 6 month cut from 20% to 5%.

I fully expect the club to pass on the cut to supporters given how much fans have donated.

Assuming we have the opportunity to play games in front of fans before then of course.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 25
HertsGTFC
July 8, 2020, 7:54pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,884
Gold Stars: 227
Quoted from GollyGTFC

Yeah but the cuts are for providers of entertainment based upon the last few years I’m not convinced we qualify.

Seriously though a positive move that all being well will be used to boost attendances & merchandise sales etc...

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 25
SDUTM
July 8, 2020, 8:06pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Approval: +179
Gold Stars: 2
Quoted from GollyGTFC

A price cut does the club no favours at all as unpopular as that may be. For me it should mean no price increase rather than a price cut as we still have a black hole in the finances to plug. If we was flush in money, then yes the club should reward the fans by cutting prices however we are not. I would not expect any discounts to be announced any time soon as we are likely to be behind closed doors for a while, with a very expensive testing regime for Covid-19 of the players. Club has to think all about survival for now as JF is not going to plug any gap in the finances anytime soon.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 25
promotion plaice
July 8, 2020, 8:23pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +16,996
Gold Stars: 193
Quoted from SDUTM
Club has to think all about survival for now as JF is not going to plug any gap in the finances anytime soon.

Maybe now is the time for Mr Fenty to write off some of the debt owed to him to help the club survive.

Us STH's that can afford it have been more than willing not to ask for a refund so as to help the club.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 25
GollyGTFC
July 8, 2020, 8:48pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,977
Gold Stars: 356
Quoted from SDUTM

A price cut does the club no favours at all as unpopular as that may be. For me it should mean no price increase rather than a price cut as we still have a black hole in the finances to plug. If we was flush in money, then yes the club should reward the fans by cutting prices however we are not. I would not expect any discounts to be announced any time soon as we are likely to be behind closed doors for a while, with a very expensive testing regime for Covid-19 of the players. Club has to think all about survival for now as JF is not going to plug any gap in the finances anytime soon.

It’s not a price cut!

For example, the current price for an early bird ticket in the Pontoon is...

£16.67 (Ticket Price)
£3.33 VAT @ 20%)
£20.00 Total

Now that VAT has been cut to 5% it should be...

£16.67 (Ticket Price)
£0.83 (VAT @ 20%)
£17.50 Total

The club still get £16.67. HMRC get £2.50 less.

Quite frankly if the club don’t pass on the VAT cut they would be an absolute disgrace. I’m sure they will do the right thing!
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 5 - 25
SDUTM
July 8, 2020, 9:01pm
Shandy Drinker
Quoted from GollyGTFC

It’s not a price cut!

For example, the current price for an early bird ticket in the Pontoon is...

£16.67 (Ticket Price)
£3.33 VAT @ 20%)
£20.00 Total

Now that VAT has been cut to 5% it should be...

£16.67 (Ticket Price)
£0.83 (VAT @ 20%)
£17.50 Total

The club still get £16.67. HMRC get £2.50 less.

Quite frankly if the club don’t pass on the VAT cut they would be an absolute disgrace. I’m sure they will do the right thing!

I was expecting a price increase with no early bird for season tickets
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 25
SDUTM
July 8, 2020, 9:15pm
Shandy Drinker
Quoted from promotion plaice

Maybe now is the time for Mr Fenty to write off some of the debt owed to him to help the club survive.

Us STH's that can afford it have been more than willing not to ask for a refund so as to help the club.

Fenty writing off debt is always going to be a good thing for the club moving forward, although this does not help put money into the club it just reduces our liabilities. A club with no liabilities is always going to be an attractive prospect for any prospective buyer and it is about time that this debt was written off! 20 years of free hospitality at away venues and at BP, several visits to Wembley in the Royal Box for free plus many other things that running a club has afforded Fenty is not bad for the small amount of money loaned to the club. I say small as it’s small compared to what some owners / majority shareholders have given to their club rather than loaned. There are very few clubs that do not cost their owners money as owners roll the dice for promotion by investing in the team. Fenty does not want to invest any money other than what we generate and whilst that’s good as we are self sustainable, it also means that we are very unlikely to be free of Fenty as there are very few out there prepared to pay off his loan and buy the club.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 25
Heswall Mariner
July 8, 2020, 9:35pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +583
Gold Stars: 30
After all that's gone on its back to knock JF - eh? Stick together guys.xx
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 25
wigworld
July 8, 2020, 9:55pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.58
Rep Score: +32 / -3
Approval: +2,080
Gold Stars: 29
I thought it was hospitality, rather than entertainment. Neither of which have been offered at Blundell Park over the last few years.  
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 9 - 25
Rodley Mariner
July 8, 2020, 10:03pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,239
Gold Stars: 176
Golly is right. The idea of a VAT cut is to help keep products affordable so people keep being able to afford them not to make the products more profitable for those selling them. A lot of town fans are going to see challenging times in the coming months like people all over the country. The club absolutely will benefit from passing on the VAT cut as more people will be able to come to games.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 25
Rodley Mariner
July 8, 2020, 10:04pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,239
Gold Stars: 176
And if people can afford to give the VAT saving to the club then great - buy shares, spend it in the club shop, buy a ticket for a friend who has just lost their job.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 25
arryarryarry
July 8, 2020, 10:23pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from SDUTM

As has been mentioned it is not a price cut that affects GTFC as they will still get the full pre-VAT price.

If football qualifies then it would be a reduction in what fans pay and may just mean more turn up for the games if fans are allowed in, meaning more cash for GTFC.
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 25
LH
July 8, 2020, 10:28pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,457
Gold Stars: 172
Would be really good of the football authorities and government to get together and let the football attending public know whether the debate about reduced ticket costs is worth having or are we watching it all on the internet next season.
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 25
SDUTM
July 9, 2020, 8:09am
Shandy Drinker
Quoted from LH
Would be really good of the football authorities and government to get together and let the football attending public know whether the debate about reduced ticket costs is worth having or are we watching it all on the internet next season.

It’s a case of the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing! I think the difficult situation for leagues 1 & 2 is if they have to follow the current testing regime which the club has stated will cost £10k a week. If difficult to see how any club could sustain such costs, especially with no fans in the ground providing income. I would imagine that most clubs cannot afford to come back with an imposed testing regime that they have to pay for, the EFL & FA should provide this service for free or ask the players to visit testing stations where the tests are provided for free.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 25
golfer
July 9, 2020, 8:29am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,418
Gold Stars: 115
Hard to see it costing £10K a week
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 25
Davec
July 9, 2020, 8:41am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,440
Gold Stars: 42
If the club cut the prices by 15% inline the with the VAT cut, and increased them again in January when the VAT goes back up to 20% people will be criticising the club for raising prices by 15%!

The club can't win
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 25
HertsGTFC
July 9, 2020, 8:57am

Barley Wine Drinker
The VAT rate has been reduced to help kick start the economy & encourage people to buy more goods & services as prices will be cheaper not to protect vendors profitability. Any business that does not use this to drive more volume will ultimately recover a lot slower if at all.

Simple - While the cut is in place all businesses it applies to should pass the benefit on to its customers. When it reapplies prices will go up like they did when the rate went from 15% to 17.5 and then 20%.

The HMRC are currently investigating a number of businesses who have abused the furlough scheme you’d imagine that they’d take the same approach if greedy businesses bank the VAT benefit.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 25
Lincoln Mariner 56
July 9, 2020, 9:29am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,650
Gold Stars: 72
Quoted from HertsGTFC
The VAT rate has been reduced to help kick start the economy & encourage people to buy more goods & services as prices will be cheaper not to protect vendors profitability. Any business that does not use this to drive more volume will ultimately recover a lot slower if at all.

Simple - While the cut is in place all businesses it applies to should pass the benefit on to its customers. When it reapplies prices will go up like they did when the rate went from 15% to 17.5 and then 20%.

The HMRC are currently investigating a number of businesses who have abused the furlough scheme you’d imagine that they’d take the same approach if greedy businesses bank the VAT benefit.

Are you too young to remember when VAT replaced purchase tax? Think it initially may have been set at 5% but quickly increased to 8% in early seventies but buying “luxury” items like a colour tv attracted a much higher rate but memory does not allow me to recall that level.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 25
HertsGTFC
July 9, 2020, 10:15am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56

Are you too young to remember when VAT replaced purchase tax? Think it initially may have been set at 5% but quickly increased to 8% in early seventies but buying “luxury” items like a colour tv attracted a much higher rate but memory does not allow me to recall that level.

Yes just before my time but it might explain why we didn’t get a colour telly until the 74 World Cup.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 25
arryarryarry
July 9, 2020, 11:50am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from Davec
If the club cut the prices by 15% inline the with the VAT cut, and increased them again in January when the VAT goes back up to 20% people will be criticising the club for raising prices by 15%!

The club can't win

Give over, this is a Government decision not the clubs.

Same as this 50% offer for meals out, just a boost to get people out and spending money. People won't criticize pubs when the meal goes back to full price.
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 25
Les Brechin
July 9, 2020, 1:21pm

Posts Per Day: 4.18
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,693
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from Davec

The club can't win

I doubt that very much. I would think most fans will be astute enough to realise that it would be a VAT increase and beyond the control of the club.

But then again, who knows.  

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 25
jamesgtfc
July 9, 2020, 5:52pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,942
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from Les Brechin

I doubt that very much. I would think most fans will be astute enough to realise that it would be a VAT increase and beyond the control of the club.

But then again, who knows.  

I think there will be pressure on some organisations to cut their prices when VAT increases by 15% to normal levels again.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 25
HertsGTFC
July 9, 2020, 6:26pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from jamesgtfc

I think there will be pressure on some organisations to cut their prices when VAT increases by 15% to normal levels again.

You would hope so but historically many retailers if nobody else have used VAT adjustments to creep prices up.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 25
psgmariner
July 10, 2020, 12:40pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.69
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,480
Gold Stars: 33
The VAT rate change doesn't affect entry in to sporting events.

Private Message
Reply: 24 - 25
golfer
July 16, 2020, 9:17pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,418
Gold Stars: 115
Quoted from Davec

The club can't win

Sorry Davec - look at your little sum above - it seems right but I am afraid it's not
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 25
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › 6 month VAT cut

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.